Tips for Applying MA Philosophy to Everyday Life

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Starsky, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Starsky

Starsky Valued Member

Hi,

I haven't been on here for a while but I was looking for any thoughts or experiences of how you have applied martial arts philosophy or strategy to everyday problems.

The reason I ask is I am having some problems with a small group of people at work. I have some good friends at work but there appears to be a small group of 4 or 5 out of the 30 people I work with who basically give me, and a number of others, a hard time. The targets would tend to be the quieter folks who keep to themselves. The aggressors tend to be the loud steamroller type personalities.

It has been going on a while. I had been applying the strategy of allowing your opponent to burn themselves out ie let them rant and rave, don't react and hopefully it would go away when they don't get a reaction.

It hasn't. In fact it's got worse.

I'm in my mid forties and this is a good job. I don't want to leave and I had hoped this was my job until retirement.

Any similar experiences or tips for strategies to help deal with the situation?

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Any supervisors you can talk to? This sounds like a toxic work environment.

3. Starsky

Starsky Valued Member

It's a toxic work environment indeed. I was warned about the culture before I transferrd there but because of personal circumstances I really needed to be close to home.

I have spoken to my supervisor but the problem is he is very friendly with this group of people and there's a trust issue. I reported an incident which there was paperwork to prove and a witness. They "forgot" to speak to the witness and just buried it.

The only thing keeping me sane is that it is a small group and other folks have reassured me that they know that group is the problem, and has been for years. There have been multiple complaints about them from indside and outside the organisation for years but nothing is done.

4. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Ignore this

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Corner them in the bogs and bounce their faces off a urinal?

6. Starsky

Starsky Valued Member

Thanks. I hadn't thought of looking at it from the pick up angle.

It's a very female dominated environment I work in so that may be useful!

7. Starsky

Starsky Valued Member

Redcoat, how many times I've dreamed of doing just that!

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Whoa, is it blokes or teh wimminz you're having problems with?

If it's the latter... ignore me.

9. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Uchi mata one in the breakroom? Seriously though talk to your HR rep about it and look into escalating the issue. Things like this are a major liability for companies and managers can be held personally liable in civil court for ignoring documented issues.

10. Starsky

Starsky Valued Member

Both Redcoat. Only about 5 out of 30. 3 women two men who like to keep in with the laydeez.

11. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

For the men: see above.

For the women: put laxative in their kettle.

12. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Does your company have an HR department? I would go there instead of to your supervisor. I would also consider going over the supers head since they're unwilling to do anything.

13. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

On the "know your enemy and know yourself" part this is where you accept that most women are very socially adept and you might not be or this wouldn't have happened. When your enemy is larger, more powerful, and has better strategy than you and a powerful ally, call in an ally who outclasses them.

I hereby retract my previous advice and jump on the "call HR" bandwagon.

14. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Put down all of your concerns in writing, including details of the incident that was brushed over.
    Arrange a meeting with someone senior to the supervisor you spoke to previously (if possible someone in the hr dept)
    In the meeting, ask for a copy of your companies greivance policy and anti bully policy. once you have these, read through them in the company of the person you are meeting with, getting him/her to clarify anything you are unsure of.
    Then present your issues to them including the written records.
    Explain that you feel the behaviour of this group is having a negative impact on your work and, having tried to raise tthis issue before only for nothing to be done about it, you would now like to start a formal greivance proceedure.

In the uk, employers have a responsibilty to ensure that employees can go about their work without fear of harrasment or intimidating behaviour from other employees.

15. Starsky

Starsky Valued Member

Thanks to all of you. I have to say I've pretty much lost faith in the formal processes. The culture is they don't want complaints and will turn on the complainant for rocking the boat.

I have applied for a transfer this week but it may take months or years to come through. I'm also scanning the job ads.

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Oh what, it's good enough to smash a guys face in but not good enough for women? You're so sexist! :p

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Depends if the birds are fit or not. If they're munters, crack on :D

18. AndrewTheAndroid

That is a temporary fix.

Copy their email address and use it for another account. ie Change Jimbob@yahoo.com to Jimbob@gmail.com. Write up a scathing email about how crap the company is and insult your boss and their spouse. Brag about the "great time" you had with others you want to incriminate. You can even insult the customers. Then send the email to everyone at the company and everyone that the company deals with. If you can throw in stuff that actually happened that will be even better.

Start making casual comments to co-workers about how so n so is always asking you to "party." Ask them where are the powdered donuts are. When they ask what powdered donuts, tell them "the ones so n so is eating in washroom. I can see the powder on his face."

After doing this very occasionally for several months, plant a brick of cocaine in their car or desk and anonymously phone the police. Problem solved.

My personal favorite is and I've actually used this a few times, is to get your enemy riled up in private while always being extra nice and courteous to them in public. They'll have a melt down in front of everyone and while that is happening you can be really polite and show concern for them. Everyone will see this and start to turn against them. You can even push it a little further afterwards by asking people "Are they always like this?"

In your case I would even go to the Supervisor or HR and express my concern for my fellow employee.

Not only will this turn people against your enemy. Your enemy may actually break down and try to become your friend. When this happens you'll be in an enormous position of power. Then you can bring the thunder.

Remember "“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

So is their dental surgery until you do it again.

20. AndrewTheAndroid

True but why settle for shattering their teeth when you can shatter their very existence?:yeleyes: