Simon's Sparring Technique Series Vol. 1

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Phronetic

Phronetic Valued Member

Great video's Simon!
    Even though I practice bujinkan ninjutsu, and thus don't spar that often. (Mostly with Muay Thai friends in the weekends).
    Besides that, I can see a lot of your principles in bujinkan taijutsu as well! I've only had difficulties with making the transition to sparring (I'm only 7th kyu), but now I have some things to go on! Thanks!

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

That's very kind, thank you.

3. Simon

New video today titled 30 30 30.

This is a nice drill you can add to your routine, either with a partner with pads as I've done here, or on your own with a punch bag.

It can be just a punching drill, or kicks can be added for that little extra workout.

The idea is that we are replicating the ups and downs in sparring. Sometimes we're out of range and can catch our breath other times we're in the thick of things.

This is the martial artists version of fartlek running.

The first 30 seconds is just regular pad work, relaxed, maintaining form and balance.

Next 30 seconds is at full power, with each punch intended to be a knockout shot.

Last 30 seconds is at full tilt, with no breaks between the punches. Rat, tat, tat. One after the other.

We shot this at 08.15 this morning before class and without a warm up, so I'd want my students to be working a little harder than I did here.

3 x 30 seconds is one round.

3 or 4 rounds of this is real hard work and a nice addition to a class workout.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMuJJI2xQc4"]30 30 30 - YouTube[/ame]

4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Nice!

I guess you could do it without pads or a bag too? Just shadow boxing??

5. Simon

My only worry would be hyper extending the elbow when punching at full power.

As an eskrimador you could certainly do this drill with either one or two sticks against a tyre.

6. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Yeah, realised that after I posted.

A tyre would be great fun to whack. It's something I need to sort out now that the weather has picked up.

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

You're a Southpaw?

8. Simon

Not a true southpaw, as I'm not relying on my rear cross though.

It comes more from my JKD days, strong hand forward.

I like to come in to trapping range, so lead elbows and knees, hooks etc.

I'm pretty comfortable in left lead too though.

9. Simon

Although there is a footwork video in this series, I though I should post a few techniques I use to help my students become lighter on their feet.

All of these were shot in one take, because every time I started to shoot I had a phone call from work. I then ran out of time because students were arriving for class. So this is an honest "as it is" video shot early this morning.

I've stayed away from particular footwork drills and technicalities because in my own students, especially when they shadow box, there is a tendency to plant themselves, punch, then move. I've tried to get them to be lighter, faster, more fluid and constantly moving and this is how I've gone about it.

The other thing this will give you, apart from constantly being in motion, is the ability to be just out of range, then with the slightest shift, in range then out again.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKXG3pQEbd8"]Footwork - YouTube[/ame]

A lot of these drills can be done with a partner.

The forward and return is good if the puncher has a bungee cord to pull against. Just have Student A to hold the bungee and Student B do the hard work.
    I have two bungee cords fixed to the wall of my gym and I do the punching phase with them.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejQdvMsVLwY"]100 Punch Challenge.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Iain Abernethy has a very good drill where he has 3 students do a similar drill.
    One student holds the jab & hook mitts, one is punching and he has a belt around his waist. The third student takes his belts and runs it through the bet of the puncher. It's the last man's job to pull the puncher away from being able to hit the pads.
    This also adds a great cardio element to the drill.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD6AIdFKoIo"]Karate Belt & Pads Conditioning Drills - YouTube[/ame]

10. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

I'll soon post a video of me sparring but just to warn you before I publish it, you may feel that I am very weak in sparring (despite being enthusiastic about it :D and also my years of training in the art), so please be gentle :D, aside from that, i would like to point out that i was very rusty in terms of reaction, although i shouldn't use that as an excuse as from what i can tell from your videos your actually in pretty good shape :). I'll post as soon as i get the video back from my dad.

11. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

ahh umm sorry to say this but in an attempt to transfer the videos from my dad's phone, I deleted it thinking that the transfer was complete, so the only existing video of my sparring matches is lost forever, but I'll try to describe my situation during the sparring match as detail as possible, basically being the young and naive lad i was, i liked to use a lot of jumping kicks, and especially against two opponents this is completely an ineffective way of fighting, but being nearly twice as small as my juniors, i thought of trying to even the playing field by trying to aim for their heads with my jumping kicks. Of course, the plan backfired, whilst I was aiming for one of my opponents face, my other opponent moved to my side and kicked my inner thigh, which caused me to collapse and unable to spar for at least a minute. After a minute of trying to get back on my feet, I decided to go with solid kicks instead of jumping kicks, but due to my range of kicks of course I was creamed by my opponents who were both twice my height. but in the end i still past my 2nd Dan black belt test, luckily my master didn't include results of the sparring match into our results :D, but all i can say is that one of the reasons my utter defeat that day was because of two things, my tendency to do jumping kicks and my lack of practice of sparring :D, but other than that i can't think what other strategies should i thought of that day, and for that I've come here to ask you for advice.

12. Soonmixdin

Soonmixdin New Member

It sounds very much like you were unprepared for the 2on1, did your instructor not drill you in this? Your tactics were hideously flawed, if you thought that loads of jumping kicks to the head were the way to deal with it!

I had to fight 2on1 at my black belt grading and had been participating in sparring drills both as the one defender and as one of the two attackers for months beforehand.

The basic technique, just so you know is not to try and take both of them on at the same time. Using good footwork, line the two assailants up so that only one of them is able to attack you directly. Keep one eye on the guy behind and keep moving so that you are only ever faced up with one attacker. Simples!!

I have a video of my 2on1 black belt spar, but I will need to check whether I am allowed to upload it and share it publicly.