a Travesty in action

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Travess, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Hahaha, I just had to laugh when I reached this part! :D

Taking things very slowly after respiratory trouble with Sanchin? :D You, mister, are crazy!

2. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Yup, proper loco me...

Maybe I should have clarified that I only focused on proper technique, body alignment and correct points of tension and relaxation throughout the kata, whilst completely leaving out the 'Sanchin Breathing' part.

That better Doc? Can I be declared sane again now? ;)

Travess

3. Nachi

Hehe, you suuure know how to talk your way out of it :D
    Hopefully you're not just making excuses :)
    No really, if you can do Sanchin, you are probably already well :D Which is good. If you're not, I hope you'll be soon, so take care and don't push yourself :)

4. Travess

Geeze, you sound just like my Wife!!! :evil:

Thanks for the kind sentiments Martina, I shall certainly try my best. (Or at least come up with a lame excuse as to why I didn't)

Travess

5. Nachi

You know, I need to practise for when I once perhaps get married, too :whistle:
    Sai hi to her for me! ;)

Welcome :)
    (Then at least be a bit more persuasive) :D

6. Travess

That I did Nachi :D

Wk 19 – Year 2 (07/11/16 – 14/11/16)

Monday:

Karate @ 60 minutes

Our senior Instructor was onsite this evening (rare treat) so I knew some Light Contact Sparring was gonna be our opener, without even having to be told – 8 x 1 minute rounds (Changing partners between rounds)

We then moved onto Kata & Bunkai, specifically for my group Seyunchin Kata firstly applying Sanchin Principles where applicable to certain parts of the Kata (i.e. Keeping elbows tight, with minimal elbow movement) for the Kata portion, then for the Bunkai, taking a specific section of the Kata, and applying it Stand up Striking, Stand Up Grappling and Ground Fighting

Tuesday:
    Rest Day

Wednesday:

This will be my own real opportunity to get in some Strength Training this week, as the rest of the week will be dedicated explicitly to Karate!

• 6 x 10 reps @ Raised Leg Sit Ups (Raising hands to feet)
    • 6 x 10 reps @ Push Ups
    • 6 x 3 reps @ Chin Ups
    • 6 x 10 reps @ Weighted (38 lbs) Squats

Thursday:
    Rest Day

(Note: No Training for me tonight, as tomorrow morning we (me and my fellow club members) will be heading off for our Annual Residential Training Retreat) in a beautiful, converted Farmhouse, and surrounding buildings, and I wanted to be home to put my girls to bed, as I’d not be seeing them for 4 days / 3 nights.

Friday:

Residential Day 1:
    We arrived at the retreat mid-afternoon, so by the time all the unpacking, accommodation allocation and briefs had been squared away, we were only scheduled for 2 sessions (Strategies and Tactics followed by In-depth Bunkai). Both of which were replaced though, with 1 double session of Power Generation Pad Drills which looked at various ways of ‘landing a punch’, including Wild, ‘Saturday night special’ Haymakers, Kris Wilders relaxed fist, zero hip strikes and Peter Consterdine’s ‘Double Hip’ theory

Saturday:

Residential Day 2:
    The morning was broken down in to 2 separate 1 hour sessions, the first of which was Sparring Strategies which looked identifying your overall aim, the strategies you’d need to use to ensure that aim, and then the tactics required to reinforce your strategies (If that makes sense?)

The second hour was then dedicated to Bunkai Rules and Principles now, there are various schools of thought on this, many of which are in direct contrast with each other. Rather than ‘cross contaminate’ our pool of thought, we singled out Kris Wilder’s “Way of Kata” book as our checklist for this session.

After Lunch, we had a 2 hour session on a non-Goju Kata specifically Heian Sandan, firstly walking through the Kata parrot fashion, then partnering up, in an effort to apply the Bunkai Principles that were researched in the previous session.

The 4th and final session of the day looked at Dealing with Multiple Attackers which included various Sparring, Pad and non-compliant Partner Drills highlighting the necessity of intent and triggerable (not sure if that is even a word???) aggression, if you want to stand even half a chance.

Sunday:

Residential Day 3:
    Today was dedicated to Scenario (or Sim Day) Training - The other 11 attendees (Under my 2 Sensei, my Sempai and Myself were tasked with running the drills, arranging the briefs and safety) were kitted out in our Spartan (or Spartan Goddess) gear, and run in turn through a variety of situations to test their awareness, fence, verbal de-escalation, posturing and exit strategy skills. Group back briefs were given at the end of each full run through.

This, despite being wrapped up by 4pm, was essentially the final (only) session of the day, with the exception of an opt in Bunkai Think Tank Session (which took place around the fireplace, in the early evening) for those who were struggling in this area. (I however went on a supply run at this time)

Monday:

Residential Day 4: (Morning Only)
    We had just enough time this morning before we were due to ‘Check out’ for a single 1 hour session, which took the form of a Kubotan Drill lesson, looking at its uses a joint manipulation tool, as well as a force multiplier.

Travess

7. Travess

Wk 20 – Year 2 (14/11/16 – 20/11/16)

Monday:

Karate @ 60 minutes

Tonight’s session centred around Tensho Kata which we ran thru several times to blow out the cobwebs, and to allow the less practiced to gain an insight. We then watched Sempai run thru it a couple of times, to give a ‘Best Practice’ idea of performing the Kata, before finishing up with a few Pad Drills dedicated to the close range movements of the Kata.

Tuesday:
    Rest Day

Wednesday:

Wednesday is starting to become a bit of a go to Strength Training day for me, (which is nice, but I don’t want to end getting stuck in a rut)

• 6 x 12 reps @ Dumbbell Flyes (22 lbs each side)
    • 6 x 15 reps @ Leg Raises
    • 5 x 10 reps @ Dumbbell Curls (22 lbs in each arm)
    • 6 x 12 reps @ Side Shoulder Raises (13 lbs each side)
    • 6 x 10 reps @ Weighted Squats (45 lbs Total)

Also unexpectedly ended up squeezing well over 100+ Mae Geri’s via a spot of (what my Instructors terms as) ‘Stealth Training’ thanks to my eldest. (Anecdotal explanation: We have a mesh divider in our kitchen door way, which stands around 3 foot high, that I use to keep my youngest of the room whilst the oven is on. My eldest was stood just outside the kitchen, and thought that it’d be fun if I tried to get her with a single kick, from the other side of the divider, for every word she spoke – There were a lot!!! Oddly enough though, shortly after her final sentence of “Daddy, have you any idea of just how messy this kitchen looks?” which was greeted with 12 increasingly harder kicks, she no longer wanted to play… :evil:

Thursday:

Started today off with a little more of an Arm Workout as this really is one of my weakest areas – 100 x 22lb Dumbbell Curls (5 x 10 reps on each arm) / 60 x 22lb Tricep Barbell Curls

Karate @ 90 minutes

Attended class tonight, but was separated off with 3 other students, plus my Instructor, to go over specifics for an upcoming taster session demo at a local Primary school – Got to throw all 6ft 4, 16+ stone of my Uke a couple of times, as we went over some Bunkai to show, but beyond that, there really was zero physical training to speak of.

Friday:

Not really done real running, at least nothing over 3 km, for almost 2 months now (26th Sept was my last effort) and I’d decided today was gonna be the day. However, a planned road run turned into a Treadmill Run at the Gym, due to darkness falling (I am not a night time runner!) which turned into an out and out struggle!!! 10km @ 58m 33s which is a whole 6 minutes 17 seconds slower than my last 10k’er, which had its share of hills, and was still easier than Today’s offering.

Saturday & Sunday:
    Rest Days

Between Saturday morning Kids Karate, Saturday afternoon Kids parties, Sunday morning Kids Grading, and then needing to get my head down for a few hours, ahead of a night-shift I decided to give weekend Training a miss this weekend.

Travess

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  8. Travess

Wk 21 – Year 2 (21/11/16 – 27/11/16)

Monday:

Karate @ 60 minutes

Tonight was originally going to be a solely Shisochin Kata session, but that got quashed down to 10 minutes of revision at the end, with the preceding 50 minutes being spent on Power Generation and Pad Work specifically working on a few closer range strikes, such as Slaps, Upper Cut, Round Elbows and Back Elbows – Had the pleasure of working with a new Black Belt, who had joined our club at the start of the year, after moving on (relocating) from her previous club, which gave a nice fresh perspective on things.

Tuesday:

Well here we are, Tuesday this time, which will make a great substitute for my usual Wednesday afternoon Strength Training session!

• 100 x XR-Flyes (10 x 10 reps @ 22.1kg / 44 lbs)
    • 100 x Crunches / Leg Raises (Alternating between each)
    • 100 x Dumbbell Curls (5 x 10 reps @ 10kg / 22 lbs each side)
    • 100 x Weighted Squats (10 x 10 reps @ 22.1kg / 44 lbs)

Wednesday:

Been too long (again) since I had the opportunity to get out on the Heavy-Bag which I had actually planned to do yesterday, and which I had rescheduled for today, but which I still haven’t managed to accomplish!!! :bang:

I did however manage to squeeze in a short 5km Road Run @ 26m 54s today instead, whilst my eldest was in her weekly 30 minute swimming lesson. Not the cardio I’d planned for, but still, better than nothing.

Thursday:

Karate @ 90 minutes

Warmed up with a little Kata to start with, working thru Ichi, Ni, Saifa & Seiyunchin 2 times a piece (50% then 90%)
    We then partnered up for some Pad Drills looking at both Stand Up Striking & Restrictive Ground Striking Next up was some Compliant Chokes & Holds (Rear Naked, Scarf Hold and Guillotine) which was followed up with a Semi-Compliant Break Free Drill from Scarf Hold (partner was allowed to get the hold on, then it was best effort to escape) Finally, we finished things up with a Live, 6 Round Randori Drill (changing partners every other round) with aim of applying any 1 of the 3 chokes/holds practised above) (Note: Whilst I had a fair bit of success in this, both in the applying and the avoiding, rounds 3 & 4 really tested me – Reminder to self- Do more groundwork with Callum)

Friday:
    Rest Day

Today was originally meant to be a Body weight session day, but I picked up a minor foot and shoulder aggravation during last night’s ground fighting session, so decided to switch my days around.

Saturday:

Still didn’t really feel up to another Strength Training session this week, but as yesterday ended up being a Rest Day, and as I was looking after my girls, and couldn’t get on the Bag or go for a Run a figured I’d force a Bodyweight session.

• 5 sets of 10 reps @ Push Ups
    • 5 sets of 20 reps @ Crunches / Leg Raises (Alternating in 10’s)
    • 5 sets of 15 reps @ Tricep Dips
    • 5 sets of 20 reps @ Squats
    • 5 sets of 10 reps @ 10kg Bicep Curls (repeated each side – Not Bodyweight I know, I just wanted to throw it in there)

Sunday:
    Rest Day

Travess

9. Travess

Wk 22 – Year 2 (28/11/16 – 04/12/16)

Monday:

Karate @ 60 minutes

This was dubbed by my Instructor as a Kata 1st Aid Session in which we broke down in to pairs, and looked at various parts of Gekisai that we thought would warrant a bit more of an in depth scrutinisation. Once each group came up with a specific part of a specific section, we came together to introduce them into the Kata as a whole.

Tuesday:
    Rest Day

Wednesday:

A new Mini-Circuit Session is gonna ‘beta tested’ today, which will be made up of 5 rounds of a 5 Station Circuit
    • Station 1 @ 1 minute of Shadow fighting
    • Station 2 @ Sanchin Kata
    • Station 3 @ 10 x Burpees
    • Station 4 @ Tensho Kata
    • Station 5 @ 45 seconds rest

(Note: Burpees have always been my ‘Kryptonite’, struggling to do even 10 in one sitting, without seriously struggling to catch my breath. Today was no different, and if I am honest, I probably only did 10-15 good formed ones, with the rest ending up as only a close resemblance to what a Burpee should look like – Not to mention the detrimental effect they had on my Kata, specifically my structure and my grounding, during the last couple of rounds)

Thursday:

(Note: Picked up a wrist injury yesterday, working around the house, so I am gonna have to do away with any planned lifting, push ups etc, that I had scheduled for this week.)

AM: Had to drop my car off for it’s MOT this morning (feels like only last month I had the other one done…) so I had the pleasure of the 3 mile (Buggy) Walk Home which I then followed up with a 4 min Tabata Ab/Core Session (alternating exercise each minute)
    • Minute 1 @ Crunches (40 reps)
    • Minute 2 @ Leg Raises (32 reps)
    • Minute 3 @ Mason Twists (37 reps)
    • Minute 4 @ Plank (N/A)

PM: Karate @ 90 minutes

Jumped straight in with a few Pad Drills tonight, looking specifically at power generation and the ‘drive train’. (where the power is coming from, and how you are using it in the approach, the impact and in the full body involvement of the strike) We mainly just looked at 3 principle strikes Straight Punches, Hook Punches and Palm Strikes, though we did look at various ways of using each, and in doing so, how the ‘drive train’ would then differ in each case. (I of course restricted myself to only right hand striking)
    Next up was a bit of a fun little ‘Taster’ session (for some) on the uses of Ippon Ken in all its various guises, both as a strike and as a force multiplier/reinforcement tool. This was done on live ‘targets’ (our training partner) so that you can gauge an accurate account of the effect, compared to that of a normal strike.

(Note: Worked with a relatively new guy tonight, who came to use about 8 months ago as a Shotokan Brown Belt, but who very quickly showed signs of struggling to keep up with our Green belts, and is subsequently now wearing an Orange belt in our club – My take on him is that he has bags of potential, is ridiculously keen to learn, but struggles with even the most rudimentary of techniques [not to mention mind-set’s] which is holding him back a little. Gonna aim to work with him a bit more in the future, to see if I can’t help overcome these obstacles)

Friday:
    Rest Day

Today was intended to be a repeat of Wednesday’s circuit session, but following a dreadful night’s I decided to join my youngest, when she went down for her morning nap.

Saturday:

Warmed up with some light Kata this morning, running thru Shisochin Kata twice, with one offering of Gekisai Dai Ichi thrown in the middle.
    Next up – 30 minutes on the Heavy-Bag adding a couple of exercises to each round, with a 45 second rest between rounds.

Round 1: 1 minute on the Bag (Hands, Feet, Elbow & Knees) / 5 x Burpees / Tensho Kata
    Round 2: 1 minute on the Bag (Hands, Feet, Elbow & Knees) / 5 x Burpees / Tensho Kata
    Round 3: 1 minute on the Bag (Hand Strikes Only) / 5 x Burpees / Tensho Kata
    Round 4: 1 minute on the Bag (Kicks Only) / 5 x Burpees / Tensho Kata
    Round 5: 1 minute on the Bag (Hands, Feet, Elbow & Knees) / 5 x Burpees / Tensho Kata
    Round 6: 1 minute on the Bag (Hands, Feet, Elbow & Knees) / 5 x Burpees / Tensho Kata
    Round 7: 1 minute on the Bag (Hand Strikes Only) / 5 x Burpees / Tensho Kata
    Round 8: 2 minutes on the Bag (Kicks Only) / 10 x Burpees / Sanchin Kata / Tensho Kata

(Note: Kicks during the ‘Hands, Feet, Elbow & Knees’ rounds are limited to Knee Strikes, Front Kicks and Low Level [thigh] Round Kicks, whilst Kicks during the ‘Kicks Only’ rounds include Head Height Kicks, Spinning Kicks etc, as well as the above…)

Sunday:
    Rest Day

Travess

10. Travess

Wk 23 – Year 2 (05/12/16 – 11/12/16)

Monday:

Karate @ 60 minutes

Tonight’s session was dedicated to Kicking (following some stretching and warm up) specifically working on Mae Geri (Front Kick) and the variations of delivery (Push, Snap, Flick and Stomping Kicks) as well as desired target, and impact tool. (Ball of the Foot, Heel, Roof of the Foot etc.) About 20 minutes was spent on Padwork and another 20 minutes after that on a Free flowing / Conditioning Drill (drilling the above variations on a partner to A) [for the kicker] get a feel for how each varying strike effects the body mechanics of your opponent, and B) [for the ‘Human Target’] get a sense of how these kicks would feel if/when they landed.)

Tuesday:

Nice and simple 6km Road Run this morning, coming in at 32m 01s which although came in just over 90 seconds slower than my last 6km, actually had more uphill sections in it, which I am ultimately happy with.

Wednesday:
    Rest Day

Lost our childcare for the day today, so looking after my 1 year old all day, following on from a night-shift, left me feeling pretty drained (As I write this I have been awake for just over 27 hours, which will hopefully ensure a great night’s sleep, when I FINALLY make it up to bed…)

Thursday:

AM: To make up for yesterday, I figured I’d double up with routines today – 3 x 4 minute Weights / Bodyweight Tabata in the morning (though no squats/lunges, as I have 80 mins of Kicking ahead of me tonight) followed by the usual Karate in the evening.
    • Tabata 1 @ Alternating between Leg Raises / Mason Twists (52 / 63)
    • Tabata 2 @ Alternating between 21kg Barbell Curls / Tricep Dips (34 / 52)
    • Tabata 3 @ Alternating between 12kg Kettlebell Press / Rows (64 / 67)

(Note: The above where all done whilst watching ‘Shooter’ on Netflix, so I may have not been as focused/committed to each exercise as I should have been…)

PM: Karate @ 90 minutes

Another Kicking session tonight (as expected) which pretty closely followed Monday night’s format, except this time we were working on Yoko Geri (Side Kick) Starting off with some very ‘Billy Basics’ Kihon, we broke the Kick down to its ‘Bare Bones’ looking at the initial drive, bringing the knee up/chambering the leg, Body alignment, the supporting foot and bodyweight (to name a few)
    We then looked at how the delivery of the kick is effected the initial stance (Sheiko Dachi, Zenkutsu Dachi and Heiko Dachi) as well as the variations of delivery. (Push, Snap, Flick and Stomping Kicks) as well as desired target, and impact ‘Tool’. (Ball of the Foot, Heel, Roof of the Foot etc.) Exactly as with the previous session, we then spent about 20 minutes on Padwork, another 20 minutes after that on a Free flowing / Conditioning Drill then a further 15 minutes with 1 person in each group in body armour, with the rest taking to repeat the drill, this time with much more ‘Flavour’

Friday:

Today almost turned in to a Rest Day, as I didn’t really leave myself a window to train, but then my parents popped round for a visit and I (very) cheekily got them to look after the girls for ’30 minutes’, whilst I headed out – 5km Cross Country Run @ 26m 04s (Note: Never been a huge fan of cross country, especially the unevenness and/or uncertainty of the terrain, but today wasn’t actually too bad)

Saturday
    Rest Day

Sunday:

Today I was meant to be helping run an Outdoor Endurance Event for my instructor, up (and over) Whitehorse Hill & Dragon Hill (Uffington)which due to an insufficient amount of committed numbers, had to be cancelled – Since I had already planned to be up the Hill this morning, I decided to pop up there anyway, for a 5km Cross Country / Hill Run @ 28m 44s which I broke down in to 1km sections, stopping to perform Kata between each Kilometre Ichi x 2 at the 1km marker, Ni x 2 at the 2km marker, Saifa x 1 at the 3km marker, Seyunchin x 1 at the 4km marker and Shisochin x 1 at the end.

Travess

11. Travess

Wk 24 – Year 2 (12/12/16 – 18/12/16)

Monday:

Karate @ 60 minutes

Another Kicking session tonight, starting off with 20 minutes Mae Geri (Front Kick) Yoko Geri (Side Kick) revision on the pads, for those that didn’t make one, or either, of the previous 2 sessions. We then continued the Padwork this time working on Mawashi Geri (Turning Kick) looking at the differences between striking with the Shin, Roof, or Ball of the Foot – This left just a few minutes at the end of the session for a quick introduction to Ushiro Geri (Back Kick)

Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday:
    Rest Days

Started to show / feel real signs of fatigue during Monday night’s nightshift, which spilled over massively in to Tuesday – So, opting to train smarter, rather than harder, I have given myself a few of days off…

Friday:

…which it turns out, I really needed – Although it still feels like I am running on less then than 100%, it does now feel like I am ready to ease myself back in to my routines, which today consisted of a little Weights / Abs Mixture
    • 5 x 10 reps @ 20kg Barbell Curls
    • 2 x 25 reps @ Crunches
    • 5 x 15 reps @ 14kg Close Grip Press’
    • 2 x 25 reps @ Leg Raises
    • 5 x 15 reps @ 14kg Bent Over Rows
    • 2 x 25 reps @ Mason Twists

Saturday:

Between the Kids Krotty Class (Which I did wearing a full Santa suit, over ¾ of a ‘Redman’ suit, and managed to reach absolutely ridiculous temperatures!) in the morning, a Family lunch at Noon, and my eldest wanting to go Ice-skating in the afternoon, I had VERY little time to train today – Luckily a quick 10 minute routine on the Heavy-Bag is short enough to squeeze in to any day, but just long enough to still get the heart pumping. 8 x 45 rounds with 15 seconds rest between each round, and 1 x 90 second round to cap it all off.
    • Round 1 @ Hands Only
    • Round 2 @ Mae Geri Only (alternating legs)
    • Round 3 @ Hands Only
    • Round 4 @ Yoko Geri Only (alternating legs)
    • Round 5 @ Hands Only
    • Round 6 @ Mawashi Geri Only (alternating legs)
    • Round 7 @ Hands Only
    • Round 8 @ Ushiro Geri Only (No turn - alternating legs)
    • Round 9 @ Anything Goes

(Note: I do not intend for tomorrow to be a Rest Day, but as tonight is my club’s Christmas Meal (or, Karate Party as my eldest likes to rhyme…) my intentions may have little to do with the actual outcome.)

(Additional Note: During tonight’s festivities, 3 of the 1st Dans were invited to make a formal and public declaration of their intent to undertake an attempt at 2nd Dan – 2 of the 3 (myself included) accepted, which if nothing else, should at least make for an interesting 2017…)

Sunday:

Didn’t end up feeling too bad today, as I set myself a pint limit last night, and came in under it (was even hangover free enough to get up with the girls, giving my better half a much needed lay in – Major brownie points awarded: Check! :D)

Kept things low key today, with a simple little Bodyweight Routine escalating in reps, as I changed up the exercises – 7 x Press Ups / 10 x Tricep Dips / 15 x Squats / 20 x Crunches / 25 x Seconds Rest which I then repeated for 5 rounds.

Travess

12. Travess

Wk 25 – Year 2 (19/12/16 – 25/12/16)

Monday:

Karate @ 60 minutes (Long update today – Sorry!)

Had a really fun, all be it a little painful session tonight, playing with some of Rory Miller’s ‘Chaos Drills’ starting with 1-on-1 (controlled) fighting, taking it in turns to attack, then 1-on-1 anything goes. This then escalated to 2-on-1 anything goes, before we broke out the blindfolds and the real fun began…

…We were placed in groups of 5, 4 blindfolded, 1 DS (directing staff) which got alternated around each round. The ‘DS’ then moved us into position, so that we started within fighting distance of each other. (Note: For our own safety, we were only allowed a single ‘move’ at a time, to the count of the DS, which varied between 8 and 20) Once this was repeated enough times that everyone had a chance to DS, we progressed it to an ‘entire class free for all’ with only the Instructors acting as DS – This was very interesting, as when Yama was called, and we were permitted to remove our blindfolds, I discovered I was fighting 2 people, when it only felt like one (One the ground, striking one, whilst controlling the head of the other)

Lastly, we split down into smaller groups again – 2 groups of 8, each placed into an alcove barely big enough for 10/11 people, blindfolded again, and instructed that we had to fight our way out, ‘locate’ a single chair (1 for each group) and only the person sat on the chair at the end of 2 minutes, would be free from a Phys. Thrashing at the end of the session. I was spared in my group, but I did not see who made to the chair in the other. (Note: I made it to the chair too easily, too early, and then spent the best part of a minute trying to defend my position, which at one point found me with one of my legs pinned under the over turned chair, with 2 lads still trying to sit on the bloody thing!!!)

My Leg was in a pretty bad way when we were done, but I remained victorious, and let’s face it ‘fighting hurts whether you win or lose!’

Tuesday:
    Rest Days

Spent 8 hours on shift last night, hobbling around as best I could, so when I got in I opted for a ridiculously hot Bath, a solid 4 hours sleep, then chilled with my foot elevated for the rest of the day.

Wednesday:

Concentrated on an Arm / Chest day today, 1 because they are easy to do, whilst cooking the kids dinner and/or whilst they are eating, and 2, because I still wanted to lay off my leg for a little while longer – 110 x Push Ups (Set 1 = 10 reps, then descending in rep count with each set, until you reach (and repeat) 1 rep, and then I work my way back up again until I am back up to 10 reps) 110 x 32lbs Closed Grip Barbell Curls (which follows the same set up the Push Ups)

Thursday:
    Rest Day :dunno:

Whilst Monday was my clubs last official Karate class of the year, the Seniors were invited to an extra session this evening, on the grounds that we would help the Instructors with an end of year stock check (quality and quantity) with the rest of the time being dedicated to something of our choosing – Unfortunately, we never made past checking that all the individual pieces of our Redman, Spartan, FIST and IDF gear were all present and accounted for, and any damaged equipment was marked as such – I’m sure we will make up for it though, when we return on the 5th January.

Friday:

I had not initially planned my last session of the week, before taking the Christmas weekend off, but my Wife pointed out that I had been acting a tad irritable today and banished me to the garage to ‘blow off some steam’ (In less polite terms… :baby:) 10 rounds on the Heavy-Bag it is then. Rounds 1 - 5 and round 10 each consisted of 10 Strikes, 1 Burpee, 20 Strikes, 2 Burpees… all the way up to 50 Strikes, 5 Burpees with 45 seconds rest. Rounds 6 & 7 were both 90 second rounds, anything goes leaving rounds 8 & 9, which were 45 second Rounds, Hands only, constant 100% effort with just 10 seconds rest between the two - Suitably sweaty, suitably puffed and suitably in need of a shower and a beer... :D

I’ll naturally be taking the rest of the weekend off now, to spend with Family, and to drink and eat my fill. Before I do though, It'd be rude of me not to take time to thank all that have taken the time to read my log, and to wish those that celebrate it, a Very Merry Christmas and for those who do not, the Happiest of Holidays - See you all on the other side.

Travess

13. Travess

Wk 26 – Year 2 (26/12/16 – 01/01/17)

Monday:
    Rest Day – Well, it is Boxing* day after all…

(* Though my Wife did suggest that would make a perfect excuse for going out and wailing on the Heavy-Bag for a spell)

Tuesday:

Had a few hours to myself this afternoon, and as I found out last night, that I would no longer be required at work tonight (giving me until the start of 2017 off ) I decided I’d make the most of the ‘freedom’ – 9km Road Run @ 50m 07s I am sure this was a 10km route last time I ran it, but I had to throw a few extra turns in the final km today, just to make it up to the 9km mark. (???)

Wednesday:
    Rest Day

Thursday:

Squeezed in an early morning (by my standards at least) Strength Session this morning, whilst my girls had their breakfast – 5 sets each of 10 x Push Ups / 15 x Crunches / 12 x Tricep Dips and 12 x 12kg Close Grip Curls (Hopefully I won’t feel too bad doing nothing for the rest of the day now :D )

Friday:

Not a lot on the cards today, despite having most of the day free to do so, with only ½ a dozen Kata, well, 2 Kata (Tensho and Sanchin) performed 3 times a piece, to keep me from going stir crazy.

(Note: Sanchin certainly highlighted the DOMs created by yesterday’s workout, that I hadn’t realised had even started yet!)

Saturday:

Another visit out the garage was on the cards today, which I (still) plan to do more and more of, in to the new year (though I am refusing to call it a resolution!!!) 5 x 3 minute Rounds (with 1 minute rest between each) looking more on working angles, moving in and out of range, drilling left and right side dominant strikes, and maintaining technique, than I am just going all out for a Cardio workout - Which is what usually ends up happening – Plus, I do not want to be too pooped for tonight’s celebrations!

(Note: That was the plan at least, but I let my work-rate get a little carried away in rounds 3 + 4, so needed to reign in back in again for round 5)

Sunday:
    Rest Day

Closing out 2016 with a Lazy, slightly hung over day – See you all again in 2017’
    Happy New Year.

Travess

14. Travess

Wk 27 – Year 2 (02/12/16 – 08/01/17)

Pretty happy with my Festive Weight Gain, having only gained 3lbs between the middle of December and the 2nd January, so instead of ‘Punishing’ myself for the rest of the month, I just need to go back to doing what I was doing beforehand. (Hopefully!)

Monday & Tuesday:
    Rest Days

Making the most of having Mondays as a Rest Day at the moment, until Karate starts up again on the 5th – Though adding Tuesday to the mix (which is an occasionally regular rest day for me) does mean that I have had 4 straight days rest now…

Wednesday:

Gonna start my week (Well, Year actually) off with some Strength Training this week, taking care to avoid anything below the waist, as I am still nursing an on again, off again groin strain injury – 500 total reps (10 sets, of 10 reps, of each of the following exercises) 12kg Kettlebell Bicep Curls / 15kg Narrow Grip Press’ / Mason Twists / 15kg Row / 8kg Side Shoulder Raises
    (Note: Despite there being a noticeable change in my physique / appearance, there has not really been a marked improvement in the weight I am using, nor my manageable rep count – That being said though, I am still enjoying this side of my Training, so will just continue to persevere…)

Thursday:

AM: I feel that whilst I have been dedicating a whole lot of my time to physical training, I have not done nearly enough of any knowledge based stuff for my liking, so have decided to ‘hit the books’ – Starting today I have…
    1) Re-delved in to my ‘Martial Library’ looking to read a book a month (excluding my recreational reading) of previously already viewed material (beginning with Kris Wilder’s Way of Kata) in the hopes of creating a greater understanding of the text, and subsequently being able improve my own personal edification.

And 2) Begun updating my personal Training notes which I had neglected to do for almost a year now, starting with my notes on Sanchin Kata which I only got halfway thru updating, and which has already jumped from 486 words to 817 words… and counting. (which may just be an indication that I’ve learned to waffle on more, instead of meaning that I’ve gained a deeper insight)

PM: Karate @ 90 Minutes (On a related note: YAY!!! Karate is back on!!! :banana: )
    Jumped straight in with 30 minutes of Pad Drills to blow off any Cobwebs, and put to put the season of overindulgence firmly in our rear-view mirrors. These took the form of (among others) Static Striking, Hand techniques only, no real moving around, with the pad holder calling out the strikes and strike counts. Multiples drills, with 2 pad holders and 2 strikers, strikers could hit any pad and pad holders can present a target to either striker – Plenty of movement, random swaps and ‘confusion’ were encouraged. Finishing up with a Flowing Drill, in pairs, with targets offered in quick succession, flowing from one strike to the next, if the striker hesitates, they gets a pad in the face and if the pad holder leaves it too long, before offering a follow up target, they get a palm strike to the forehead.
    We then did away with the pads, dialled things back about 30% and repeated the Flowing Drill this time against an ‘opponent’ with the ‘attacker’ trying to string continuous strike together, whilst their partner jams, wraps up or redirects the shots coming in, in an attempt the curb the ‘Flow’
    Next up was a couple of rounds of Sparring with an emphasis on intentionally finding yourself in a less than favourable range (i.e. If you have a strong grapple game, but weaker striking skills, partner with a strong striker and aim to stay at long range) I was paired with my brother for this, and as we are both stand up fighters, be that grappling or striking, we decided to take it to ground – We were both out of our individual comfort ranges, but found things fairly eye opening.
    We then finished by breaking down in to grade groups and working on some Kata and Bunkai for a grade relevant Kata – We chose Shisochin which we ran thru it few times to iron out a few creases, discussed a few of the finer details and deciphered potential applications for the 1st set of moves…

…All in all a fantastic return to the fold.

Friday:

1st Heavy-Bag session of the week / year today, which I decided to do in a Tabata format with other exercises mixed in for variety – 4 x 4 minute Tabata with each minute consisting of…
    • Minute 1 @ 20 sec Heavy-Bag / 10 sec rest / 20 sec Ab Roll Out / 10 sec rest
    • Minute 2 @ 20 sec Heavy-Bag / 10 sec rest / 20 sec Jumping Jacks / 10 sec rest
    • Minute 3 @ 20 sec Heavy-Bag / 10 sec rest / 20 sec Mountain Climbs / 10 sec rest
    • Minute 4 @ 20 sec Heavy-Bag / 10 sec rest / 20 sec Burpees / 10 sec rest

…repeated over the 4 rounds, with a 45 second rest between each 4 minute drill. Then finishing up for the day with a single run thru both Sanchin Kata then Tensho Kata

Saturday:
    Rest Day

Sunday:

I have rambled on a fair bit this week, so will keep today’s entry succinct – 5 x 12 reps Push Ups to get myself ‘going’ today, followed by a 6.5km Road Run @ 33m 49s to finish the week off.

(Note: Purchased myself the TRX home kit this weekend, which I am hoping will significantly add to my current strength training / fitness routines)

Travess

15. Travess

Wk 28 – Year 2 (09/01/17 – 15/01/17)

(Note: My Instructor was approached at the end of last year, by one of the local primary schools, to see if we’d be interested in opening an after school Karate class during term time. So, we popped along to the school one afternoon, ran a serious of demos to help gauge the interest of the students, [32 kids signed up in the end] and decided to go ahead with it. After 8 weeks of paperwork, and jumping thru the necessary hoops, we are ready for our very 1st session this Thursday. These classes will be spearheaded by myself and one of our senior brown belts, with my instructor adopting a more satellite role – Exciting times ahead!)

Monday:

Karate @ 60 minutes

Our club’s chief Instructor was there tonight, which as far back as I can remember, would mean jumping straight in with a few rounds of Sparring, so starting off with Gekisai Di Ichi Kata run thru at about 20%, focusing precision, accuracy and timing, was a huge surprise. We did this in groups of 4, 1 performing, 3 judging and then ‘back briefing’ – I managed to pick up a few work on points (which we each had time to work on, following the exercise)
    We then repeated the exercise, this time with Saifa Kata this time with a different peer group – This time I picked up fair few extra work on points (did I mention I dislike Saifa?) but we ran short of time, and I did not get a chance to address them this session.

Tuesday:
    Rest Days

Worked the nightshift last night, and despite spending most of the time focusing on ideas for today’s training, ended up doing NONE! Of them! :bang: (Best laid plans of mice and men and all that…)

Wednesday:
    Rest Day

ANOTHER training day lost today, despite again having a decent evening Heavy-Bag Session planned, which instead saw me going to bed at half 5 in the evening, and not stirring again until nearly 6am the next morning - Not sure if I am fighting something, but I definitely seemed to have needed it!

Thursday:

AM: Finally broke out my new TRX Home Kit (which was delivered on Sunday, and has been calling to me ever since) which came with its own generic workout chart to follow (so…. Follow it I did. Okay, with a couple of amendments :D )

20 x Low Row / 20 x Tricep Press / 40 x Cycle Jump / 20 x Bicep Curl / 20 x ‘Y’ Fly / 30 x Squat / 20 x Chest Press / 30 x Mountain Climbers / 10 x Lunges / 20 x Hip Press / 20 x Hamstring Curl / 20 x Crunch / 40 sec Side Plank (each side) / 60 sec Chest Stress / 60 sec Hip Flexor (each side) / 60 sec Lower Back Stretch.

PM: NO KARATE!!! :bang:

Got to the hall 30 minutes early (as I always do) to find the place all locked up and still in darkness :angry: So, I spent the next hour, as the rest of the class gradually arrived, trying with no success to contact somebody with a key :angry:

Friday:

I originally planned this a Heavy-Bag session on Wednesday , but as my garage has NO heating, and as it is so damned cold out there today, I decided to bring things inside! - 15 x 45 second rounds of Shadow Fighting (15 second rests between rounds) with each round consisting of incrementally increasing strikes (in 2’s) with a Sprawl* thrown in between each strike increase – i.e. 2 strikes, sprawl, 4 strikes, sprawl, 6 strikes sprawl, continually increased until the end of the round (re-setting for each round) Finishing up with 2 x Sanchin Kata** and 1 x Tensho Kata

I will ultimately be aiming to do the full 15 rounds straight thru, but for now I have added a 1 minute following rounds 5 and 10.

(*There are various ways ‘Sprawl’, but I favour mine like a Burpee, minus the push up and the jump at the end! **Second Sanchin required because I brain farted the 1st attempt AGAIN!!!)

Saturday:
    Rest Day

Bit of a mish mash of a week, with 2 unplanned Rest Days already in the bag, so I shouldn’t really be taking another, even if this one is planned…

…but I’m gonna!

Sunday:

Not been out for a run this week yet, and would very much like to get out at least once each week – Alas, the horrible weather, couple with the fact that I was like a nodding dog all night at work, put pay to that notion (He says, justifying his excuses to himself)

AM: I knew I had about 15/20 minutes to myself when I got home, before that family started stirring though, so I eased my conscience with some Kata all the Kata I currently know in fact (Ichi, Ni, Saifa, Seiyunchin, Heian Sandan, Shisochin, Tensho and of course Sanchin)

PM: Woke up at 5 o’clock this evening (7.5 hrs sleep) and by half past 6 I had still not woken up properly* - Forced myself into a tiny Bodyweight Circuit session, 5 x 10 sets of Push Ups / 5 x 15 sets of Squats / 5 x 20 sets of Crunches in the hopes it may get me motivated for the night ahead.

(*Note: Been suffering from the SADs this week [seasonal affective disorder] which usually only hits me a few times each month, throughout Dec & Jan, but which seems to have hit me every day this week so far, but am hoping that it doesn’t persist – Really does make you feel for those who suffer from it on a larger scale too…)

Travess

16. Travess

Wk 29 – Year 2 (16/01/17 – 22/01/17)

(Note: My overall goal each week this year is to include 2 Karate days, 2 Bag/Run days, 2 TRX days and 2 Rest days – Which makes 8 days, so I’ll need to double on one of my ‘Active’ days)

Monday:

Karate @ 60 minutes

Worked on a few Pad Drills for the 1st 30 minutes, looking at straight strikes, hooking/circular strikes and rising strikes, in combinations. The emphasis being on maximum power on each strike (no ranging shots) as well as flow. Next up was 30 straight minutes of Sanchin Kata which we ran thru 5 times, concentrating on a different focal point each time (technique, body alignment, breathing, tension then all of the above)

(Note: My Instructor has suggested that we take the time to go thru Sanchin 3 times each day, every day now – As I like to keep my rest days as rest days though, I will instead keep a tally over the whole week, with aim of hitting 21 be the end of the week, including ones done at training)

Tuesday:
    Rest Days

Worked the nightshift last night, and despite spending most of the time focusing on ideas for today’s training, ended up doing NONE! Of them! :bang: (Best laid plans of mice and men and all that…)

Wednesday:

The stars finally aligned for me to be able to head out and pound the pavement this morning - 6.5 km Road Run @ 33m 14s which was nice, but then I got home, showered, finished off my Wife’s homemade Lamb stew, and now I cannot sleep!!!

Thursday:

AM: Broke out the TRX Home Kit again this morning, this time only following the Upper body Workout portion of the generic planner, which due to taking less time than the full routine, I ran thru twice.

(2 times each of the following) 20 x Low Row / 20 x Tricep Press / 20 x Bicep Curl / 20 x ‘Y’ Fly / 20 x Chest Press / 20 x Crunch / 40 sec Side Plank (each side) / 60 sec Chest Stretch / 60 sec Lower Back Stretch.

PM: KARATE @ 70 minutes

We carried on from where we left off on Monday, with Sanchin Kata, mostly looking at the breathing, and the part it plays in timing and tension. Next up (and for the remainder of the session[/b] we concentrated on Kicking Drills (including head height Mawashi Geri’s, which are as rare as rocking horse droppings in our Dojo) Firstly working on the Kick-shields, at a moderate pace, to get warmed up, drilling Mae Geri, Kin Geri, Yoko Geri, Mawashi Geri and Ushiro Geri. After a few rounds of that, we progressed on to the Thai Pads, for a couple of more ‘live, flowing’ rounds, of the same techniques – In the 1st round, the kicks were fast and flicky with no tension at the end, with the 2nd round looking at slowing the techniques down a little, but (over) emphasising the tension point at the end. Lastly we took to the Heavy-Bag for a few more Mae Geri’s this time just throwing our body-weight forward at the bag, and letting the kick land dead weight – No real speed, and zero tension, just mass and momentum. The goal at the end was to have a discussion on the different delivery methods, and how the impacted on the power and the performance, but the time got away from us.

Friday:
    Rest Day

Saturday:

Finally got to try my ‘Strike and Sprawl’ routine (as I’ve dubbed it) out on the Heavy-Bag with a few little tweaks - Sanchin Kata following straight into 5 x 45 second rounds on the Bag (15 second rests between rounds) Rest for 1 minute, and repeat for 3 sets of the above, finishing up with one more Sanchin Kata (total routine comprising of 15 ‘strike & sprawl’ rounds and 4 x Sanchin Kata)

Sunday:

It’s that TRX time of the week again, today restricting myself to a Leg Day with 2 sets each of 30 x Squats / 30 x Mountain Climbers / 20 x Reverse Lunge (each side) / 20 x Hip Press / 20 x Hamstring Curl / 30 x Calf Raises / 60 second Hip Flexor Stretch (each side)

Sanchin Kata tally for the week = 23

Travess

17. Travess

Wk 30 – Year 2 (23/01/17 – 29/01/17)

Monday:

Karate @ 60 minutes

Bit of a mixed bag at training tonight, starting off with some Sparring stand up striking only, controlled (15%) shots to the head. (only sparred with 1 guy, even if it was for a while, who ended up being my partner for the rest of the session) We then rolled straight in to some Live Pad Drills working on, but not limited to, combinations, angles, avoidance and redirection. Next up was back to back Kata 100% effort, running thru Ichi, Ni and Saifa Then finally us seniors (Brown belts and above) broke away to continue our work on Sanchin Kata

Tuesday:

At my Parent’s house this evening, so I didn’t get a chance to break out the TRX or do any real Cardio, so opted for a quick Core Workout, which I could do without really disturbing anyone else.
    • Round 1 @ 25 x Crunches, Leg Raises and Mason Twists / 40 sec Plank and 40 sec Side planks (each side)
    • Round 2 @ 20 x Crunches, Leg Raises and Mason Twists / 30 sec Plank and 30 sec Side planks (each side)
    • Round 3 @ 15 x Crunches, Leg Raises and Mason Twists / 20 sec Plank and 20 sec Side planks (each side)

Wednesday:
    Rest Day

Thursday:

AM: Opting for a (really) quick play on the TRX Home Kit today, along with a Chi Ishi (took the plates off one end of my dumbbell – Wish I’d thought of this before today!) for a 6 min Upper body Tabata Workout, switching exercise every minute (think it took me longer to set the kit up, than it did to actually use it…)

Minute 1 - 22 x Low Row / Minute 2 - 16 x Tricep Press / Minute 3 - 21 x Bicep Curl / Minute 4 - 19 x ‘Y’ Fly / Minute 5 - 20 x Chest Press / Minute 6 – 20 x 11.5lb Chi Ishi (each side)

PM: KARATE @ 90 minutes

The whole session was dedicated to Restrictive Sparring Drills this evening – We started off slowly, in pairs working defensive drills and counter strikes. This then progressed into allowing the 1st strike to land, as result, having to then counter from a less favourable/compromised position – Escalating contact as time went on. Finally, we repeated all of the above, this time working in 4’s with 3 ‘attackers’ and 1 defender/counter striker. We’ve been doing a fair amount of Sanchin Kata these past couple of sessions (which I do get a lot out of) but it made a refreshing change tonight to glove up, break a sweat and knock a few chunks out of each other. (even if the bridge of my nose was on the receiving end of a wayward knee strike…)

Friday and Saturday:

(Note: Awoke with a few surprise injuries on Friday morning, namely a cut/grazed/scratched to ribbons left forearm, which I have to assume is from the exposed Velcro, on one of the black belts gloves – Short sleeve day today me thinks, as anything longer stings a touch…)

Rest Days

Had intended to hit the garage Friday, when the wife came home from work, but things didn’t exactly go to plan ( :bang: ) so was hoping to commute the workout to Saturday instead. Alas, my Wife came home 2 hours later than expected from her shopping trip, with a Chinese take-away and a few beers for me in hand, which ruled out the Saturday evening workout too. (Hopefully, things will fall into place better tomorrow)

Sunday:

Think I may have made up for yesterday now - I (re)uncovered my Makiwara this morning, so I dusted it (and myself) off for some Hand Conditioning – 60* x Front Punch / Backfist / Hammerfist / Palm Strike / Ridge Hand (*30 each side)

Next up was a nice little (unplanned) Cardio Dance Session with my eldest, as she had been pestering me all morning to play ‘Just Dance’ on the Kinect with her – This went on for about 15-20 minutes (5songs) and not only was I sweating bucket loads by the end of it, my H/R was also up to 141 bpm

Needless to say, when I finally made it out to the garage, I chose to reduce my 4 x 4 minute Heavy-Bag Tabata session, to a 2 x 4 minute Heavy-Bag Tabata session (probably only working at around 60/70% though) with 1 minutes rest between each 4 minute set. (which still proved a little tougher than usual) I also monitored my H/R today, which is something new to me (and something my brother has always done and is always on at me about) – Which is just a bunch of numbers to me at this point!
    Resting: 63 bpm / 3rd Dance song: 116 bpm / Final dance: 141 bpm / 1st Tabata: 152 bpm / Final Tabata: 158 bpm / 10 mins later: 98 bpm

(Note: Last night was a social night, with plenty of drinking and staying up stupid late to watch UFC: Denver live, with all the above being done pre 11am, so I am not sure what effects this will have had on my H/R???)

Sanchin Kata: Tally for the week = 14 / Running tally = 37

Travess

18. Travess

Wk 31 – Year 2 (30/01/17 – 05/02/17)

Monday:

Karate @ 60 minutes

Fantastic (as in it highlighted several work-on points for me) Stance training session tonight, concentrating specifically on Zenkutsu Dachi and Han-zenkutsu Dachi looking at where the ‘Drive train’ (Power) comes from. This took the form, firstly, of moving up and down the hall in stance, with emphasis on the forward drive. We then split in to 3’s, with 1 person moving in stance, person 2 trailing behind, with their belt tied to the lead person, providing tension (not resistance), at various points up the body (Lower leg, upper leg, hips or chest) as they move forward, whilst the 3rd person observes.

Tuesday:

Couldn’t decide between a Run or a go on the Heavy-Bag today, so I put together a routine that included Both as well as a small amount of Walking in each ‘round’– 30 seconds Walking, at pace, 1 minute Running, 1 minute Heavy-Bag and repeat for 10 ‘rounds’, with no rest periods. (approx. 25 min continues work)

Wednesday:

Planned in a TRX Full Body workout today, working my way up the from calves all the way up to shoulder – 2 x 20 Calf Raises / 2 x 20 Reverse Lunges / 2 x 20 Hamstring Curls / 2 x 20 Hip Press’ / 2 x 20 Crunches / 2 x 20 Mason Twists / 2 x 20 Low Row / 2 x 20 Chest Press / 2 x 20 Bicep Curls / 2 x 20 Tricep Curls / 2 x 20 ‘Y’ Flyes – Woke up full of cold this morning, so almost sacked todays routine, which would have been a mistake*

(*Additional Note: In hindsight, maybe a little more rest and a little less bad decision making would have served me better this week…)

Thursday:

Today was a serious struggle, thanks to the early symptoms of apparent ‘Man Flu’ (Cough, congestion, headaches, and joint pains. Not to mention whinging, overreacting and an overtly prima-donna attitude…) which meant I wasn’t able to attend today’s after school Karate club.

KARATE @ 90 minutes

I dragged myself to my own training today though, 1 because I needed to get out of the house, and 2 because I’d feel less guilty about infecting my fellow adults, than I would about infecting a group of primary school children! :evil:

This was a Kata Based Session primarily, working thru Ichi, Ni and Saifa to warm up, before being separated into relevant grade groups – As part of the 2nd Kyu and above group, we initially worked on a few Impact Conditioning Drills (forearm on forearm, leg kicks, Punches to the Chest etc…) before re-running thru Sanchin Kata in pairs, which then eventually escalated to include Shime Testing (the hard striking tests, not the softer manipulative style we usually opt for) We repeated this 4 more times, firstly in pairs, testing each other, then as a group, with Sempai randomly testing as we went.

Lastly, we spent around 20 minutes hashing out some of the potential Bunkai / Oyo for Shisochin Kata which was both insightful, and a refreshing change of pace.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday:
    Rest Days

The next 3 days, which were set to include another TRX Session today, a 2nd visit on with the Heavy-Bag tomorrow and my 1st and only Rest Day of the week on Sunday, has now all be cancelled!!! (I appear to have deteriorated throughout the night, and can now add shakes, nausea and light-headedness to my lift of ailments – See you all again next week!)

Sanchin Kata: Tally for the week = 17 / Running tally = 54

Travess

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  19. Travess

Wk 32 – Year 2 (06/02/17 – 12/02/17)

Monday:

Feeling worlds better, having allowed myself to take a few days off, despite a lingering cough and still being slightly congested…

Karate @ 60 minutes

Class time was split down into 2 halves tonight, with the 1st 30 minutes being spent of Pad Drills working on multiple straight strikes, Fura-Tsuki, moving in and out of range (pad was always in play, with the pad holder either stepping towards, or away from the striker, dictated when and how the shot was thrown) and Koken Uchi – All these were drilled in segregation at 1st, then as part of a free flowing drill.

The Final 30 minutes was then dedicated to more Sanchin Kata practice with Shime Testing which yielded a few more worthy points, to add to my notes.

Tuesday:

Whilst things haven’t exactly been going to plan so far this week, time wise, I did manage to secure myself some TRX Time today, consisting of 2 rounds each of the following:
    20 Calf Raises / 20 Reverse Lunges / 20 Hamstring Curls / 20 Hip Press’ / 20 Crunches / 20 Mason Twists / 20 Low Row / 20 Chest Press / 20 Bicep Curls / 20 Tricep Curls / 20 ‘Y’ FlyesI also included some Sanchin Kata throughout this routine, but I will make a tally of that at the end of the week

Wednesday:

Another tight day today, between work, School runs and swimming lessons, but I just about managed to steal away 20 minutes for myself, to jump on the Heavy-Bag before my wife had to leave for her 1st ever ’Clubbercise’ class (Super proud of her for starting these by the by…)

Started off with 4 x 20 second rounds, then 4 x 30 second round (each with 10 seconds rest between rounds) working on continuous explosive bursts. Next up I progressed to 4 x 40 second rounds, then 4 x 50 second round (this time with 15 seconds rest between each round) which I used to work on moving in and out of range, angles and ‘close quarters striking’ (positioning myself in the 2 foot gap between my bag and the wall) and finally 4 x 1 minute rounds (with 20 seconds rest between rounds) where I worked on all of the above.

Thursday:

KARATE @ 60 minutes

I turned up 30 minutes late tonight session (I fact that my instructor was pre-informed about) and the senior members of the class had already split into pairs, and were conducting Shime Testing whilst their counterparts ran thru Sanchin Kata (As there was already an even number participating, my ‘cover charge’ for my late entry was Shime testing, at the hands of my Instructor – OUCH!!!)

After a further 30 minutes or so, concentrating correct breathing, driving forward with the Tanden and full stacking of the structure, the black and senior brown belts were partnered up with a few of the blue and purple belts, to observe and mentor them, as they ran thru Sanchin Kata (The lad I was partnered with had a few ongoing issues, specifically with properly contracting the abdomen, and engaging the tandem at the end of each technique - I am happy to say that between the 2 of us though, we managed to iron out most of his concerns)

Friday:

AM: Headed out for a 6.5km Road Run this morning, which I really struggled with (due in part I think, to recently being under the weather, as I was forced to experience a couple of coughing fit induced ‘stops’ along the way) but managed to complete in 34m 08s all the same.

PM: I was able to steal a few minutes to myself to run thru some Kata this afternoon/evening, whilst I waited for the kids dinner to cook, so opted for Heian Sandan* and Sanchin (*Not sure why I chose a Shotokan Kata, but there you go…)

My instructor sent out a message to a few of the club members, stating that he had secured a hall for the evening, for an impromptu 2 hour Training/Admin Session which I jumped at (poorly wife and eldest daughter, both of whom were in bed by 8…) The 1st hour was all Kids club related (updating syllabi, quick stock take, finalising plans for our upcoming relocation) I then worked with a senior brown belt on Sanchin Kata going over a few of things that we covered in class this week, before then being given a quick introduction to Sanseru Kata which definitely went over my head.

Saturday:
    Rest Day

Sunday:

Put together a little Strength Training Circuit for myself today, which I did 3 circuits of, reducing the reps count at each station, with each ‘lap’ (20 reps of each, then 15 and finally 10) which was made up of:
    Deep Squats (on TRX) / Crunches / Bicep Curls (TRX) / Tricep Dips / Mason Twists / Push Ups / Calf Raises (on TRX) / 12kg Kettlebell Press’ / Leg Raises / ‘Y’ Flyes (on TRX) and Low Rows (on TRX)

I gave myself a 2 minute break between laps, in which time I ran thru Sanchin Kata

Sanchin Kata: Tally for the week = 25 / Running tally = 79

(Note: Bit of a full on week for me this week, only giving myself 1 Rest Day so I will need to aim to do better next week. Tomorrow is my wedding Anniversary, though, so I have a guaranteed day off in the bag then, but then my brother is visiting Tuesday and has requested that we go for a run together (our first ever) which should get me straight back on the horse, so to speak...)

Travess

20. Nachi

I remember you writing about how you only do the "soft" shime during regular classes.... looks like times change :evil: