Hyungs/Kuk sa nim

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Hyung1988, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Hyung1988

Hyung1988 Valued Member

I was curious about a few things, first is I can't seem to find any videos of hyungs higher level than oon hak hyung. also I can't find hardly any of Kuk sa nim performing Forms, I'va also looked for pictures of his wife, meaning the mother of Alex, Sung Jin Suh, etc.

2. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

the WKSA will not put out videos of higher level hyung, you might find a master who left that has one though. I may have seen 1 or 2 pictures of his wife in my time with the WON, I'm assuming she doesn't want to be public.

3. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

Let me further explain, the hyungs in the higher ranks are not meant to just be done move by move. There's a building process that starts with Ki Cho Hyung and works up, just copying the moves from a video and you lose at least 1/2 of the benefit and meaning of the form. They need to be taught individually by masters who are current members and receive training from their teachers to ensure it is correct.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Why do you want to see pictures of his wife? :confused:

Mitch

5. Hyung1988

Hyung1988 Valued Member

Thanks for a great explanation

Based on the forms I learned early on I'm grateful they taught them to me peacemeal. it truly is the greatest martial art in the world!!!!

Thank you Xanth for explaining in so well sir

6. Hyung1988

Hyung1988 Valued Member

ksn wife

simple curiosity

7. Hyung1988

Hyung1988 Valued Member

mitch, simply curious

for the simple reason I've been following this guy for decades & have never seen him perform one of his hyungs Or see his wife ever at all! jus thought that was odd

8. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Maybe the wife doesn't want to be out in public or have pictures taken?

9. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Sounds like a pyramid scheme.

I've always thought that the difference between an artist and a technician is that the technician conceals his methods, he doesn't want you to copy them. An artist knows you cannot.

10. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

I've seen him do hyungs, and there are videos of him doing them. Don't just assume that he's running a pyramid scheme. Do you know of any other martial art the size of the WON (world wide organization) that you get the same training in England that you get in Venezuela or Iran or Italy, Germany, Wisconsin etc ? He personally travels to every location, every year to ensure quality of the art he created.

11. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Boxing? Brazilian Jiu Jitsu? Judo? Basically any widely popular competitive sport?

Who pays for all his traveling? :]

12. Hyung1988

Hyung1988 Valued Member

KSN/hyungs

thank you Xanth for all the useful info about Kuk Sa nim. I have nothing but respect for him and KSW as a whole, I know he specializes in pressure points & joint locks but have no doubt he can perform hyungs, he is the founder of KSW after all. I would just love to see more videos of him, He is the man who presented me with my last belt in 1988. I need to get motivated & spend more time preparing myself to walk back into a Dojang.

13. kuksool_keith

kuksool_keith Valued Member

As Xanth says. Higher forms arnt ever found on the internet or text books. There's reasons for this. Too many ppl rip off Kuk Sool, this way higher learning is kept strictly whithin Kuk Sool Won.

As for Kuk Sa Nims wife (won't mention her by her name out of respect) You'll need to go to South Korea to meet her. Lovely lady but very private.

14. Hyung1988

Hyung1988 Valued Member

plagurism/ripoff

To KSW Keith, I would have to agree with you on ppl ripping off KSW, For Kuk Sa Nim to spend a lifetime developing such an awesome style & to give so many people the opportunity to open their own schools & not only teach KSW as a martial art but a way of life it's disgusting to see people run off, change a letter or 2 & basically sell their soul for whatever reason I'll never understand. A lot has changed since I trained in the 80's but I know for a fact there are still a few good guys out there that I trained with on Simmons street in Galesburg under KJN BOB ZEFO, RIP sir, I'll never forget you guys

Frank colwell likes this.
  15. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

In the korean documentary made about him in the late 90's/early 2K I saw him tearing it up with a fast-handed version of sam bang cho il hyung. On youtube there are some vids of him doing the first 3 forms when HeYoungKim taped him. When it comes to forms and his physical expertise, though, something tells me pressure points and leading an organization are more his thing.

16. Hyung1988

Hyung1988 Valued Member

Cool! I have been trying to find the KBS documentary "Victory of a little giant" about him on the internet & can't find it. I've only seen him do Cho gup hyung in an old Gene Cause video along with him doing some basic techniques on He-Young-Kim

17. Hyung1988

Hyung1988 Valued Member

On the other hand there are plenty of videos of Sung Jin Suh his oldest son doing Hyung Demos to perfection. Between reading his quotes & watching his videos I could see some of my own errors back in the 80's & I felt like I practiced all KSW hyungs up to & including Gum Moo Hyung to a fault if that's possible! I had such a passion for the formsI couldn't help it! LOL

18. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

If your looking for WKSA info from one of the live-in students of Kuk Sa Nim, look up Gene H. Gause on facebook. He is always giving out great info and stories related to the art and his time with the grandmaster. He is currently a 6th degree Master and runs the southern California regional schools.

19. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

You won't find videos of higher level hyung, for the reason's mentioned and for the fact that no higher level hyung are currently taught outside the 9th dahn level.

If you want to see pictures of Kuk Sa Nim and Sa Mo Nim, you can find them on the Kuk Sool Won web page kuksoolwon.com, look in the media section, in particular the Korea trip photos, she is not that elusive, but she does run things behind the scene for WKSA so she doesn't get much publicity.

Great that you like hyung, I for one do as well, lots of benefits in hyung training, you should jump right back in and start training.

Good Luck!

20. Hyung1988

Hyung1988 Valued Member

hyungs

I think I will get back to training, thank for the nudge, I've seen some of the videos by Gene Cause & been on the KSW web, but I'm going to try & find G. Cause facebook page. One thing that has been holding me back is they are wanting you to sign up for a year at a time these days & all I really want to do right now Is get a new training uniform, New but Longer Belt LOL I'm much heavier now & go month by month but I'm sure I can work something out I have my WKSA Certificate of Dan # so now to just take action. thanks for the feedback, & please keep it coming I need all the help I can get guys.