What are good weapon absed martial arts or martial arts with weapons

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rataca100, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

its that time again, Rataca question time. :D

So, since i like my weapons a lot, to the extent of wanting a lot of them and past just watching videos on channels on weapons and playing about with a broomstick (poor mans singlestick/staff)the question emerges what styles either use weapons as a base or include them. I also watch a few HEMA/Historic channels on weapons as well on youtube.

I am all ready interested in quite a few and know a bit about a few dedicated weapon styles for example Kendo/Ken Jutsu, Iado/Iadojutsu, Arnis and Hema.

I am kind of curious as to what styles specfically in Karate have weapon use in them and how much is combat based and how much is display based, alongwith Kung fu styles.

I do a unarmed based TKD so i dont really have a place to ask questions/learn from somone.

Also before i forget its worth mentioning im looking into tratasies and also anyone know a U.K/European shop which does good quality quater staffs. Im not too sure where my question actually comes into anything, just cant find another thear and figure it would be a good talking point or if all ready exsting more up to date talking point.

I must say i am interested in HEMA just because its not weapon specific and follows historical manuals for combat and such like that. If anyone knows of any obscure ones, come out and say. :p

(Archeryand ranged base dones coutn as well, i just cant spell/remmeber/know any Japanese archery style names past just archery. )

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Karate schools often have a "kobudo" class wherein many traditional weapons are taught, the most well known being bo, tonfa, sai, and 'chucks.

Various kung fu styles also teach spear, staff, swords of different types, chains ... all those crazy things you see in Shaw Brothers movies. :D

In aikido, the sword and jo (a shorter version of the staff) are taught, but not in a combative way. They're tools for clarifying how you're supposed to move.

"Kyudo" is Japanese archery. :)

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

4. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Chains look really good, too bad they banned weighted Chain/Rope in the U.K along with rope/chain darts as well i belive. :(

I forgot Juijitsui as well, dont some of them use weapons, in what manner i wouldnt know.

5. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I started kobudo not long ago. My main style is okinawan karate which complements kobudo well - like same stances and so on. Taekwondo is probably a bit different. You get to try a lot of weapons, there are around 14 I think, but of course, you won't get to some until some don grades and so on.

From what hasn't been mentioned yet, I went to a trial lesson of Naginata Do (the way of Japanese halberd) and I think it could be a lot of fun, too. You learn not only forms and techniques separately, there are also sparring competitions - with the kendo armor + some additional protectors.

EDIT: Oh, aikiMac was faster after all :D

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well define "good" weapons based system's?

7. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Ones that work, be that for display or combat and not something which constitutes a mc dojo or the like. Or the simpler explanation what you view as a good one. :p

8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Choy Li Fut has most of the old Chinese weapons.

Here is a list from my GM's page. He lists 53 weapons.
    http://www.plumblossom.net/ChoyLiFut/CLFweapons.html

Now, most of those come in the way of forms training. We don't spar with spears, horse benches, chain whips or say this one..........:)

[​IMG]

We do have stick fighting classes at my school. Not sure how common that is in other CLF schools. Also, I think my GM's school does staff sparring as they have that in their tournament. (Using foam sticks/ staff's with PVC pipe inside.)

We also practice knife fighting in sparring class sometimes, although I wish we did more.

In the stick fighting class, we also cover some similar techniques to sword techniques. Just a bit of that.

Weapons in my school are introduced at intermediate level. Although one can get an early start with the weapon forms class.

9. Pretty In Pink

Effective at what though? The odds of you fighting/duelling with weapons is pretty much non-existent. The only thing I could suggest is find the one with the most sparring.

Personally I like the look of La Canne. I also would love to try Aido.

10. wonglongwingchu

wonglongwingchu Valued Member

11. kandi

kandi Valued Member

I just started with the bo staff, as part of a kobudo class run by our local dojo (which is a mixture of kyokushin and goju). Can't comment on effectiveness, as I'm only doing it to chill out and have some fun.

12. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Traditional Japanese arts (budo, xkan, etc) all combine weapons with unarmed

13. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Some people may want it for historical purposes, forgot to mention that is a reaosn some people do these.

Knives and axes are still soemwhat common (more knives for carry) so learning knife fighting is at least a useful endeavour and most of the other weapon fighting techniques could be applied to improv weapons. Canes and Umbrellas are basically honourary weapons providing they have build quality. :p Of course sparring would be good to learn and as i can only compare to HEMA they do sparring a lot and its based on hitting without getting hit back to it beats foil fencing there. Oh, also, Cane and weapon fighting in general looks like fun.

(subject to edit, wrote it out several times)

14. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Depending on one's profession of course. I know a few people who've had to go stick vs ____.

15. Pretty In Pink

How many pimps do you know?!

[​IMG]

16. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

Would not surprise me if someone actually walked around with that. Also a Pimp does not need a weapon they are a master of slapping.

17. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

You mean besides myself? :D

18. Pretty In Pink

I really want to post a song, but I'm like 100% sure it would be against ToS.

19. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

There's a bazillion different kinds of weapons in HEMA. It's not just longsword. The earliest sword manual is I:33 which is on sword & buckler. The heyday of German longsword was a century later, give or take. You have various pole arms, and even scythe and sickle. Montante, Italian side sword, and Polish sabre are becoming increasingly popular. My personal favourite HEMA weapon is the messer. Leckuchner's manual is amazing:

http://www.hammaborg.de/pdf/transkr...cgm582/zabinski_mitchell_fritz_leckuchner.pdf

And there's also singlestick, dussack, dagger, rapier, smallsword, the list goes on. Of course even with longsword, you have German, Italian, and English. You are really spoiled for choice.

20. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

Kuk Sool Won offers many traditional Korean weapons;
    Inverted long sword
    Double long sword
    Double short sword
    Sword cutting (bamboo & rolled mats)
    Sword sparring
    Knife throwing {tu geom sul}
    Double short staff
    Staff sparring

not a complete list, but you get the idea.
    When they say sparring, it's not open sparring but more often than not, a predetermind set of techniques that sort of looks like a hyung.