Kickboxing syllabus terminology

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by pjbennett, Oct 8, 2016.

1. pjbennett

pjbennett New Member

Hello

My daughter has been kickboxing for about 6 months. She's only 5 and appears to be a natural. The coaches have described her as a rare talent. I try to help her as much as I can at home between classes. She loves it and it's created a lovely bond between us.

I have a copy of the grading syllabus for her club and I have a background in kickboxing, boxing and Muay Thai but have not come accross the terms for the majority of the techniques before. For example a jab is called a snap punch in her syllabus and a hook is a roundhouse punch etc. It's not difficult stuff it's just understanding the definition.

Normally, I am able to use you tube to solve all my problems but I can't find many of the names of the techniques on there so cannot find the technique. Does anyone know of a resource that lists the techniques please?

I know that this is a very broad question and understand if it's a tricky one to answer but any answers are very much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Maybe it's unique to the kids to make it more interesting and martial artsy. Roundhouse punch sounds waaay cooler than hook.

3. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Well in Karate Gizami Zuki is usually translated as a snap(ping) punch rather than a jab and Maewashi Zuki in its various forms is translated as a roundhouse punch rather than a hook. Given the relationship between Karate and Kickboxing that's hardly surprising.

4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Yeah sounds like a Karate thing to me. Never heard any of that terminolgy at any Kickboxing or Muay Thai gym I've trained at.

5. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

My 7 year old son also does kickboxing but they don't have any grades or tests.

6. Vinny Lugo

Vinny Lugo Valued Member

That is strange. I did kicboxing and boxing. All I heard was jab, cross, hook and uppercut. Never heard of a snap punch

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This is why you should pick somewhere and stick with it.

There are many different jabs, such as feeler jab, speed jab, flicker jab, up jab, power jab and so on.

8. LetsGetItOn

LetsGetItOn Valued Member

Sounds very 'unkickboxingy' to me. Maybe just ask the coach direct what they translate to in more popular terms.

9. route12

route12 New Member

Hi,
    Snap punch (jab) (and reverse punch if it's a cross) and roundhouse punch (hook) are all Karate terms. The school I trained at taught both Wado Ryu karate and freestyle American kickboxing. These are just different names for the same thing.

10. kickboxingtalk

kickboxingtalk New Member

Hi, the club I trained at under ‘WAKO’ use similar terminology with a grading syllabus.

Best Regards
    Jay