Help finding Silat training

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Shaunr73, May 22, 2017.

1. Shaunr73

Shaunr73 New Member

I live in northwest uk by Blackpool but I can't find anywhere to learn Silat can any one help please

2. Zack

Zack New Member

Hi... u can google PERSILAT.UK. maybe they can help u.

3. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

You could contact Glenn Lobo, I feel that he is a very skilled and legit practitioner.

4. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Isn't Glen in Luton? That's pretty far south.

He's a member on MAP I believe.

Might be be just as easy to google silat in the area you are going to be around. I would include FMA in your search as I doubt that there is much pure Indonesian stuff about.

LFD

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  5. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Glenn is in Luton, and I didn't meant for the OP to train with him but he could at least contact him regarding Silat and FMA also, and maybe Glenn could help him on his way.....

6. Late for dinner

He may well be a decent resource.

Interestingly none of the orgs that I can see are big on promoting anyone other than the primary club/system that runs the org.

It is also interesting that I keep finding online training being on offer. Maybe this is just because there is a shortage of qualified instructors.

LFD

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  7. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I'm really interested in Silat but there is a shortage of credible instruction in the UK.

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

9. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

Another option is Byron Banton in Rugby. He has been a serious Boxing practitioner and trainer for 30+ years and for training made the switch to Pukulan Pentjak Silat Bukti Negara, for a number of years now. He is a really decent and down to earth guy as well. Trains in a small group so good for a lot of personalized instruction.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

But probably less so from Blackpool :)

Still he will be good to reach out to and chat with.

Question to the OP: Why Silat specifically? I mean it is good and all, but there is plenty out there that ticks the same boxes that you will be able to find locally

11. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod Note: Welcome to MAP Zack. Please do not use text speak here. It is against our terms of service, which can be found by clicking on the button at the top and bottom of every page. Please spell out words like "you."Thanks!

12. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

I'm not sure were you are looking?

There aren't many well qualified instructors in traditional Silat. I myself don't count myself as one because I wasn't trained in traditional Silat but I was trained in a modern synthesis.

I do know that Glenn has gotten the training from the source in Malaysia and he also has gotten training and qualifications from the founder of Lightning Arnis. So he isn't a "decent" resource but more an excellent one.

And like Taoizt said, another good option is Bukti Negara.

The thing is, both me and Taoizt are dutch and maybe not that known with the places you guys talk about, so maybe it's a huge travel distance but they might be able to help you find a nice Silat or other martial arts club near you.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  13. glennlobo

glennlobo Valued Member

Morning all. Thanks for the "big up" Dylan.
    Luton is a long way south.. the PSFUK are in London and Further south.
    Byron is is Rugby so only an hour further north than i am..

There are lots of JKD style silat around so mixed in with lots of different arts, so if you want traditional, that may not be for you.

I travel to teach, so that may be an option, or i do weekend training, so while you are a long drive, i have done it in a day and still carried out business.. I have people from Torquay who come up, and the distance/ time is similar.

feel free to PM me

14. glennlobo

glennlobo Valued Member

that is mostly because each org in the UK is set up by one person.. when i was persilat rep i tried to talk to them all and bring them together, but there is the Indonesian/ malaysian thing going on, and i was quite young at the time.. and everyone wants to be top dog!!

15. Purespite

Purespite Valued Member

There is

the Yorkshire Silat Academy who I think are De Bordes lineage - they're in Knaresborough which while closer than Rugby is probably still a bit of a trek.

16. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Impact in Preston teach Silat apparently.

17. Late for dinner

It's funny how quotes , taken out of context, can mean many things :' )

I wasn't dissing glenn, just responding to the original comment saying that he might be a decent resource but being in Luton he isn't anywhere near the OP.

And as glenn has pointed out many martial arts groups , chinese/malaysian/indonesian or whatever, tend to keep themselves to themselves which often can make contacting people difficult. A few years ago I found out that there had been a very good resource near me and because of the lack of connection between different groups I never had a chance to make contact.

Good to see that our brothers from the Nederlands are helping people here to find training places!

:' )

LFD

18. glennlobo

glennlobo Valued Member

someone dissing me? now that makes a change lol!!
    Indeed, nowhere near the OP but happy to help if i can.
    the bro from the netherlands is promoting his group.
    i just found this on FB
    https://www.facebook.com/BuahPukulManchester/?ref=all_category_pyml
    so maybe this could help the OP
    Regards

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017