What style to go with?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Shady553, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Shady553

Shady553 New Member

Hi all,

I need some help, At the moment I'm training Jiu Jitsu and everything goes well only my striking can use some extra training so I was thinking why not combine my Jiu Jitsu training with Karate.

Only then I need to choose a style the 3 styles that i have in my city are.

Kyokushin
    Shotokan
    ****o Ryu

I did some research only still don't know what style to go with so maybe you guys can give me some extra info.

Thanks!

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Most schools offer a free lesson or two. Go visit each school and see which one you like best.

If there are youtube clips or web sites for any of your three schools listed, you can post the link on here so we can get a better idea of your choices.

I think it is more about the school than the style.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I'm biased but Kyokushin all the way. No disrespect to Shotokan or ****o-ryu, they're both beautiful styles. But Kyok is certainly more "no nonsense" than the other two.

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

kyok is by default the more hitty style. shoto and ****o will vary massively between schools and substyles, all the way from no sparring and no contact sparring to kyok-style free sparring and heavy contact during basics. if you're only interested in the striking, kyok's your best best, unless the others happen to spar heavy. if you're also interested in the rest of what krotty practice has to offer, the super simplified version is that shotokan has huuuuuuuge movements and more straight lines and big arcs, while ****o-ryu has shorter lines and more compact twists (also more varied material). kyok's basics and kata are somewhere in between in terms of flavour.

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I know it's vague, but it depends on the classes. Try them and see! I do love a bit of kyokushin though...

Mitch

6. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Kyokushin: hands down.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

But you can always learn to keep them up in a headshots environment.

Mitch

8. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Haha! I salute you sir!

9. Shady553

Shady553 New Member

Thanks all for the reactions!

Going try the class Kyokushin and Shotokan to see which class I like most.

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Muay Thai is the best style of Karate.

11. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Try them all.

Only stick with the Ky if they spend a fair proportion of time defending against head shots. :)

12. chucksmanhood

chucksmanhood Valued Member

Cheeky git.

13. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Let us know how you got on with them!

14. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Dude...

15. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Not always
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXmqBBy2mpk"]Legend: Andy Hug - YouTube[/ame]

16. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

False. It is a style of TKD, which everyone knows is the progenitor of Karate.

17. Shady553

Shady553 New Member

I have done 2 classes with both styles and the style I liked the most was Kyokushin so I'm training that 2 times a week.

18. webcrest

webcrest Valued Member

Go for kyokushin or Muay Thai,both are superb kind of karate style. you will feel really good:)

19. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Excellent! Glad you did your research and made an informed choice. That already puts you an advantage over most people!

20. Marku85

Marku85 Valued Member

I would suggest kyokushin over muay thai personally also. Goodluck!

This wikipedia page would seem to make a good start of understanding the root of many of the Karate systems, thats what i would do when researching a martial art system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okinawan_martial_arts

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016