Push ups, cant do them

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by zombiekicker, Aug 7, 2013.

1. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I only punch them when my kicks fail me. My kicks never fail me.

[​IMG]

Yes.

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

well, the poor horse DID need a break...

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

eccentrics too. slow on the way down.

4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

5. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

It could be a signature move "the dead dog punch of death"

6. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Just do them on your knees instead of your toes for a while and you'll find you will be able to get a few more reps over time... after that start to vary your hand position so that all areas of your chest are worked.

7. Batterygal0515

Batterygal0515 New Member

You can start by doing wall or elevated push-ups, or do them on your knees first friend. When you get the groove of it, try and rev it up to 75-100 reps in one set. When that gets boring, you're probably ready for the regular push-up.

That's how I went about the standard push-up, at least. Hope it works for you.:)

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm going to start doing this. I can do about 15-20 with good form? Which is pretty embarrassing when you're doing it as a class.

9. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

10. David Harrison

Where do you feel your form collapse?

I've found most often the weak link in the chain are the deep abdominals and muscles around the lumbar/thoracic spine.

Are you doing core-specific, and particularly spinal muscle strengthening exercises (other than isometric exercises, like pushups)?

11. David Harrison

Looks like a good programme, but I wasn't keen on the form of the pushups shown. I don't like pushing up to a locked straight-arm, it's doing nothing for you and I think of it as cheating. Some bad neck positions shown, and that black belt woman on the first page has her hips raised.

12. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I can‘t speak for the design of the website :p

But I‘ve found the progression to work quite well.

13. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Anyone has ideas on how to do them more explosively? I can do 15-20 with good form, but they're much slower than I'd like, especially towards the end.

14. Fish Of Doom

getting stronger should help, as should plyometric pushups (first aim to have your hands leave the ground, then maybe work towards clapping pushups (focusing on airtime, not on clapping faster, which is cheating :p), then get even stronger

15. Fish Of Doom

throwing stuff for distance with a similar motion (like a crossfit wall ball toss, or throwing a medicine ball ala a basketball throw, maybe some shot put type unilateral throws as well) may also be of use

16. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You could try my bouncing press ups, where you raise the entire body about 2 inches from the floor.

Just increase or decrease the range of motion to suit your needs.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ico8AzGWAMs&list=UUCEvC8J27lX6ns2hNgY3zUQ"]Bouncing Press Ups.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

17. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

i have now solved the push up problem by wearing a tapout vest and looking hard innit

18. tyciol

tyciol Valued Member

OP if you can't manage a decent number flat, you can supplement with easier versions like doing against a wall (or other means of elevating hands, to shift more weight onto your feet) or doing them on your knees, which shortens the leaver and lets you shift more weight off your hands.

19. neems

neems Valued Member

I used to be a fitness instructor and helped out quite a lot of obese people,I found the best way to help them was to focus on strength at first,so squat,deadlift and bench press 5x5,3 times a week.

I don't care if you can only lift 20% of your bodyweight (or even if you can't add any weight for the squat) ,work toward your goals steadily,there are no quick fixes.

Also do a couple of days a week light cardio,even just walking/hiking for an hour if you feel that pushes you,eat properly and follow your program stringently.

depending on how disciplined you are (remove the ego when trying to gauge this) you may NEED a training partner or personal trainer.

good luck.