Native American "Indian Fighting Skills" video review

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by rubberband, May 13, 2006.

1. rubberband

rubberband Valued Member

As a martial artist and someone who is interested in primitive skills and Native American lore and culture I jumped at the chance to watch the video "Indian Fighting Skills" by Randall Brown.

As I watched the hand to hand sequences I as astonished by the realization that I had seen all of this material before and even the names of techniques were familiar. much of the skills demonstrated were identical to Professional wrestling and have the same names as pro wrestling moves... The street combat variations also seemed familiar... some of them as well as some of the weapons techniques were identical to techniques found on the Panther Productions "Robert Bussey: Ninja Master Series"... This is not to mention that much of the war club and tomahawk sequences were identical to those in the movie "Last of the Mohicans" from 1992... I found it odd that during the lecture portion of the video Mr. Brown refered to the practice from the first person present tense, "we do" instead of the third person past tense of a historical survey, "they did"... I also found some of Mr. Brown's discussion of Plains indian culture to contradict itself and the academic research of experts like Thomas E. Mails.

Please note that these are just my opinions based of what I saw on the video and my study of these cultures... I do not think the information is historically accurate and don't find much of it to be very practical... however the video is visually interesting... The exercises are also interesting but common to Systema, catch wrestling, circus, carnival, and other arts... the stealth technique taught is the same as the "scout step" taught by Tom Brown Jr. in the scout class of his tracker school...

take care, steve