Taekwon-do for a mature beginner

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Gazz73, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Gazz73

Gazz73 New Member

Hi

Can anyone tell me if Taekwon-do is suitable to do for a person in their early forties, despite what their body shape may be?
    I've found pages online that suggest anyone can do it.
    Just need clarification.

Thanks

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Anyone can do it but with the best will in the world there is a "high kicks good!" bias in a lot of TKD that can reward the young but annoy the old. :)
    But I've seen all sorts give it a go and a good instructor will make allowances for a variety of body types, ages and goals.

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

As a TKD black belt in my 40s (with a large frame), I'd say "yes". As an instructor, I've worked with students from age 5 to mid 70s of all body shapes and varying levels of physical (and mental) ability.

That said, what I would recommend is checking out whatever martial arts schools are nearby, watching to see how they train, and speaking to the instructors about your goals. Try a few trial classes and join the one that fits best.

If I were looking to start TKD now (in my mid 40s), I'd probably look for a class with mostly mature students and a more 'self defense' focus rather than competition (unless you are into the competitive side, in which case there are great senior divisions within TKD tournies).

Good luck to you

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Any class is heavily dependant on the attitude of the Instructor. What's important is that the nature of the class suit your goals.

TKD will likely have some emphasis on fitness and flexibility, so if those are things that interest you, go for it!

Personally, as an Instructor, I love having adult beginners.

Mitch

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

At forty, with healthy joints, high kicks are easy to develop.

6. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Define "Easy".

7. Gazz73

Gazz73 New Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I'm looking at a UKTA ITF school down the road from me. Wirral UKTA Taekwondo Do in Moreton, UK.
    It looks like a good one.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

15-20 minutes, twice a week, doing exercises that build the end-range strength and flexibility necessary for high kicks.

If that is someone's definition of "hard," they have lived a very easy life or they need a shrink.

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I've trained there. Good club, Mrs Bennett is a great instructor.

There's also Wirral & Chester TAGB run by Mr Richard Saunders (top coach).

10. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Richie Saunders is top notch and the facility is excellent; permanent matted dojang.

Mitch

11. SyDiko

SyDiko New Member

I don't think age has anything to do with your ability to train in a Martial Art.

As others have said, TKD is flexibility oriented, but when you're beginning it won't be a problem as you will train out of any limited leg motions over time.

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Care to share what such a routine might look like flexi-man?
    I'd put that time aside if it meant results.
    I can still kick head height at 43 (with some straining and far less style than I used to have) but it ain't getting any easier. :)

13. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Sure. Are your joints healthy?

It's worth pointing out that the same general principles of flexibility training will work for most people. It's the differentials in individual responses to training stimuli (e.g. taking longer to achieve full side splits because of weaker adductors than another person) that cause people to mistakenly think a particular method or exercise doesn't work for them. The error is comparing your own progress against another person - it's not that it doesn't work, it just doesn't work as fast.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah I think so. Well...most of them are anyway.
    I've got some intermittent lower back issues but my hips seem OK.

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Please can you specify the issues?

Lower back health plays a central role to developing the side split (and the side split is central to high kicks - effective ones, at least).

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

About 2 years ago I damaged a facet joint low down in my back kicking a heavy bag with no warm up (derp). Had some physio and core exercises that I did for a bit and then stopped. Then it went again stepping off a kerb holding a baby. Every so often it flares up if I go too hard on something (last one was some twisting sit ups...derp again).
    So long as I don't go mad it stays in check.

17. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I have a similar issue - I avoid sit ups like the plague. They are guaranteed to set it off again!

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Been doing loads of KBell swings lately and that seems to have tightened everything up and my back's feeling better than ever....until the next silly thing. :(

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Injured or weak lower backs become an issue when doing standing side splits because of the anterior pelvic rotation needed to create space in the hips.

What's your max weight in the kbell swing?

20. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Also this:

Why did you stop - did the physio sign you off, you felt better, etc?