Dead_pool's 10 step road to recovery

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Dead_pool, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

So Ive just had a Leg operation, and to keep me from going insane I thought I might start a log. which I may or may not keep up.

So far every day Ive done a lot of physio exercises, watched a few EBI matches, mendes bros matches, and generally the Rickson cup because its got good Japanese fighters in it, (their judo BJJ mix is great) and dropped by training to see everyone.

And over the next week I plan on watching Ryan hall DVD's, and getting to grips with Dean Listers leg lock system.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2015
  2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

What was your injury?

3. Dead_pool

It was originally just a miniscus trim and washout, but I had a few more issues when they got inside, everything is all sorted now, drs say its a six to eight week recovery to walking normally.

Turns out having poor ankle and hip mobility kills your knees. (And Judo)

Lesson learned.

4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

How long has it been since the surgery?

The poor ankle and hip mobility describes me too. I have to use lots of "cheater" steps to get the correct angles before rotation.

5. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Funny thing

Funny thing is that you can see a pattern that people go through as they age or stop being involved in sports.

First they tend to wind up walking with their feet pointing outwards (often at 45 degrees) because of mild stiffness in the ankles. This leads to over-pronation of the foot but also forces the tibia (the shin) to rotate outward on the femur (the thigh). The net effect is that you are walking about with your knee at the end of it's external rotation range (shin on thigh) and it gets tight since people rarely check for the rotation in their knee. At the same time people tend to sit too much which tightens the external rotators/flexors of the hip with the net result being increased mobility required from the low back and an increase strain on the knee that now, tight into external rotation, is expected to make up for the loss of hip rotation. So torques from the top and the bottom and the poor meniscus (which increases surface area and moves with knee movement to some degree) is being twisted about. It's hardly a surprised that your sort of injury occurs.

I see similar sorts of things without necessarily your damage level from many athletes who have had lots of strains/sprains in their careers and then stop exercising as the get older. Interestingly it's not that hard to loosen but people would be better to keep up something like yoga/tai chi or similar callisthenics and avoid the problem in the first place. Usually active athletes just get injured sooner if they don't take care of themselves....

Please excuse the ramble eh!

LFD

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  6. Dead_pool

That's actually really interesting, thanks!

7. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Fusen, how long did you have to wait after surgery until you started your physio exercises?

8. Dead_pool

I'm a week out of surgery, I started them properly two days post surgery, as soon as I could move, the swellings "almost" gone now, I've been following exactly what my physio said, icing it a lot, and taking nsaids regularly.

9. Dead_pool

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RZUSIDO9C9E[/ame]

Today I watched this, it had a nice edited hd match with Drysdale vs jacare match at the end, very good match.

10. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I'm interested in the time frame. I don't know too much about the procedure you went through, but some say they are up and walking the same day. However, this tends to be people that don't put as much stress on their body as an athlete or martial artist would.

The recovery for an athlete or martial artist is longer because you have more to work up to. Also, I suspect you will be later making adjustments on your techniques to put less stress on the knees independently of the recovery.

11. Dead_pool

From what I understand, a washout is walking straight away, a tear trim depends on the size of the tear, and is weight bearing straight away, walking as possible, I had a few more issues so whilst I wS as weight bearing straight away, I minimised it so the swelling would go quickly so I could get on with the physio properly asap.

12. Dead_pool

Re further training, I've been rolling with one leg for a year, so its more mobility work and getting used to using it again.

13. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Here's one way that people go wrong Fusen.

You have not been using your leg properly for a year. Yes it will be good to get back to rolling but remember that now you have strength/endurance/coordination deficits that need to be worked on before you put too much load on it. Think about a football player going back on the pitch right away to scrimmage rather than just doing drills/strength training/co-ordination drills etc..

Good example that may or may not be relevant to you... going back offensive stuff is always easier than defensive stuff as you are mainly in control. When you are fighting someone else off you have to deal with the unexpected and that is where something can go wrong (at least until you get things going again). Strength training will be what the physio gives you but I bet they don't know how swole/buff you were (;' ) ) and thus won't see that you perhpas need a bit more challenge to get back to the level where you were at during simple plane movements before engaging in complex stuff on the mat.

Overall I am sure you will do fine.. just some food for thought.

LFD

14. Dead_pool

Cheer bro, good food for thought, I'm definitely going to phase my going back to training over at least 8 weeks or so.

My injured rolling strategy was,

Big guys \spazzy guys - start sc bottom, no sudden bridging, reset once in open guard etc
    Lighter guys/ people who train well, normall rolling, very light guard retention, focus on the sweep, and only work SC top / NS etc, no mount, no S mount, and no hooks for backmount.

When I start back rolling I'll just increase my guard retention, and stick to the same SOP, until my leg strength etc is back.

15. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Cool vid. We actually recently had Drysdale BB over who is heading back to Drysdale's LV school to train MMA with him. Thanks for posting. Prompt recovery with the leg!

16. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Are you planning to post your physio routine?

17. Dead_pool

Not my post surgery physio, (as people should see a proper physio for that)

but once I'm good for pre training self directed exercise, (I've at least a week before then) I'll post brief outlines when I remember.

18. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Jacare too quick and dynamic for Drysdale there...

19. Dead_pool

So today I did physio, plus the mirror muscles (bicep curls) for fun, I then attempted a 5 minute walk to the corner shop for milk which took 20 minutes there, 20 minutes back. And have a new found respect for anyone with walking problems.

I then watched Gunnar Nelson vs Xande at ADCC repeatably whilst making notes.
    Excellent match.

20. Dead_pool

They both have great, universal BJJ, and thats what i like to concentrate on.

Just like Gunnar, Xande, saulo, Tonan, they can do it all, by focusing on comonalities., over specifics.