Martial Arts Planet  

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet > Articles and Reviews > Filipino Martial Arts Articles
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 03-Sep-2014, 11:57 PM
Registered Mapper

Please re-read the article as to why empty hands of eskrima don't work
Old 04-Sep-2014, 12:13 AM
Ret.

Location: That part of Loudoun County, VA that's about 15 miles beyond anything you'll find on a map
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaharlikaTimawa View Post
Why? Surely someone can disagree with the assertions in the article without having misunderstood it. Opinions differ. The article represents one opinion.
Old 04-Sep-2014, 12:56 AM
Angriest MAP resident....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaharlikaTimawa View Post
Please learn to do it properly so you will know why the article is wrong
www.calgaryjkd.com
Old 04-Sep-2014, 01:34 AM

Yaw Yan to me is interesting. There is a new school that teaches this 30 min drive from my house, but I am spread way, way, way too thin with what I am already doing. Watching their videos and stuff, it seems VERY similar to Muay Thai, but with some differences - Scorpion kick, back fist to spinning back fist combo done often.

I'd be interested in any comparisons of Yaw Yan to Muay Thai people have. To me it seems a big crossover between the two, but I have Zero Yaw Yan training and only 10 months Muay Thai..so not a lot to go on.
Old 04-Sep-2014, 02:40 AM
Ret.

Location: That part of Loudoun County, VA that's about 15 miles beyond anything you'll find on a map
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
Yaw Yan to me is interesting. There is a new school that teaches this 30 min drive from my house, but I am spread way, way, way too thin with what I am already doing. Watching their videos and stuff, it seems VERY similar to Muay Thai, but with some differences - Scorpion kick, back fist to spinning back fist combo done often.

I'd be interested in any comparisons of Yaw Yan to Muay Thai people have. To me it seems a big crossover between the two, but I have Zero Yaw Yan training and only 10 months Muay Thai..so not a lot to go on.
I'm no expert, but I'm deadly curious. Where (and who) is the yaw-yan teacher in Maryland? Or is it across the border, here in Virginia?
Old 04-Sep-2014, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap Oweyn View Post
I'm no expert, but I'm deadly curious. Where (and who) is the yaw-yan teacher in Maryland? Or is it across the border, here in Virginia?
From what I see, the instructor is Master Armando Liban.

Here is the website:

http://www.yawyan.us/

I have no knowledge of it other than the website, and no connection other than curiosity.
Old 04-Sep-2014, 03:14 AM
Ret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfish View Post
From what I see, the instructor is Master Armando Liban.

Here is the website:

http://www.yawyan.us/

I have no knowledge of it other than the website, and no connection other than curiosity.
Interesting! Thanks Sunfish.
Old 19-Sep-2016, 07:13 AM
Registered Mapper

I apologize for necro'ing this thread. I once studied with Master Armando Liban mentioned in the post above. He has comprehensive knowledge of the traditional Yaw Yan curriculum which includes both armed and kickboxing components. Nowadays he teaches younger students but he makes time for more adult pupils (like myself).

Mainly I have been instructed by Coach Rey Buhat based in Detroit, MI. Coach Rey's experience is strictly sport kickboxing so he doesn't touch on the weapon training in traditional Yaw Yan Fervilleon, nor the grappling/takedown aspects of Hybrid Yaw Yan. Involvement in competition has made learning muay thai necessary for him but he is most certainly a yaw yan fighter.