British wrestling getting UFC sponsorship

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Dead_pool, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

British Judo made a lot of its sponsorship, unfortunately the international governing bodies didn't appreciate their pioneering spirit. There's a chance the wrestling governing bodies might take a similarly dim view.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The comments in fb about the BJA and the UFC were amazingly misinformed.

From what I heard its the french who ruined it for the UK, so the BJA couldn't make best use of it, the UK scene was split about it too, and the head of the BJA stepped down because of it too, all in all a shambles.

4. holyheadjch

Well, the French basically run the EJU, so yeah, we can blame the French.

5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I think the UFC is quite good for the profile of wrestling, and certainly in this country the majority of people with an interest in wrestling do so because of MMA.

6. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

When they used to be FILA they ran amateur MMA competitions and still have the no-headshots version on their books. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they're OK with it.
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdw9pyRDABA"]World Championship of MMA FILA 2012: FRA vs UKR - YouTube[/ame]

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

It's good recognition. It'll take a while for anything to get rolling I think. As Ben says, due to a certain few fighter's popularity in the UFC and wrestling's usefulness in MMA is the reason there is a slight improved interest in wrestling in UK.
    But look at a lot of timetables of MMA gyms, there's still no wrestling classes. But that's also (once again) lack of general interest to have comps that is worth the gym's time to have wrestling classes.
    We are a striking style country, I feel. Despite the wrestling history that UK has.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

MMA has helped wrestling in this country. There is a wrestling club I go to occasionally and only three of us are there for anything other than wrestling. The rest of the club (maybe 10-15?) are just there for the benefit of wrestling.

On the flipside I know a few MMA gyms that are wrestle-heavy because they believe they will carry an advantage over other gyms. Higher Level and Shooters Dundee spring to mind. Both wrestle very well.

9. PsychoElectric

PsychoElectric Valued Member

In the UK, is there wrestling in schools?

10. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

In London there's LAW in South Kensington. Run by a Singaporean, full of Middle Eastern and Eastern European wrestlers.
    Other wrestling classes are run independantly in random places or as part of a MMA gym timetable.
    As said in a thread, I was wearing a wrestling club shirt and hobbling about due to my knee injury, next thing I know some random Asian guy with cauliflower ears points and shouts "wrestler"!
    To this day....dunno who he was pointing to.

11. PsychoElectric

PsychoElectric Valued Member

Are there competitions in wrestling between schools? by 'schools' i mean high schools.

12. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

It's not taught in schools.

13. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

A good few schools do have after school judo programs though.

14. Pretty In Pink

And it bloody well should be.

15. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Judo was at one point.
    Ray Mears had to learn Judo as a compulsory subject separate from PE (literally watching him talk about it on TV now, he had to wrestle in mongolia to get his passport back)

16. holyheadjch

I was taught Judo as a compulsory PE block.

17. Pretty In Pink

Well it wasn't taught were I was. Wish it had been.

18. holyheadjch

Most Judo instructors have full time jobs, so its hard to find enough coaches to go around.

19. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Cult of gentlemanly amateurism has its downsides.

20. holyheadjch

If coaches were full time professionals, schools wouldn't be able to afford to bring them in.

It's a circular problem.