Ankle and hip strengthening

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by viccles, Aug 2, 2016.

1. viccles

viccles Valued Member

Hi everyone. I am in dire need of some ankle/hip strengthen exercises. To cut a long story short I've had an ankle operation and a number of abdominal surgeries. Have smashed core strengthening and am a lot stronger in that area but ankle and hips are still weak. To top it off I sprained my bad ankle a couple of months ago. It's better but still weak. Have difficulty with kicks, kumite and general karate because of it. Am doing squats/lunges/deadlifts/calf raises/tip toe walking/balancing. Any other exercises or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Hi! This really is something to check with a sports physiotherapist, actually, but those exercises should keep you mostly covered, barring a few things (MAP member Late for Dinner is a physical therapist, so he can advise better than I). Lunges should help with hip flexors, but you may want some leg raises and planks in there too to complete things. Also, slow kicking should help a lot as well, particularly with strengthening the outside hip muscles. I believe Simon here usually recommends a video by Bill Wallace on the subject that he has found useful in that regard. Glute exercises and activation drills may be of utility as well, of which I'd recommend hip thrust/glute bridge variations (particularly single legged), and banded lateral walks or similar.

3. viccles

viccles Valued Member

Thank you! Forgot to mention I am doing planks as well. I will start doing glute bridges/banded lateral walks. Just feel like progress is really slow. :(

4. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

I broke my ankle in 4 places 3 yrs ago and was in a cast/boot for almost a year.. I utilized a tennis ball by putting my foot on it and rolling it back and forward to get the ankle flexible both laterally along with back and forth.. I also used a wabble board from the PT dept at the military hospital I had the surgery at.. The limitations in flexibility and strength are not as significant as they were.. I would suggest using the ball and roll the foot in both forward and circular actions to build up the tendons and ligaments..

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

The Bill Wallace video I recommend is this one.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxokaEvKnD8"]Superfoot Wallace training for high kicks with a chair - YouTube[/ame]

A work colleague is a semi professional rugby player and is real stiff.

I recommended this video to him only yesterday.

The height of the kick is irrelevant. It's the opening of the hips that's important.

6. viccles

viccles Valued Member

Thank you!

7. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Silly question but have you had any actual treatment post operatively to improve your hips and ankle? I find that most people have more stiffness than they think when they are recovering from an operation. Yes there are tons of exercises that i/we can give you but to start maybe let us know where you ended up after your ops.

Did they provide physio? Did you feel that the physio gave you full flexibility, strength and normal coordination? How much treatment did you have, did you have a home programme to carry on afterwards and how long did you do it for?

I tell patients they should carry out their exercise programmes for at least 12 weeks post op. I tore my rotator cuff ( no op) and ruptured my knee (PCL rupture / MCL partial tear) and it took 9 and 18+ months before I felt that I was getting back to relatively normal strength.

Waiting to hear what you have been through mate!

:' D

LFD

8. viccles

viccles Valued Member

I've had a lot of treatment post surgery but I don't feel like I was given a proper rehab program. I definitely don't feel like I have normal strength and coordination. I probably had 6 weeks of treatment but they didn't really give me a proper program to keep going with. I'm still struggling to find someone who can give me a proper program. I have nearly zero activation of my hips no matter how hard I try to get them moving!

9. Late for dinner

Let me know where you are and I can see if I can recommend someone in your area. You can let me know the area (*country ? county? ) here or PM me if you prefer.

LFD

10. viccles

viccles Valued Member

Queensland, Australia :)

11. Late for dinner

Ok I'm not sure how much help this to start with but it will help you to locate some people closer to yourself. It seems I will need more specific information before I can point you to someone since Oz is big and so is Queensland :' D

Take a peek at this site:

http://www.physiotherapy.asn.au/findaphysio

and here you can search by area, radius, treatment area—a list of physios will appear that you can contact for an appointment. For your case, choose musculoskeletal. You might also consider Sports as further limiting description.

See how that goes and come back to me if you are still having problems. I used to go to Uni with the ex president of the Australian Physiotherapy Association back in Canada so I might be able to dig further with more specific details of your location.

LFD

12. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Fish wins the thread! :D :hat: Osu!

13. viccles

viccles Valued Member

It looks like I'm seeing a person in the right area - his clinical area is sports. Feel like we've been doing a lot in the way of treatment of my sore spots (there are a lot of them!) but want to do more in the way of strengthening/exercises. He gave me a few e.g., step ups on a wobbly machine (I don't know what they are called?), balancing on wobble board (which I am doing quite well now) and this other one of putting the weight on my bad foot and sliding my foot around on a towel. I've also started doing hip thrusts (not sure if I'm doing them right though) and taken up hula hoop LOL. I feel like I've made progress as I can now hop and bounce around on my feet a little without pain. I just need to get the glute/hip activation going.

14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Ive been using a cheap copy of these (resistance bands - sprinter bands) for six months now to help my hip strength strength and dexterity and they're amazing.

I'm actually going to look at getting a good quality version when my current ones have died a little more.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7wrEGnE2jM"]MMA Foot Work Training with John Kavanagh | Speed Bands - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNVB176TSlI"]Kicking Drills using Speed Bands by John Kavanagh - YouTube[/ame]