FMA Terminology Archive

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by ap Oweyn, Feb 3, 2010.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

This idea came up in response to various threads lately asking for the definition of various terms. The question is always complicated by the facts that 1) FMA draws from so many dialects, resulting in different regional terms for the same thing; 2) many terms are drawn from other sources and then filtered through a Filipino dialect (e.g., "praksyon" instead of "fraction"); 3) different styles or groups might use different terms to describe the same basic thing; 4) different styles or groups might use the same term to describe different things; and 5) FMAs tend to cross-pollinate, both with other FMAs and other styles in general.

With that last point in mind, I'm suggesting that we not only cite the style from which we're drawing our definition, but the specific teachers or training group, as teachers may also use terms according to their use in other styles in their background. The Patalinghugs, for instance, may use terms differently than Danny Guba, despite both representing Doce Pares.

Here's the format I'm suggesting then:

Term here
    Source style
    Source teacher or training group
    Definition
    Approximate timeframe when you heard the term used this way (as use changes over time as well)

If anyone else can think of other salient information, include that as well.

I'm fully anticipating multiple entries for the same terms. That's the point of specifying style, teacher or training group, and even the timeframe for when you heard it used a certain way. To account for differences in definition.

We're not going to get a clean "glossary." But it will be an interesting cultural exercise to see how the language evolves, adapts, and mutates throughout FMA.

Have at it.

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Abecedario
    Style: Doce Pares Eskrima "Cacoy Style"
    Teachers or Training Group: Patalinghug family, Kick Connection

Abecedario refers to the basic Attack, Block, Counter-style training method in which one person "feeds" a strike and the other person blocks and works a series of counters. Comparable to one-step sparring in karate, though the emphasis is on flowing through a series of counters, rather than stopping after one or two. Literally the ABCs, abecedario is one of the most fundamental training methods for developing defensive and countering skills in a structured drill.

Timeframe: I trained with the Patalinghugs (full-time) from 1989 to about 1996. I still get back there sporadically, though, and they're still using the term in the same way today.

-Stuart

3. embra

embra Valued Member

Good work Stuart. It will be of interest to see what Pat makes out of the format.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Thanks. I did forget one thing though. If you've got a dialectical origin (e.g., Ilocano), include that too. I'm not going to be much help in that regard, I'm afraid. But that would offer us some cultural insights as well.

Stuart

5. flo0d

flo0d Dingo

Term: Amara
    Source style: Diamondback Eskrima
    Teacher: Greg Henderson
    Definition: Striking Pattern
    Timeframe: 5 years ago

Term: Palakau
    Definition: To Walk

Term: Redonda
    Definition: Round (figure 8 movement)

Term: Abenico
    Definition: Fan movement

6. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Very good and I think it will be a good place for people to go that are into the terminologie.

Because of the diversity in terminologie I personally dont find it that important as I much prefer the learn how to do it rather than worry how to say it approach.

Its a bit late at night for me to list things, but I will when I rack my brains. I have probably forgot more terminologies than I care to remember simply due to the fact that I heard the same thing described so many different ways, the the same description used for so many different things.

The most common one I like is 'You do like Dis and I do like Dat'

Best regards

Pat

7. Citom

Citom Witless Wonder

Just ask and I'll attempt to translate.
    Credentials: Born and bred in the Philippines... Fluent Filipino (Tagalog) speaker with Cebuano speaking wife and Pangasinan speaking Father..

8. shootodog

shootodog restless native

what happened to our glossary? the sticky?

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Don't know. Maybe they cleaned house after the recent technical troubles. I remember the FAQ, which is still there.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Largo Mano
    Style: General term, though there are styles called "Largo Mano" (most notably the style of GM Leo Giron)
    Teacher or Training Group: General term
    Derivation: From the Spanish for "long hand"

Refers to the long range, usually determined as the range at which an opponent can't hit your body but you can hit his extremeties (and, by extension, he can hit yours). Characterized by less punyo (butt of the stick) and less involvement by the secondary hand.

Stuart

11. shootodog

shootodog restless native

general terms:

laban laro = sparring
    laro = to play (usually means to fight/ spar)
    sabak = to try or to test or to enter a fight
    subok = to test. usually this refers to a fight.

12. flo0d

flo0d Dingo

Term: Sinawali
    Definition: Weaving

13. flo0d

flo0d Dingo

Tapi-Tapi??

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Depends on who you ask. I'll let a more knowledgeable Modern Arnis player to do a proper entry. But in Modern Arnis, tapi tapi refers to a counter-for-counter (contra y contra)-style drill done with single stick and incorporating flows, traps, and empty hand counters.

In my Doce Pares experience, tapi tapi refers to a style of blocking in which you "tap" the incoming weapon (or hand preferably) with your stick before checking with your empty hand (or secondary weapon). The "tap" obviously is generally more of a "whack." But "whacky whacky" sounds kinda... wrong.

Stuart

15. flo0d

flo0d Dingo

Plansa? (I know this as a horizontal strike)

Kalista/Eskrimador/Arnisador = practitioner of these arts??

peace

16. Citom

Citom Witless Wonder

"Plantsa" (Tagalog orthography) or "Plancha" (Spanish orthography) means "iron" (noun, device for pressing clothes) or "iron" (verb, to press clothes with an iron).
    Some FMA styles use this term for a horizontal strike since it is similar to the motion used when ironing clothes.
    [​IMG]
    An antique "Plantsa"...

17. Citom

Citom Witless Wonder

I may have found an alternative etymology for this term. According to a Cebuano dictionary "tapi" is a Cebuano term meaning "umilag" in Tagalog, which means "evade" in English.., it is translated as "parry" in the dictionary: http://www.bohol.ph/diksyunaryo.php?sw=tapi&lang=Cebuano&search=Search
    So tapi-tapi could mean continuous evasion and parrying as in most Filipino dialects, repeating a word means continuous repitition, eg "araw-araw" means "day after day" or "everyday".

Cito

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Oh, that's great stuff Citom. I had assumed that it was an onamotapoeia (sp?) for the tapping sound the sticks made. But yes, "parrying" makes a lot of sense. "Evading" less so, as it's still a force-on-force defense. (Blocking into the attack, versus letting it pass.)

But yes, I'd definitely characterize the Doce Pares movements I described as being parrying.

Thanks Citom.

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yep. From the Spanish. The suffix "-dor" is someone who does that thing. So a "matador" is a killer. "Matar" is "to kill." So a matador is a killer.

An arnisador is a practitioner of arnis, etc.

20. flo0d

flo0d Dingo

What we call double cane exercises is 'pinghy pinghy'. I thought it was tapi-tapi, but was wrong.

pinghy pinghy?

peace