Isometric Split Progression log - 126Barnes

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by 126barnes, Nov 4, 2015.

1. 126barnes

126barnes New Member

Hey, figured I'd post my progress as I attempt to touch the floor.

I've been training for 4-5 years and although I'm sure my flexibility has improved I can't actually say I'm any closer to the floor.

After reading http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96381, I figured I'd give it a try. I started at level 1, as I don't have great leg strength and a 20 year old knee injury that bothers me from time to time.

Only 2 weeks in so far and have progressed to level 5 doing 3-4 workouts per week. I decided to stick with level 5 for at least 4-6 reps to help prepare me for the increased time of tension and hopefully remove the need of a chair for assistance.

Everything is going good so far, having a bit soreness (the good kind) overnight, but nothing that last more than 12hrs past workouts.

Got a couple guys doing this with me after class, hopefully we can keep each other accountable. Probably should get a measurement for progress tracking, but I guess I'll know when I reach the floor.

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Good luck. Post again if you encounter any problems with the programme and I'll do my best to answer them.

3. 126barnes

126barnes New Member

So on to level 6 after doing repeats on level 5 for 6 sessions. Can fully support myself in a front split position at full ROM, still need a little help in side split, but I do have more ROM in that position.

All soreness has subsided, but I'm sure it will revisit once I start increasing intervals. Not really sure if my splits are deeper at this point, but I can warm up much faster and ready to kick sooner at the beginning of a work out.

High hook kicks are much easier after the stretching.

Seeing enough progress to keep me at this.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I'd advise being ultra conservative increasing weight, even going as far as to say don't add any while you feel like you can tense very hard without it. Slow progress is better than no progress after all.

5. 126barnes

126barnes New Member

Still a long way from adding weight, I'm in no rush .........it seems.........almost cruel.

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Ha. That's the spirit :evil:

The original programme I wrote in the 'Progression' thread was designed for so-called "hard gainers" who see little progress no matter how hard/long their muscular contractions. Truth is most people will do just fine without added weight.

7. 126barnes

126barnes New Member

Still hanging in with this, must admit I've been lured away from stretching by the temptation of sparring a few times over that last 3 weeks. Gonna make the jump to level 7 tonight.

8. naveenlb89

naveenlb89 New Member

Van. Did you publish the book?

I want to buy it.

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

No.