Thoratic bridge / gymnastics intructionals

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Dead_pool, May 31, 2015.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Does anyone know of any decent gymnastic bodyweight resources?

Particularly thoratic bridges, but any foundation work would be great.

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

So I've started some simple thoratic mobility drills and the effect is simply amazing.

Turns out years of getting squashed had ruined the mobility in my spine.

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Eric Cressey's and Mike Robertson's mobility stuff is really good too ('Magnificent Mobility' and 'Inside Out' DVDs). As are DeFranco's Limber 11, Agile 8 and Simple 6 mobility workouts.

5. flaming

flaming Valued Member

In Capoeira the instructor used have us try to do this it was part of the warmup. Skip to forty seconds. Keep your hips up, glutes tensed (to protect the lumbar spine). Shoulders active and weight evenly distributed on your wrist and I imagine it would help to try to look in a mirror. Like they had at the class. I imagine you won't see your face or anything, just the ceiling at first. 3 reps one way 3 the other. It started working for me I could see some of the mirror, before I stopped going.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_QdNdfxed0"]Rotation Into High Bridge Lower to Head with QDR Exit - YouTube[/ame]

- Sounds like lift music.

Capoeira is the most intense warmup of all the martial arts I've been to. It's also very harsh on the wrists similiar to ashtanga.

In ashtanga primary series several of the poses work thoracic mobility and a while ago I decided to press my self up. I still don't know if im doing it right the instructor usually comments if someones doing something wrong though.

The capoeira way probably helped with the strength and the yoga the thoracic extension. Glute bridges and zercher or front squats would help strengthen the hip extensors and thoracic extensors. If you think they are a weak point.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  6. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Goblet squats are probably the safest way to squat from what i've read on the internet :rolleyes:

7. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Hey,

Been looking for similar things myself lately, mostly toward gymnastic/ floor-work. Capoeira has always looked interesting to me, so that's something I will keep in mind/ take a look at.

Anyway, I came across this guy on my FB feed coming at it from a Yoga perspective. I don't know that much about Yoga, but it's quite appealing to come at gymnastic/ floor-work from that angle.

What I really like about this guy and the site is you get quite a lot of really good breakdowns and information step by step on how to accomplish things eg. press handstand. It seems quite athletic focused.

www.theasanaacademy

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016