Anyone interested in reading fantasy books on Kindle?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Sonshu, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Let me know as I written one and I hope people enjoy it.

PM me for the info :)

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Is it on Amazon? If so, then although we're not normally fans of advertising, I'd be happy to create an affiliate link for you so that others can download it and MAP can benefit.

Also, I read fantasy. What sort of theme is it?

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It doesn't have a bucket of soapy frogs and rubber pants in it Aegis so probably not the type of fantasy you were thinking of........ :evil:

4. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I've got no kindle but I would always be interested in a published work from a regular MAP member.

*assuming it's published, if not I'd still like a look!

5. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Damn!

6. Sonshu

Anyone with a PC can download it you just download, just download the Kindle reader on Iphone, Ipad or a normal PC of Mac.

Its called The Squire by CP Sennett (i.e me).

I will check with the publishers on the affiliate link as it would be good to get some help from the Map community :) nice one.

UK members:

http://qtvh.com/yourls/2a

US members:

http://qtvh.com/yourls/2b

Once I get the go ahead from the publisher (can't see any issues with it but best check) I can do whatever is needed for it.

Thanks guys it means a lot.

7. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Had a sample sent to my kindle, I'm not hugely into fantasy to tell the truth but I'll give anyone a fair chance and like to support new writers if I think they kick enough ass :)

8. Gary

Grabbed a copy, I'll read it when I can.

9. Sonshu

Super thanks for your support guys - also the affiliat thing Aegis - yep go for it, let me know what I need to do if anything?

10. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Hey, look at my signature. Duh. :D
    I have a non-fiction (solo) and a memoire-style (with a friend) nearly finished.

Very cool, Sonshu. Very cool. :cool:

Likewise for me. I don't know anything about anything about arranging such a thing, but I'm certainly interested in helping MAP while helping myself! :hat:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  11. Gary

Also grabbed. :D

Since there's a couple of published authors here, anyone mind me asking how you went about the whole process of editing, editors and publishers? Is there much of a difference between kindle self published novels and traditional hard copy?

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I've read aikiMac's book and enjoyed it.

RobertMAP has started to publish books on the Kindle platform, so a PM to him may be a good place to start.

Finally get a Kindle. Very good bits of kit.

13. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Perhaps a good time to make an "authors of MAP" thread where people can pimp their books and generally talk about writing? Or is that too close to advertising?

Sonshu, how many books are you intending for the series? I muchly enjoyed the very generously-sized sample, the only thing stopping me from nabbing it immediately is the huge stack of other books I've bought that I want to get out of the way first lol (so quick to buy, so long to get through!) but I will be grabbing a copy methinks :)

14. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Suh-weet! :love: Please post a positive review (I said positive) on Amazon/B&N.

Ditto that positive review on the store(s)!

As for editing: one friend, my mother (extensive -- very cool mom), and a couple of complete strangers on "authonomy.com" offered editing feedback.

As for publishers: I don't have the money to pay for a publisher. I sent the manuscript to half a dozen agents and got a rejection every time. So, being that I know a little html and css, I decided to make my own e-book. After stumbling around with bad instructions from my google searches, I eventually came across Calibre and Sigil. Both are free, and obviously both work. Calibre turns a text file into an "epub" file (but it's not perfect, so you really need to know some html/css). Sigil is an easy-to-use converter. After building an epub file in Calibre, I used Sigil to both make a better epub file, and to convert it into a mobi file.

Voila. Upload the mobi to Amazon and the epub to Barnes & Noble.

The cover photo I purchased from ShutterStock for $19 (US). My neighbor happens to be a professional designer. For a neighborly fee he touched it up and stuck words on it.

15. Sonshu

I think in the first set there will be 6 books to finish it off (the plot runs that far without as there is a hell of a lot to cover).

Chapter 1-3, really these just set the scene and introduce the main players in the book. The proper plot really kicks off at chapter 6, its when things REALLY go wrong for them. :)

It is hard as you want to build things up but can't show your full hand within the first 3 chapters or people won't read on – It’s a real balancing act.

Like all fantasy books though this is a long book which is really what the readers of these books tend to want.

Hope you do get it and questions please let me know.

16. Sonshu

I cheated, got a friend to design the cover (she nailed it) and got Robermap to do all the final editing.

I am helping with the promo work but as a publisher he will be doing most of it :) If you want we can buy each others and share notes mate.

Granted fantasy books are not for all but a few non fantasy lovers have read my work and actually said they would like to help on the 2nd book as editors etc - and to read it.

17. Gary

I'm enjoying this so far, though I've always been a fan of 'show, don't tell' and this feels like the exposition/narrative ratio is skewed more towards exposition than I'm used to.