Seven Samurai (by Kurisawa)

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by lorenzodamarith, Aug 6, 2013.

1. lorenzodamarith

lorenzodamarith Project: Chaos!

hello,

have any of you watched this film, or any of it's later variations such as The Magnificent Seven (Yul Brenner).

this film not only depicted and interesting situation (the defense of a village), but also told and interesting, character driven story. each of the main characters was united in their purpose to defend the village, but each had very different and very believable motivations for doing so.

one could successfully make the argument that this is a war movie, or an action movie, or a drama, or a character study, or a number of other things. one would be correct in any such assessment.

what this film did really well was showed us a movie could be more than "just one thing".

on a personal note, it was refreshing to see supporting characters (of the main cast... the heroes) that weren't merely some form of sidekicks. each was someone the audience could identify with and believe in.

not surprisingly, most regard this movie as a masterpiece, so much so that even most of it's descendants (like the Magnificent Seven) are also considered masterpieces.

if you want to see a film depicting heroism and honor in a manner that is more than just hackneyed plot contrivance, and characters that really seem alive, then this is your movie.

thanks

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You should check out "Yojimbo" too

Seven Samurai was also the inspiration for "Battle Beyond the Stars" I believe

3. lorenzodamarith

hello,

hannibal is of course correct. EVERYONE should check out "Yojimbo". it was fabulous.

HA!

completely blanked on "Battle Beyond The Stars". saw that one a long time ago, too (back in the eighties).

thanks

4. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

My favorite! Also the only movie I have ever watched with the commentary on(by some film critic which pointed out some things I had not noticed). I have also watched it with subtitles off and just watched the actors. It's been awhile sinced I've seen it, probably have to watch it tonight.

5. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Yeah, this is also my favorite movie. Good times.

6. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Yojimbo was the influence for the classic spaghetti western "A Fistful of Dollars" and the Bruce Willis movie, "Last Man Standing". Another Kurosawa film "The Hidden Fortress" was influential on some guy named George Lucas when he did this thing with droids 'n stuff.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  7. Hannibal

Chambara had a big influence on a lot of cinem

Of course it cuts both ways - Kurosawa was a big western fan, and how can one not mention " Ran"....king Lear with Samurai!

8. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

i did have all the shinobi no mono on a memory stick but some numpty lost it? while i was out injured

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

seven samurai is my favorite movie of all time. as others have mentioned, yojimbo and sanjuro are both great and are companion pieces. hidden fortress is very good. other great early kurosawa period-piece films include throne of blood and rashomon.

basically though, watch all the kurosawa movies you can. you won't be disappointed!

10. lorenzodamarith

hello,

wise and powerful is giovanni...

thanks

11. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Respectfully, that is a ridiculous question on a martial arts forum this big. Of course MAP'ers know about that movie. A little searching and thinking next time, please.

Word. I can't wait for the day when my son can read subtitles quickly enough to watch Kurosawa movies with me.

12. Giovanni

me too buddy, me too. they're still too young (4, 2) but man, i can't wait for the first seven samurai night.

13. Giovanni

it's easy to like great art bro!

14. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Umm...I don't. I've never seen any of the ones mentioned. Are they worth picking up on dvd?

15. Hannibal

You haven't seen "Seven Samurai"?

Go and buy it this instant! It's awesome beyond words

16. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I was more offended by the misspelling of Kurosawa ;) He is a master director and his other (non-samurai) work is good too. I particularly like 'High and Low'

17. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Just saw it on a certain online retailer site for nearly £15.

Methinks I will have to shop around...

18. Hannibal

It's worth every penny!

19. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I nearly had a heart attack when I opened this thread. What does this say about films today when people think movies just fit into well defined genres?

20. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

movies,

Hi All,
    Try Quaidan, Hara Kiri, Zatoichi movies and last but not least Lone Wolf and cub movies. Another Kurosawa/Mifune film , Red Beard and Kagemusha [Nakadai ]are also a great movie.Well worth watching.Samurai Rebellion is pretty good as well.I used to view these films with Billy Coyle[Slim] many years ago.Cheers, Joe.