Did I make the right choice?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Heimdall, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

looking at the website of the dojo you posted heimdall, this has nothing to do with bjj. if they've told you that, they've lied to you.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

very true that.

Do they have any BJJ qualifications? because so far its looking very far from solid.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

another thing that stood out for me....

apparently, this kam hock hoe person has 10th dan judo ranking, but NOT from the kodokan--which should be pretty easy to verify. i suppose it is possible to get 10th dan from an organization not the kodokan. but still, there's inconsistencies. i suppose it could just be textual. and i don't really know how we would verify this tenth dan.

for instance...on http://www.minaputa.com/Soshi.html we get...

but on http://ijji.org/ijji_history we get...

which is it? judo or jujutsu?

the kodokan is the main judo organization in the world and seemingly has only handed out very few judans in its history. to me, it seems like a problem i've seen in another art i've been in: grade inflation.

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I eagerly await the inevitably terrible videos.

5. Dead_pool

So I ran an experiment today, I was running our weekly recap class, (isolation rounds on the topic of the week, plus drilling some of the core fundamentals) and during warmups I found out.

a) about 75% of Graded BJJers can do cartwheels
    b) 100% of graded bjj players cant do back flips unaided
    c) 100% of graded bjj players cant do 'good' backflips aided by a turtled partner.

The sample group was a visiting black belt, 3 purple belts, and 5 bluebelts, none of the whitebelts can do backflips either!

6. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I was taught a sweet little open guard pass from a cart wheel :]

7. Dead_pool

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

9. kandi

kandi Valued Member

So... BJJ does kata? This is new to me. I'm not being sarcastic, I've just honestly never seen a BJJ kata before.

10. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Me neither, but I expect it was for the Jap JJ side of the curriculum.

11. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Depends how you define kata

BJJ has thousands of paired techniques or drills and a bunch of traditional SD kata

12. Dead_pool

Nope, this isnt a BJJ school, the OP has been lied to

At best its teaching a modern Jiujitsu style, mixed with some you tube grappling, and potentially misleading its students.

13. Dead_pool

^ Thats just muddying the waters.

if you define drills as kata, then all physical skills are kata, boxing is kata, running is kata, weightlifting is kata.

which is plainly ridiculous.

14. Dunc

Well in JJJ kata are paired drills....

15. kandi

kandi Valued Member

Maybe I'm looking too much through the karate lens, because to me, kata is an individual form. A solo demonstration of something with an imaginary opponent. I guess I should youtube some JJJ kata.

16. Dunc

Yeah that's a different thing and not something that BJJ and JJJ have really

17. Dead_pool

A lot of so called JJJ, isnt JJJ, its freestyle self defense patterned after Aikido/Judo etc

so Youtube isnt a good way to look at actual Japanese Jujutsu for context, unless you know what your looking for:

to help this is actual JJJ -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhTpeCdANzA

This is not
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng3pMq5cOx0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73C0-Csx7U8

18. kandi

kandi Valued Member

19. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

CLF has two person forms - both hand and weapon. But they are forms, not techniques or drills. As in, what you are probably thinking of, but with two people.

Still, one student won't fail if the other one doesn't do good. I have to admit I am really having trouble with that idea.

Sometimes, a student gets delayed in testing, because one has to have all their material up to test standards. And sometimes it is hard to find a regular two person partner to practice with to get it up to snuff. However, if that partner messes up during a test, it is not a fail for the other person. Sifu can tell who knows their material and who doesn't - even in a two person form. Sometimes, the person's instructor will be the partner for a test, although that is a last resort if a student just cannot help out for the test. They far prefer a person to test with a fellow student as their partner.

I don't mean to be critical, but I guess I am of this idea. If I put in a lot of hard work to test, it shouldn't hinge on another student what my test results are.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017