Resuming MA training

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by dan.scriabin, Dec 25, 2016.

1. dan.scriabin

dan.scriabin New Member

Hi guys, I started training northern shaolin again a month ago after not training for a few years. It definitely feels great and I'm not sure why I stopped in the first place (life, family, work, studies, money, kids, excuses? lol)

I'm 35 years old, and I've exercised since as far back as I can remember. What I've been doing all this time that I did not train martial arts per se is, stretching, calisthenics, jogging, etc. I'm glad I did because coming back to martial arts classes was not that tough :hat:

There's tons of great info and people in here so I'll get to reading!

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

Good to have you on-board.

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Welcome :)

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Welcome to MAP! :)

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Welcome to MAP! Glad to have you here!

I would respectfully suggest that if coming back to MA classes "wasn't that tough" you aren't pushing yourself hard enough though. :hat: There is a story at my school of a student asking our GM when the training got easier. His response was something like (massive paraphrasing - but this is the just of it), if you are training properly and always pushing yourself, never.

For one thing, have lower stances. ;)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  6. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Welcome to MAP. Glad you got back on the path.

7. dan.scriabin

dan.scriabin New Member

You are darn right dude, I'm glad you pointed that out, I'll work harder. That being said, it was a bit tougher today, one hour of forms, tun da, shaolin 6, very nice form.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.