All n00bies read: A guide to looking for Kung Fu Schools

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by sliver, Dec 24, 2007.

1. Napitenkah

Napitenkah Valued Member

What are you talking about?
    The ****
    That is not a swear.

2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Read the TOS - it includes starred out/disguised profanity.

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Either MAP picked up a word that you typed and changed it to **** or you typed **** to represent a swear word.

That and B.S. both violate the rules on MAP.

Please don't use swear words, abbreviations for swear words or symbols to represent swear words on MAP. :)

Mitch

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

In what way is it "well rounded"? They have absolutley no ground game for one thing

Tha's entirely down to schools, not systems

No argument here, although the requirement for sport, self-defense or tradition are sometimes diametrically opposed

Train under pressure perform under pressure.... not sure I buy the mirrors story because those suckers ain't cheap and breaking them on a regualr basis would bankrupt a club

That's not a bad thing

So in summary a crappy instructor and a crappy experience at one club soured you on a whole style?

You don't in most places to be fair.....also what do you mean by "sparring"? It has a lot of nuances

Covered already but the fault is the lack of mats and the BB's behaving like nobs - strange you reject this in what you did before yet in this school it is OK.........

Or that we think is cow poop because it doesn't exist

There is a reason for that

Personal experience is not proof of a large concept like you describe, also is notoriously unreliable with regards to these matters

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  5. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Conditioning is great but one bad fall can cause a permanent injury. Matts will condition you to a point while minimizing the risk for bad injuries. You can practise break falls on hard surfaces to further your conditioning but to spar on a cement floor is just moronic.

Monkey_Magic likes this.
  6. Napitenkah

Napitenkah Valued Member

Besides the swearing which is in the term, there is also personal attacks, which I am sure group ridiculing is, or should be part of that.
    I am pretty sure, in a thread a couple years ago, you were the one that said I shouldn't use a word, which is also used as someone's name, in another thread.
    But I used that word after someone else and Hannibal, who just happened to jump in on me here too, as soon as he saw I posted again, started demeaning and ridiculing what I said and me personally. Though they knew nothing about me. KInd of like what he is doing here again, though I am sure people will just tell me it is in my head. There is a difference between disagreeing with a viewpoint, and cutting it down, and the person that said it. He hasn't started in on the person yet, here, but he will.
    Several other members jumped in also and had fun saying what an idiot I was, directly and indirectly, in various ways, in that other thread.
    You, Mitch said nothing about that.
    I was told later what I was supposed to do, PM mods about what they can see is going on.
    But that is just added humiliation. And they usually state there are thousands of posts going on and they can't always know, even though they are right there saying I can't say fluffy bunnies
    The mods don't do anything about attacks.
    I will probably be banned for speaking out about this again, I don't care.
    I actually, after a long search, found an MA forum that members seem to be able to communicate without assumptions, demeaning remarks and more. I was actually resigned that there was no site, because I have been to most every one of them. and they all could be lumped into one big Bullshido site.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
  7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Great! Good riddance!

8. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Personal attacks are those directed at the person, not the topic of discussion.

All Hannibal's points have been directed at the topic of discussion.

Discussion is the purpose of a discussion forum.

If you don't wish to have your views questioned and discussed, you should not be posting on a discussion forum.

If you no longer feel able to abide by the rules of this discussion forum, I wish you well with wherever you choose to go.

Mitch

10. clfsean

clfsean Mo Lum Yat Ga

He's been that way on every board he's been to.

11. bagels

bagels New Member

Thank you for this post. I feel this post is the one that should be stickied as advice. The original post in this thread turns me off with comments like instructors should be "pro-fighting", look for 'full contact or heavy contact' on regular basis, etc seems to focus exclusively on people that want sport MMA and ignores many other reasons people study martial arts.

Wanting full contact on a regular basis is just lunacy for people that are not training to be sport MMA fighters. Unless that full contact gym is going to not only cover 100% of any medical expenses + any lost salary from missing work due to injuries then that is just really bad advice for many people who are not dedicating their life/career to sport MMA.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  12. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

I agree with Shifu HeZheYu: I’d certainly like to see a lightsabre form :)

Do you think we could get a lightsabre instructor for this year’s MAP meet? Is Ray Park on MAP?