The Raid

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Moosey, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Review of The Raid

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWlmhMSnVdM"]The Raid Movie Trailer 2011 HD - YouTube[/ame]

This unlikely combination of Welsh screenwriter/director and Indonesian martial artists brings home one of the best action B-movies in a long time. Stripping away any complex plotting, this movie sees a squadron of Indonesian police officers sent to raid a high-rise tower block where a drugs kingpin allows criminals to live - their weight of numbers usually keeping the police at arms length. As you might expect, things don't go entirely according to plan and it's up to lead actor Iko Uwais to get the surivors out of the building safely.

How does he manage this? By kicking a vast amount of ass using fists, boots, knives, guns, machetes and anything else he can lay his hands on.

As with any action move, you have to judge this on the strength of its action choreography and excitement factor. Luckily, the Raid is a winner on both counts. The fights are both nasty and creative, with a mixture of Ong Bak style bone-crunching kicks, some gore-splattered weapons work with knives and guns, and a very characteristic and fresh-looking hand-to-hand style from Uwais, who frequently attacks the legs and joints of his opponents to incapacitate them, as well as dispatching many with a mixture of punching and stabbing.

It should definitely be noted that this is pure exploitation cinema. It's gory and low-budget but, by creative use of digital film and limited sets, it really wrings the most out of its budget and ends up looking very slick and professional. There's plenty of cliche here, but also plenty of creativity and, as mentioned above, the fight scenes are a cut above even most Hong Kong kung-fu cinema.

For fans of kung-fu action B-movies, The Raid comes highly recommended.

4/5

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

By the way te new judge dread just stole their plot from the raid but I think the raid will prove to be better

3. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

there are similarity's in style but a judge dredd story similar to the Dredd film appeared in 2000AD years ago so who really ripped of who ? a group of people stuck somewhere full of there enemies forced to fight there way out isn't exactly the most original movie primes on either films part but there both great flix.

4. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Pretty sure the raid was mainly inspired by District 13, maybe even the ending scene of Leon the professional? Not much left in terms of originality in the world of Movies, Music, or Books, mainly just rehashes.

5. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

The only complaint i had was that the camera was a tad too jittery in most fight scenes. Gave me a headache. trying to focus on what exactly he was doing. =\

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I didn't think it was too bad. Certainly not compared to lots of American pics like The Bourne Supremacy.

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Best. Film. Ever. Went and saw it when it came out with a bunch of guys after we'd competed. Other than crying with laughter at his jumping rear naked escape I thought it was great. Surprisingly enjoyed what story there was and as just a fun action film to watch I can't think of one I like more. As an advertisement for Pencak Silat it works well too

8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Its Die Hard in an apartment block

:)

I'm gald I got my steelbook Blu ray early...got it for £15...now being sold for £45

9. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Excellent review, though over here it is called "The Raid: Redemption." (Not sure if that makes a difference, but it might make it easier to find on Netflix.) I watched it a few nights ago, and was thinking of putting up a review, but wow, you did it first and you did a great job! I agree with everything that you said.

The plot is minimal: A team of police raids the 15-story apartment building where the crime boss lives, with the goal of extracting him. Crime boss has basically an army of soldiers in the building. Enter lots of battles. Lest we not care whether anyone lives, main character has a pregnant wife. We want him to survive, even if everyone else dies.

Some portions of the fight are top-notch, right up there with best of the best on film. Other portions were annoying. Ex: Why did main character drop all of his weapons to continue empty-handed? Huh? Hello? And even UFC guys can't take THAT many blows to the head. There's a fine line between exciting fight, and a cartoon fight. Sometimes they crossed the line.

However, that muay thai bad guy who likes to fight -- I want to see him in more movies! That guy is so totally freaking awesome!

All told, I also would give it 4/5. Definitely put it in your movie queue. :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  10. aikiMac

"Raid: Redemption" fight

The short guy is the muay thai bad guy whom I'd like to see in other movies. He's fully awesome. What you don't get in this clip is the setup to the fight. Good Guy Cop Jaka pulls a knife at the end of a hallway fight, and Bad Guy Mad Dog pulls a gun. Ooops. With James Bond coolness, Mad Dog motions for him to put down the knife, get on his feet, and walk into this apartment. Mad Dog then pulls the clip out of his gun, clears the chamber, and puts it on the countertop. He says that he doesn't like "that," meaning shooting. He likes "this," and he squeazes his fists in the air. "This gives me a rush. This I like."

Bam -- first blow. It's on. :D
    (Oh, BTW, the clip ends a little early. Mad Dog wins.)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axt-Yo9tAcs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Axt-Yo9tAcs[/ame]

11. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I usually hate action and MA films, I liked Raid though.

If you like Raid and like zombies, give The Horde (La Horde) a watch. Similar kind of story...but add zombies. Not really Oscar material, but good brainless fun!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY4ui929TiE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY4ui929TiE[/ame]

12. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I had been following the release of this one for a long time. It's the same crew that made Merantau. The Raid as a sophmore effort is far superior. You do have to suspend disbelief with all the punishment some of these guys take and still walk away.

I thought it was action packed through most of it and also suspenseful in parts. The hiding behind the wall scene was great. All the blades in the movie certainly promoted that this was the land of Silat. I'm looking forward to see what these guys do next.

13. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Just picked up a copy. I hope it's as good as you guys are saying!

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I was at the European Premier (London) for that. Wasnt a great fan even though it ticks all my boxes - action/zombie/action/brainless

fell asleep :s

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I loved it, cringed quite a bit whenever it hit the floor though :D

16. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Okay well I watched this just last night and I have to say I didn't really like it that much.

I don't know what it was, maybe the camera work, the set, bad lighting, how long the fights went on for, but as much as I enjoyed the style of fights they had going on it just wasn't enjoyable for me.

Oh well.

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Not too mention that Dredd was probably in the works long before The Raid, given how much more time it takes a Hollywood production to solidify things than it would an Indonesian actioner.

18. aikiMac

Oh, come on, not even the knife work? Only Del Toro / Tommy Lee Jones have done better knife fights! Or when one dude kills another by dropping him onto the jagged edge of a busted door? I geeked out at that move! :eek: :)

I'm not saying this movie deserves any film award at all. It doesn't. I'm just saying, it has some classic movie-fight moments. :)

19. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

That's what I don't understand. I liked the fighting, heck I LOVED the knife work. Some of the throat cuts were delicious.... But as a whole I didn't like it. Part of it could be that it's the same environment over and over and I felt like it got kind of monotonous.

20. aikiMac

Okay, I can understand that. I can't disagree. I would say also that at times it was cartoonish in the amount of damage the guys could take.

But the knife parts and certain other fight moments are totally :D + :love: