Learning JKD from a friend and online videos

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Urbansamurai, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Urbansamurai

Urbansamurai Banned Banned

Hi all,

I have just started about 5 months ago to learn JKD from a friend who has done various seminars around the world and studied for a time with Tommy Carruthers, I have also been calling Youtube up on my TV at home and practicing alone trying to get some of the techniques slightly refined, I was wondering how people feel about someone learning from someone who isnt well known in JKD and also from videos. I would love to travel to scotland and train with Tommy and also would love to meet Inosanto , do you feel I can achieve a decent level through my kind of training which also includes my regular Wado Ryu and Kendo classes of which I have studied for about 25 years coming up.

Cheers and your thoughts would be appreciated, please bare with me in replying I have quite bad dyslexia so my spelling needs rechecking several times before i post and sometimes still isnt perfect.

2. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

[​IMG]

I think you answered your own question back in 2015'

Travess

3. Urbansamurai

cheers, I am well aware videos alone would be futile in an attempt to become a decent level as stated as you say a long time ago. but I do now find that videos are helping me get some insight into the way things are done, is it not just a bit like copying a live person in front of you in class but without the application being corrected.

4. Travess

Go watch 'The New Yankee Workshop' on Youtube, build yourself a chest of draws (or whatever) and let us know how that turns out.

Travess

5. Urbansamurai

My question to you would be why ? I know you are clearly trying to be clever in some capacity but all I am not interested in carpentry although I did once put together an IKEA bed.. that was tough even without a YouTube videk

6. Urbansamurai

I find though all silliness aside that the videos have complemented my once a week session with my friend.

7. Travess

The subject matter of the video is irrelevant - My point was that you could no more build a grand piece of Carpentry from watching New Yankee Workshop, nor paint a great masterpiece from watching Joy of Painting, than you could learn effective JKD from a Youtube playlist.

Travess

8. Travess

Based on what? the acknowledgement of an unskilled instructor, with barely to no experience himself? Unless there is more to his background than you have described?

Travess

9. Urbansamurai

Yeah but watching and learning surely has benefits to take back to your lessons to discuss and in some instances try out

10. Urbansamurai

He has apparantly done lots of seminars for about 13 years and trains it daily.

11. Travess

Trains it in what capacity? Home alone? Or under the watchful eye of qualified instructors?

If it is the former, then my previous comments also apply to him, but if it is the latter, then why not tag along to his next session?

Travess

12. Urbansamurai

He does seminars and also spends a few months a year with carruthers. He probably isn't as good as I could get to be a teacher in the sense he doesn't train under a teacher on a regular weekly basis only his regular boxing and wing chun classes.

13. Urbansamurai

I was thinking of joining a class with a guy accredited to inosanto called Paul Finn any experience of him ? I do want to find a good class in the long run in London south east area.

14. Travess

Your intent, your interest and willingness to learn, are all good attributes, I just feel that they'd be better cultivated, and tested, in a class (the right class) environment.

Best of luck

Travess

15. Urbansamurai

Yeah you are right , better pull my finger out and get looking for a good class. ☺

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Welcome to MAP!

Where are you based?

17. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

Well it wasn't a chest of drawers, but all my woodturning and woodworking skills were self-taught from youtube. (and I would recommend Paul Seller's channel over the New Yankee Workshop any day of the week)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My point being, you can learn many, many skills from youtube - with appropriate feedback. Woodworking has feedback built into it.

Martial arts, on the other hand, tends not to (have feedback in it); especially when training solo.

18. Travess

Ha Ha, maybe I should have limited my comment to MY inability to cobble together a fine piece of woodwork, solely from a Youtube video - Seriously, if I shared photos, as you have, I'd likely face a ban for posting offensive material... :D

This is a good point well made and is one of the main reasons for avoiding (certain, it would seem) self taught skills.

Travess

19. Urbansamurai

Just made some Bao chinese food following a video on YouTube. Just saying

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

But you had the ingredients to make it....you don't with JKD

Unless you are at a sufficiently high level learning from videos is not easy.... and even you do have the capacity to do so you need a long breathing human being in front of you to apply pressure and variation and an instructor to fix nuances

In short it's not a good idea really