What TV series are you watching?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by cloudz, Sep 10, 2014.

1. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I think it might surprise you, I think I know what you mean and I've been pleasantly surprised myself. It feels the same, but of course the stories and lives of prominent characters have taken on new trajectories: life goes on, as they say. It's keeping me hooked though and the quality and drama is still all there, if anything series 3 of The Affair is stronger than ever, for me.

2. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

:cry:Oh,boo hoo hoo-the children of the 1st instant gratification generation make my heart bleed.And I thought mine (the 1st generation) was bad.

I guess we was just more hard bitten in them days.Why,was a time we couldn't even record a show so we could watch it later and fast forward through them there commercials. I know,hard to believe.
    Actually,Sherlock as a user of opiates is TOTALLY against the character.Nicotine,cocaine,yes.Stimulants. Taking something to dull the mind/zone out/whatever is so anti Sherlockian I was quite surprised when I heard about the whole setting.

Which is why,when a major part of a character is changed that much....well,they can call it whatever they want,but they make it a different character.It sure ain't Sherlock.

3. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Record a show??? :confused:

4. Immutable

Immutable New Member

I finished the latest season of bojack horseman. I'm up to date now and I see why it was critically acclaimed. The last 4 episodes were some of the best television i've ever seen. Incredible for a comedy series with an animated centaur.

5. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Uhh,yeah.Like as in set the timer on the VHS/DVD recorder so it comes on and records the show for you while you're out hitting your friends in the head or whatever.

Then you watch it later.And FF thru the commercials.

6. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

VHS? Is that like Blu-Ray?

Travess

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Like dvd but classier, all mine were in cases that looked like rich leather bound books.

Ive just started watching "man in the high castle", it seems quite topical atm.
    So far its quite different to the book, but it seems really good!

8. Chimpcheng

One of my friends is going through a process of buying up old VHS cassettes. He's not interested in behind the scenes, deleted scenes, trailers, TV Spots commentaries, documentaries, HD, UHD, and all that good stuff, he just feels that VHS is the superior format.

I digress...

I'm part way through 'Westworld' (absolutely loved the movie), and I'm up to date on 'Supernatural'.

9. Travess

I blew thru the 1st 8 episodes of this, loving updates as well as the nods to the original, but when they announced that season 2 would be over 2 years away, I lost the motivation to watch the last couple of Eps...

Travess

10. Chimpcheng

TWO YEARS AWAY???

@El Medico, this is unacceptable, this needs to be available yesterday!!! :p

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Started on a couple that had passed me by. First episode of Orphan Black was certainly intriguing and exciting. I'm slightly worried about the lack of likeable characters in the longer term.
    Halt and Catch Fire has really drawn me in.

12. Travess

Just (literally) about to sit down to Idris Elba: Fighter (Trailer below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRGtohnxOCk

It premiered on the Discovery channel last night. If you are not aware of its premise, it is a fly-on-the-wall documentary, which documents Elba's (Luther, Thor) 12 month journey to hold his own as a professional Kickboxer...

...Can't comment on it yet, as I am only 5 minutes in, but I can say that I have been looking forward to this for the past couple of months now, so my hopes are high!

EDIT: Okay, absolutely Loved it! The highlight of the episode was Elba's visit to an Okinawan Dojo, for some good old fashion conditioning. With the highlight of the overall sense of the show, being the 'sincerity' of it all - They'll certainly not be accused of sugar-coating it, to help bolster Elba's Hollywood tough guy persona.

Travess

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  13. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I'm with him!
    The big thing I hate about DVD is that it takes 5 minutes to get to the movie. You have to sit through the FBI warning, and then the Interpol warning, and then click-click-click through the trailers one at a time, and then watch 30 seconds of stupid computer graphics slowly transforming into the menu screen.
    Maybe the "title menu" or "disk menu" or whatever can get you past the trailers, but you still have the other delays. :bang:

With VHS it's just FF to the start. So much simpler.

14. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I love DVDs for mostly having OT added to them and not only the (at times bad) translation and synchronization :D
    Compared to before that helped my English.

Still watching the X-Files. Only getting close the end of the second season, because I have lots of breaks in it.

15. Chimpcheng

While I don't agree with you guys on DVD/Blu-Ray vs VHS, I am, however, fully with you on it taking aeons just to get to the title screen. I'm forever pressing the Menu button on my remote in a vain attempt to get to the movie quicker, but, it never does... :(

Personally, I like having all the extra gubbins like multiple versions of the movie, deleted scenes, et al.

Anyway, I'm about to start on season 4 of 'Sherlock'. I've heard mixed reviews and how the finale suffered with a big ratings drop.

16. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

I started watching Mad Men and The Night Manager.

I didn't expect the first one to be that good although it's often cited as one of the best
    tv series ever.

The Night Manager is pretty mediocre though.

I can't understand why Hiddleston won a golden globe either.
    He doesn't convince as a hard boiled dude at all. :confused:

I found Tom Hollander superb though.

17. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I tried to like Mad Men, I really did. But I got a couple seasons in and I just couldn't take the drudgery any more. I've been watching Suits and it's everything I wanted Mad Men to be.

18. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Ive started watching a dystopian multi media/ channel arthouse project, whereby a rightwing billionaire son of a sucessfull businessman gets placed into the whitehouse as a russian puppet president.

So far its really compelling, but not that realistic, I mean surely people wouldn't vote against their own self interest, right?

The first season is 4 years long too........ its gonna be a long watch!

19. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

WHERE'S THE THANKS BUTTON????!!!!!!!!!!???????????

20. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

For me it's "iZombie." It's started slowly, as in weeks would go by between my viewing, but somewhere in the middle of season 1 it got interesting. It was Liv Moore's expression. Gotta love the name, by the way -- Liv Moore, short for Olivia, as in "live more." She's a zombie. It's a joke. Ahem, anyway, when she eats a brain and takes on the over-the-top personality traits of the dead person, her facial expressions and mannerisms are hilarious. The frat boy episode was particularly great. I'm at episode 4 of season 2 now, I think. (Peyton came back and we met Blaine's father for the first time.)