What are you fighting for?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Late for dinner, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

At school I wanted something to get me through schoolboy scraps - rugby and aikido (only option available) worked really well actually

At university I wanted to find a style that was more complete (mixed locks with strikes/throws etc) and had a focus on street applications so I tried the numerous styles and settled on Bujinkan/TJJ because it hurt the most and:
    - integrates strikes, locks, throws, weapons etc from day 1
    - tries to find ways to survive vs bigger, stronger, armed opponents
    - looks for lateral solutions to martial situations, which is appealing
    I ended up enjoying the traditional/historical elements and waiving around swords & long sticks is fun too

After university I wanted to make sure that, as a martial artist more generally, I closed down gaps in my knowledge/skills so I tried other styles as a compliment to Bujinkan/TJJ

And settled on BJJ because the principles used are very consistent with traditional Japanese arts (it has the same roots), it has developed an expertise in the ground (Buj/TJJ only has rudimentary/basic groundwork) and those Brazilians are tough so it's a great way to learn to apply techniques under pressure

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. Ericlobster

Ericlobster New Member

Build up confidence. Learn how to physically stand up for myself. Confidence overall basically. I want to be my best self. Mostly confident though like those southern rappers.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  3. BrendanCassidy

BrendanCassidy Valued Member

I practice...

For these reasons..

1. To be the best...

2. To get exercise..

3. To look and feel better..

4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I started for fitness and self defense.
    Over time I had made sure that schools i trained at taught me applicable skills in live training, and plenty of pressure to increase the level of the skills.

After years away from a school in have gone back and now train in a school to keep most of my skills in check- nothing too intense (I'm too old and asthmatic causing regular illness in intense physical schools).

Although the fire burns that I'd like to up the intensity (like training in a pro gym) to sharpen my skills again, i have to accept that my body cannot cope with it.

5. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

I think there's mutliple reasons.

I train in what I do because it's what I've found to suit me best (Okinawan Tode), especially with cross training to fill in any gaps in my personal skillset.

I train because I now run my own small dojo and I need to keep my standard up to ensure I'm teaching correctly and constantly building on myself so I've always got something more to work on coaching-wise.

Mostly it's what I am. Karate started off as something I did, now it's really a massive chunk of my identity and I'd be lost without it.

That's a few off the top of my head.

6. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I fight because it's the only way to learn how to fight.

7. michelle103

michelle103 New Member

I started learning Wing Chun and this sets me up to defend myself when confronted in a very close distance like getting grabbed.