WEIGHTS IN THE WEEK

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Respect4AllArts, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Respect4AllArts

Respect4AllArts New Member

Greetings all.
    I hope you knowledgeable people out there could give me your take on advice.

I used to train JKD and am planning to attend Wing Chun classes once I get a job (will know schedule availability afterwards)

At the moment I've been following Van Zandts Flexibility for beginners incorporating Joint Rotations, Dynamic Stretches and Relaxed Stretches in the mornings.

I wish to incorporate his advice about doing Isometric Stretches every other day but need to change my weight training schedule.

At the moment in my garage I have my Punchbag and Weights.
    At present I normally do an all body workout at least five days a week.
    It's quite convenient as I obviously don't travel to the gym but use the weights and space in my garage.

I'm looking to train the same muscles still but instead of doing one or two muscle groups a day over the five... I'm looking to see if I can fit them into two to three days max and then incorporate the Isolated Stretches too using Van Zandts recommendations on the appropriate days.

It's hard to plan at the moment as I'm not sure what days I may be working in the future but want to get a basic guideline.

Has anyone got a good idea on what way to do this such as upper one day and lower another for example?
    Or the best combination for three days (such as what muscle groups to not combine on the same day)

The muscle groups I tend to work with my weights (not including bar work or punchbag) is Triceps, Biceps, Forearms, Shoulders, Chest, Glutes, Upper and Lower Back, All Legs (Calfs, Quads, Hamstrings etc)

Many thanks in advance to all you guys!

2. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

5X5

If you don't already have them buy a power rack, olympic barbell, flat bench, and a set of Olympic weights. It'll cost far less than a gym membership. Follow the program (there's even a handy app) and you will work everything. It's a great beginner program for building strength because you do squat, bench, row, overhead press, and deadlift, three days a week alternating workout and squatting every day.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  3. Respect4AllArts

Hey Sifu Ben.
    Thanks for your reply.

I have everything you listed except the power rack (have been making do without and using the space and the bench etc)
    Couldn't agree more about the gym membership equivalent.
    Plus I prefer to train in my own space too.

The programme you were suggesting sounds great.
    Thanks, I'd definitely be interested in looking into that.
    Do you have a direct link by chance?
    (you did even mention an app)

Many thanks again

4. SWC Sifu Ben

Everything you want to know: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

I also recommend picking up this book by Mark Rippetoe which will explain the mechanics in detail: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Starting-St...=1455245406&sr=8-1&keywords=starting+strength

The rack is the most expensive part but you'll need it for squats and overhead press (unless you want to clean the bar for every set). Check whatever your local equivalent of craigslist is and you may be able to find a rack or half rack for cheap. Make sure to get something with safety standards. They will catch the bar so you don't die when you inevitably fail on bench press.

5. Respect4AllArts

Hey Sifu Ben.

Thanks so much for the link.
    I gave that a good read and looks pretty inspiring (even down to the Chuck Taylors!)

Thanks for the book recommendation too.
    I'm definitely gonna start this.
    Never knew you could realistically work so much from so few workouts and the less reps for example.

At the moment I'll have to go rack-less but will stay safe as even though I'm not a beginner to the weight training.
    I'll be starting low as recommended to begin with.
    How do you find it?
    Do you or have you used this workout?

The only thing I'm jut a bit conscious about is that although increased strength is great, I don't want to get really big.
    Would prefer to keep my weight (not to a minimum) but not to be slowed down where I'm trying to keep mobile and quick.

6. SWC Sifu Ben

Don't. You'll get your numbers for squat up there pretty quickly and you need something solid to rack it on. If you can't afford the rack you could probably clean and front squat the weight.

I've used it and it works great. It's a great beginner program. Make sure your form is good, manage your diet properly, and you will make gains.

Strength and muscle won't slow you down. Unless you take steroids you're not going to get large enough to worry about muscle size getting in the way.

7. Respect4AllArts

Awesome.
    Thanks again for the tips Ben!
    In the meantime while I'm rack-less for the squat...
    I do have a range of Kettle Bells in different weights.

How about using the Kettle Bells to squat with as an alternative and working my way up?
    At least with the weight being in a small volume of space in front of me I'd have control of it.

Many thanks.

8. SWC Sifu Ben

If you don't have a rack learn to clean the weight and do front squats instead

9. Respect4AllArts

Ok.
    Ben thanks for the info and advice.

:)