which techniques should I try to master first?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by thewillo, Jan 26, 2017.

1. thewillo

thewillo New Member

Hi, I am doing BJJ 4 months now(8 technically but injured for 4). I am wondering which fundamental moves I should be working on most. My offensive game is horrible but I'm quite good at defense and escapes. I've been working on triangle chokes and arm/knee bars mostly, plus I love arm bar from williams guard and I love flying scissors... so those are the things i do. What should I be working on adding to my repertoire. I'm white belt 1 stripe. I can do omaplatas and gogaplatas and some gi chokes too but I'm not as good with them.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I have no idea what a Williams guard is.

Bridge and shrimp are the most fundamental movements. Everything else you will pick up as you go along.

Good luck! :)

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Does your place allow flying scissors and kneebars for whitebelts?

FS done badly will mangle your partner really quickly, thats why their ibjjf banned.

Offensively the classic 5 are always good, armbar, triangle, omoplata, rnc and cross collar, from closed guard, and mount, even more so when paired with there own sweeps.

Personally I'd drop the complicated guards and subs till your fundamentals are stronger.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  4. thewillo

thewillo New Member

Our place doesn't allow flying scissors, but that didn't stop me from learning it on my own. knee bars they do allow for white belts which I know is not standard. We can also do ankle and wrist locks as white belt. I live in a small town and our dojo doesn't have enough people for a white belt class so we're in with the blues and purples and can do what they do when rolling. The only things banned at our dojo are heel hooks and other knee twisting techniques.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Focus on position and control and forget worrying about subs too much at white belt level. When you can maintain position well the subs come to you as opposed to you having to try and grab them

6. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

As Chadders said - bridge & shrimp & as Hannibal said - forget about submissions for now

I feel that there is a progression along the lines of:
    - Defending (surviving)
    - Escapes
    - Positions; closed guard, side control, mount, back control
    and so on

7. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

White belt with 4 months of training? Williams guard and flying scissors? This is a joke, right? For now you shrimp and shrimp so more, work survival positions, escapes and passing the guard.

Williams guard... :fight4:

8. Hannibal

Glad it wasn't just me.....

9. Hannibal

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  10. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

No, it wasn't just you. I was rolling my eyes, but just didn't say anything. :D

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

12. Hannibal

13. Hannibal

I would still shin crank you from it though......:D

14. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

really? flying scissors as a white belt? ok, whatever you say.

what does "working" on arm bars mean? what does "i can do omoplatas" mean? like you've pulled these techniques off in sparring?

15. Dead_pool

16. Dead_pool

So do you do flying scissors or not??

17. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

+1

One of my teachers (wayyyy before he was a teacher) ruinied both knees of his partner that way.
    Never properly healed.

Maybe I'm a coward -if so I live with it, because I love being able to walk without pain all the time- but as soon as a beginner would come with flying scissors I'd never ever train with that person.
    Much too risky for my liking.

Another of my teachers demonstrated FS just last week on me, and I was nervous even then - that was knowing, that he knows what he does and can do, me only staying (so no moving around, let alone randori)... so basically fool-proof.
    And him being 30 or 40cm taller then I am, so he doesn't need to fly so high ;)

In that situation and with a person that knows what he's able to (and I mean know, by experience and decades of training; not by "knowing" because I made it work on my blanket once or something), it was even fun.
    But I don't think I'd like to have to worry about it during Randori.

Who was it, who get so badly? Yamashita?
    EDIT: I leave that horrible "sentence" above, but it was supposed to say: @Who was it, who got so badly injured? Yamashita?"
    I just couldn't left it uncorrected :eek:
    I need to improve my re-reading, geez.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  18. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

''Another safety rule adopted was the banning of kani basami (flying scissors) after Yasuhiro Yamashita received a broken ankle from the technique endangering his entry in the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic Games (where he won the gold medal).''

http://judoinfo.com/rules2/

LFD

19. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Can you reliably escape from the bottom? Can you reliably maintain top position? If the answer to these is yes (which after 4 months is doubtful) then you only need to know how to Kimura and rear choke.

20. Vince Millett

Vince Millett Haec manus inimica tyrannis MAP 2017 Gold Award

Omoplata

I'm a BJJ blue belt. The one and only time I've pulled off a textbook perfect omoplata in sparring was the day I got my first stripe on my white belt. (My instructors would have been planning to give it to me that session anyway but it felt good pulling off a nice technique when they were actually watching!). Probably as much luck as anything else.

Of course I've done many an omoplata since then but they've all been a little scrappy and more "real" in a way, against more experienced opponents.

Earlier posts here have been right. Learn to survive, keeping elbows tucked in and not being flattened out when you shouldn't be. Learn to protect your neck. Get used to not panicking under heavy pressure. Learn to pace yourself and not gas out. Learn about how the position and direction of the head affects how the rest of the body moves. Learn how the correct hip position and movements is the secret to almost everything.

Then learn to escape, using all those bridge-and-shrimp, Gracie stand-ups and sit-out exercises you do during warm up drills. They are vital! Learn to defend single and double-leg shooting attacks - master the sprawl.

Learn all the basic positions, closed guard, half guard, side control, scarf hold, north-south, back control etc. Later you'll develop into various open guards and all that spinny-upside down stuff.

I wouldn't worry too much about submissions. You'll pick those up as you go along but you won't get a chance to apply them against anyone competent unless you learn the other stuff first.

IMHO.