Cauliflower or not cauliflower

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Latikos, May 4, 2016.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

As a nurse Ben how do feel about people turning up to A&E with things that aren't strictly accidents or emergencies (apologies if that's not your area)?
    I often feel that this sort of "it's not an emergency per se but I'd REALLY like someone qualified to look at it" problem is what's missing from medical care in the UK.
    Or certainly how best to access that sort of service isn't widely known.

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The thing with minor injuries is that they've become pretty much the demesne of emergency medicine, so they pretty much have to come to us. With traumatic injuries under 2 weeks old GP surgeries will often actually turn people away and say go to ED in case you need an X-ray.
    As long as it's not too insignificant we don't mind. In theory your first port of call should probably be a walk in centre, but they tend to be very geared towards minor illness and you get the same issue as with GP surgeries. Ironically it's the one area where you're better off living in a rural locale, because they've got excellent community MIUs.
    There is some talk about direct access physio assessment clinics, which I think would be a fantastic idea, but I'm not entirely sure how it will ever be resourced.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  3. Ben Gash CLF

No, it was negligent. I have eye gouges and tearing attacks to the testes in my syllabus, I don't get people to do them in gradings.

4. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

For what it's worth: That's probably what I would have done either :eek: :D

I don't mind, don't worry.

Are those some "department" of your ER?
    Just curious, because we don't have that. I actually had to go the "normal" ER here with an infection in my arm... They greeted me by name :eek:

I guess, I'll visit my house physician tomorrow and see, what he says.
    Can get another thing sorted out at the same time then.

Oh, the joy. Food is overrated anyway :rolleyes:
    Luckily he only wants the money, that he actually *has* to take, because he knows about my situation.
    "Unfortunately" he also tends to refer to his colleagues, when he sees they know better, because their specialized.

If not totally necessary I wouldn't want it cut open though.
    They did it with my arm and I had to fight infections for six months, because it wouldn't go away, until they operated it *again* (and too soon; the operation was set to be a year later; but luckily at least the bone healed well).
    It was like eating antibiotics like candy.
    I don't have luck with things like that and will probably lose my ear plus half my brain, in case they cut a hole in it :eek:

EDIT: My internet sucks today; posting this answer too roughly 45 minutes, plus the edit-time...

@Ben: Well, it's an ear-throw, there's no way around on grabbing them.
    And usually nothing happens; we had done similar techniques before (in his class and others) and nothing happened.
    In the contrary: My ears were rather tolerant against it and didn't hurt at all (not at the moment, not later).

My guess would be, it was just this once too often at a bad point of time.
    I'll survive it, I will keep going.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  5. Ben Gash CLF

Any very basic risk assessment will tell you that throwing someone by a delicate, poorly attached body part is risky. Either you will get cauliflower ear, your ear will tear or your ear will come away from the scalp. These are easily anticipated serious risks with a moderate likelihood, which makes it risky. Mechanically the throw can't work any differently than off a collar tie, just with pain compliance (which is notoriously unreliable in a real confrontation, you could find yourself holding on to the guy's detached ear while he beats you to death for pulling his ear off).
    Therefore your instructor has knowingly executed a technique with an unacceptable safety profile and you are now left having to make a decision between safeguarding your long term hearing and eating. Your instructor should have insurance. He shouldn't lose out if you make a claim anyway.

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  6. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Well, I won't die of hunger, it's not that bad.
    It's just not good either; but my own fault as well.

I'll go and see my doc tomorrow and listen to what he has to say.
    I was hoping to not see him for a while, but oh well.
    Fun day tomorrow. Finally can make an absolute loser out myself. Ugh.

7. Ben Gash CLF

How exactly???

8. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

By being a life loser with no job and until recently way too much pride to accept any help ;)
    Now I got "forced" to take it (not literally "forced"! But two of my teachers - one being the one who hurt my ear - kicked my butt often and constantly enough to finally seek help; I mentioned in another thread how much work, time, nerves and effort they put in me and how lucky I am to have them) and hopefully things might take a better turn in the long run.

Part of that help is being able to leave the current health insurance and switch to another one.
    Which means going to job center and begging there; next step is begging at another place as well...
    So, yeah, my self-respect and dignity get washed down the drain :eek:

But I might get my own apartment; a cheaper insurance (and that only gets money monthly and nothing else), so I might actually able to go see a doc when needed with a good conscience; and maybe not totally waste the rest of my life as well.
    Unfortunately that means, I need to be considered mentally ill and handicapped/ challenged
    :eek: :rolleyes:

Just where I wanted to end.
    Story of my life.
    Sorry for venting here.

9. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

If he broke your nose demoing a jab at full force to your face (knowngly) would you feel the same?

Overly aggressive demonstration in my opinion/experience is a common sign of either insecurity or of not having enough legitimate avenues to explore technique aggressively. Anyone who fights or competes in a high stress high contact-level environment is usually super chilled and controlled during demo.

I think it's poor form from your instructer, not at all your fault and nothing you should feel like a loser for.

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  10. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

He didn't do it aggressively at all.
    In the contrary: He only grabbed as tightly as was necessary. He even lost the grip (is this the right word in that context?) at times, because he wouldn't want to grab too tightly.

He's very responsible and never injured anyone before, no matter what he did.
    It was just once too often, when it was regularly necessary to train it.
    The same when my arm was broken: The other student twisted it a millimeter too far and it went from "no pain" to "broken in two places"; bad luck.

The ear didn't hurt much before, I never complained about it (so he didn't even knew it hurt that tiny little bit) and I wouldn't even have noticed that something is so wrong with ear now, if it wouldn't have itched.

Oh, I don't feel like a loser, because of the ear.

The ear was a stupid accident due to training for his grading - which went awesomely well!

He passed without question, and I got such a big praise in front of everyone (including applause) from the people that took his grading, because I apparently did such an amazing job as uke - so that was incredible and sort of awesome (even though I feel like a show-off even mentioning it :eek: )!

That my first feedback from teacher and instructors outside of the dojo and clubs I train at, and I finally realized I might not actually be as useless in "my" MA as I thought before.

That and - more important actually - seeing him pass his grading, actually made that one of the best days in my life.

What I feel like a loser about is pretty much everything else in my life ;)
    (And yeah, I have to take it with a gallows humor, otherwise I'd might snap at times or start feeling sorry for myself, which is NO alternative whatsoever :eek: )

11. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Well, congrats on the praise you received and good luck in recognising and maintaining your sense of self worth :)

12. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Thank you very much for the first part.

Only bad thing about that praise is, that now I really have to show good performance from now on :D
    As uke that's one thing, as tori... well, let's just say another :rolleyes: :D

I left behind any self worth the day I started to accept help though ;) :eek:

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

As an aside...I went to the minor injuries unit today, had my foot x-rayed by the lovely NHS staff and it turns out I broke my toe! The second bout of pain and swelling was the break shifting around. Lovely.
    They had to check it was just the phalange that was broken rather than the metatarsal (which would have needed a pot/cast) and then taped it very nicely and sent me on my way. Should be good to go in 2/4 weeks.
    I even had time to find some old geezers wallet in the toilet (with about £100 in it!) hand it in at reception and when it turned out he was waiting just like me and got it back he came over and shook my hand for being honest. :)

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  14. CauliBuds

CauliBuds New Member

Links removed.

MOD Note. Please note our rules regarding advertising. If you'd like to place a commercial advert, then please contact either Simon or Mitch.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2020
  15. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Wait. What? Which athletes have promoted this?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2020
  16. CauliBuds

CauliBuds New Member

Jamall Emmers, who has his first UFC fight on March 7th! There's another UFC fighter who loves the product but I'm not sure her manager has cleared any kind of endorsement.