Judo DOMS

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Knee Rider, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

How common/normal is it to experience DOMS in the lower back after judo? I had it Monday (iced and Tuesday was fine) and got it Friday (iced and much better today but still a little stiff). Pretty sure my form is ok on forward throws and my ukemi is passable. Is it common? Will it pass as my posterier chain gets used to the motions in Judo? Anyone else experienced this?

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

DOMS isn't the right word, lower back injury is probably more accurate.

You're probably rounding your back a little or trying to execute throws when your hips are too high, causing you to muscle it through and tweak your lower back muscles.

It could also be due to weak core muscles failing to stabilise your spine and exacerbating the stresses being put through your lower back.

Start paying very close attention to your forward throws, making sure all the lift is coming from your legs and that your core is tightly engaged during all lifting movements.

3. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

You are probably right. I think my form is generally good but might be slipping over the course of class due to volume of repetitions. It's essentially throw for throw for over an hr before randori and there were some clunky seo nagis towards the end if last night in retrospect. Maybe need to slow it down.

Thanks!

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Yeah, I only need to bodge a couple of lifts and I feel it the next day.