Wrestling out of oly 2020

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Dead_pool, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Expected it really but still crap. One of if not the oldest sport in the world and they're dropping it from the biggest celebration of sport in the world. Sad times.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Stop the press, old article! It's from 2013!

They fought the IOC law, and wrestling Won!

4. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

Indeed, this all happened quite a while ago.

It's not quite a perfect results, however. Wrestling is still off the list of "core" sports. So, while it's in for 2020 and 2024 it will then have to compete against some nonsense like softball and wake-boarding to stay in again.

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Yeah its still a danger of leaving.

Synchronised swimming needs more TV time.

I know that they want to "jazz" up the sport. Wanting to let them dress up like No Gi rash guard and shorts rather than the singlet. With obvious derision by the wrestlers.

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Wrestling only has itself to blame. The wrestling at the 2012 games was dull as dishwater, with most matches consisting of prolonged stalling waiting for the 30 second decider.

7. PointyShinyBurn

Why obvious? I'm a (bad) wrestler and I'm all in favour of changing the uniform if it turns people off the sport.

8. PointyShinyBurn

You're talking about Greco. The Freestyle was actually mostly awesome, the way the rules tweaks have been going the last few years has been really beneficial.

9. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

So only 50% of the event then :rolleyes:

10. Mushroom

A lot of wrestlers dont want it, it's a mix bag to be fair. (I'll try and find the article in regards to view and research).
    I know the common complaint is that shorts getting in the way, it brings in an extra element of 'accidental' cheating. The whole point of the singlet is that there isnt anything to grab, bringing in looser clothing just brings unnecessary extra work.
    (Also why a lot of oly wrestlers dont wear ear guards anymore).

Saying that, in my last wrestling comp, I wore rash guard/shorts because there was a shortage of wrestlers and some NoGi people were dragged on. (Also cos it was last minute ans I couldnt find my mankini)

11. Mushroom

I would also say this as well. Also common knowledge in wrestling in the UK is very weak. I got the cheap seats for the medals end and I simply sat where I wanted. (Next to a guy who laid down and started playing on his phone)
    You watch vids of wrestling in America or Eastern Europe and you see it nearly as packed as a boxing event.

I cant remember if the rule change was in effect that time.
    (No more 5point throws, all throws now count as 3 or 4 points...needs googling later)

12. PointyShinyBurn

They needn't be looser at all, vale-tudo type shorts and a rash-guard is just as tight as a singlet and I think guys like Tsargush would probably find it trickier to cheat by grabbing a shoulder seam or waistband than they do by pulling on the straps.