pistols ankles

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by flaming, Nov 26, 2013.

1. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I used to be able to do pistols. I just tried them and they seem a good way to improve ankle mobility?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  2. Jeffkins

Jeffkins Sleuth Diplomacy

Off the top of my head, pistols require the greatest amount of ankle dorsiflexion of any compound movement. So, yes.

3. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

They 'require' a ton of dorsiflexion, but the 'best' way to develop ankle dorsiflexion? No.

That's like saying Olympic snatch is the best way to develop shoulder mobility/stability.

If dorsiflexion is a problem, figure-4 sits would be my starting point.

Don't try to use a weight baring compound move to increase mobility. If the pattern is already off, all you'll do is damage yourself... or fall over :)

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Foam roll your calves (they usually need serious work so use a barbell or PVC pipe if yours are bad), do weighted calf raises on a box (heels hang over the edge) and isometric stretches for the calves.

6. Jeffkins

Jeffkins Sleuth Diplomacy

Yes, one SHOULD, do weight bearing compound movements to increase mobility. As long as you're selecting your levels appropriately they are a great help.

I never said it was the best either though, but if this guy thinks pistols will help his ankle mobility, he's going to do drills that allow him to do pistols, this will be doing the ankle prep work he needs. I actually do precisely say to athletes that want to work on mobility that we're working towards doing an overhead squat. This forces us to look at the issues in the ankle hip and shoulder to be able successfully do one.

7. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Foam rolling, stretching and patterning work. We do not load an ankle restriction as this encourages compensations or injuries.

Once we have an acceptable range of motion we can do relax into stretching work.

Look to the work done by Cook, Burton, Weingroff, Lakatos, etc. They all have great results and work with pro's to grannies.

8. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Somebody help out a frail old sloth here - "pistols"?

9. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

It's a short range, easy to conceal firearm . . . jeez karate. (It's a one legged squat and is dubbed a "pistol squat." Search for "pistol squat" on Google and you'll get the idea)

@Freeform, what's a "figure 4 sit." I looked it up on Google but all I could find were pictures of people sitting with one leg propped up on their thigh. :eek:

10. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

...As soon as I posted that, I sat there thinking "someone's probably gonna tell me it's a gun", then thought "nah, no-one would be that mean to me". Cheers Ero :cry:

;)

Oh I get ya. I've seen them before but I had no idea they were called that. Cheers dude :)

I always assumed they were great once you have that flexibility in your ankles but not before personally. I could be wrong though.

11. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I tried the pistols, they are more difficult than I remember. I'll try split squats with as much dorsi flexion as I can. Which means my quads will get bigger :cry:

12. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

bulgarian split squats too

13. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

You make it sound like a bad thing. :D

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Bra straps break instantly upon the sight of big, muscular thighs.

Or jock straps, if that's your thing.

Either way, squat.

15. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

I just tried pistol squats.
    I find them really hard- I can go down till my leg is parallel to the floor but any further and I'm pretty much flat on my butt.
    I can back squat well over 200kg so was not expecting to be so difficult. Must be my balance.
    Do people use barbels with pistols or is that a dangerous idea?

16. flaming

flaming Valued Member

A small weight held in front of the body helps, progressing to a lighter weight then nothing.

http://www.beastskills.com/one-legged-squat-the-pistol/

Soft tissue massage before trying them would help, especially the little toe muscle on the outside of the foot it's important for balance.