What are good weapon absed martial arts or martial arts with weapons

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rataca100, Apr 16, 2017.

1. BujinBoston

BujinBoston New Member

I will throw in some marketing for Japanese jujutsu/kobudo.

One aspect that I like is that whether you are unarmed or using a tool/weapon, the basic footwork/general mechanics remain the same. Of course, you will need to study the specifics of each tool and any specific movement.

In the x-kans there are lots of very interesting historical tools to learn. Though they are historical, much of the lessons can be directly applied (or with some small amount of specific modification/again tool specific) to what may be at hand.

These concepts are seen in other martial systems to varying degrees. I would suggest going to places available to you and trying them. Even if they are something you may have never contemplated thinking about.

2. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

I also do koryu, and I agree it is well worth it. However, there is no randori/sparring in koryu, almost without exception.

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I was stunned when I read Leckuchner, so much good stuff in it.

4. BujinBoston

BujinBoston New Member

Good point.

OP: How has your search been going? Have you found anything nearby to try out?

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Did somebody say weapons? :)

6. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Me too! It has nearly everything one can do with a single handed sword, about a third of it armed grappling.

7. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

The war pig has arrived. :p

8. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

You get even more spoiled if the teacher has learnt Japanese weapon fighting styles and covers them too. :p See my difficulty in this is, actually finding the treatises in the first place to look at.

I am currently eyballing getting a Khukri if anyone has any good sources for learning to fight with that. (other than just swinging it like a mad man)

(sorry for double post i may merge these two together at some point)

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Honestly, just pick one

Weapons have four basic types - stabby, slashy, smashy or shooty....the rest is just gravy so if you can move on slashy thing another slashy thing is pretty much going to be the same

I would suggest FMA myself because (a) I do it and (b) it has the ost carry over into empty hand

10. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

They are almost all found right here, largely translated, and free of charge:

http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Main_Page

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Academy of Historical Fencing has some excellent free downloads of plain English getting started pdfs.