Dead_pool's 10 step road to recovery

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Dead_pool, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Pull ups - palms away
    12. 12. 13

Sit ups incline
    22. 25. 25

H row cable
    35kg x 15
    45kg x12
    50kg x8

Squat oly

Bar only x20
    30kg x 15
    40kg x12
    50kg x10

Bench oly

40kg x6
    30kg x15
    35kg x10

Random plyro hurdles

2 foot jumps jump reset jump
    5 x 7

2 foot jumps continious
    5 x7.

Single leg lifts both
    sides
    5x7 left
    5x7 right

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  2. Dead_pool

So update!

I was still really struggling last year, and didnt see much benefit from doing weighted exercise, that combined with the temperature (unheated gym) made me stop weight training, and replace it with home gymnastic/bodyweight and kettlebell exercises, which have massively helped knee function.

Then this year Ive done 2 major things _
    1) first week of the new year, the knee was strong enough to start running on a treadmill.
    2) I've realized my knee strength was too poor to do free weight lifts safely, so ive given in and have started doing isolated knee exercises on machines.

So four weeks in and it feels like Ive got the legs of Conan (although reality says thats an alt truth) and my cardio is letting me scramble hard for the majority of an hour, instead of having to roll technically to last instead.

New year, New Deadpool!

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Excellent.

I'm sure my elbow and wrist injuries weren't healing due to weakness and I'll look to strengthen in the next couple of weeks.

Dead_pool likes this.
  4. Dead_pool

New year, new update!

So now I'm a parent, I'm training BJJ once to twice a week, depending on kids and work, so I've also joined a local council gym, and I'm using that once a week on top so I'm can keep up with the rehab, strength work and cardio.

So far I feel great, and the exercise really helps with the tiredness.

And in the summer I'm planking on starting doing small runs too.

I'll restart my log this week too hopefully!

axelb, Nachi and Knee Rider like this.
  5. Dead_pool

Update, now that the sleep patterns have settled down I'm regularly hitting
    1) One BJJ class a week
    2) One BJJ open mat a week
    3) One to Two gym sessions a week.

My real life cardio has gone up due to all the rowing, I'm stronger, but my general BJJ skills arnt keeping up with the people training BJJ everyday.

So I'm trying to pare down my skill set and focus on only a few things at a time.
    Currently it's

1) SLX/footlock position, including reaping/anti reaping,
    2) closed guard backtakes/anti standing sweeps, and
    3) backpostion hand fighting/stopping the stand up.

Which will do me for the next few months at least. Ps also escapes, I'm getting plenty of practise at these atm.

axelb and Knee Rider like this.
  6. Dead_pool

So I increased my martial arts training this week, from 3 hours BJJ, to 5 hours BJJ/MMA/wrestling.

And it massively showed in my weekend gym work, all my cardio times are down, and I left early today as I had no more gass in the tank. I think I'm gonna have to be careful with extra cardio/weights volume whilst I'm getting used to it.

axelb likes this.
  7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

all that extra time on the mat, your little one's sleep pattern must be pretty good :)

Are you finding any impact on the days your kid wakes randomly in the night?

8. Dead_pool

Ten hours a night, pretty solidly, but with regular broken sleep when teething/nightmares etc.

So one session a week training on a OK week, and two on a great week, and none on a bad week, I'm varying it with work shifts, and how tired my partner is, having a late night training, with a super early morning start and potential broken nights sleep = very bad idea!

axelb likes this.