Everyday workout

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by durbgoi, Jan 27, 2014.

1. durbgoi

durbgoi New Member

Hey everyone,

I've got a bit of time on my hands at the moment, so I'm able to donate a fair amount of each day to training. I've been out of the game for some years, but i've just started Taekwondo and have a karate shodan. I'm looking to build strength, cardiovascular ability and flexibility at the moment. I've got this programme at the moment I just wondered what people think about it.

Morning
    1. Dynamic leg stretches
    2. Leg conditioning using a Bill Wallace method (holding leg out, slow then fast kicks)
    3. 10:1 Press ups, Burpees and crunches
    4. Isometric stretching (alternate days)
    5. Skipping for 10-20 minutes
    6. Shadow boxing 3x4 minute rounds.
    7. Relaxed stretching of adductors and hamstrings (i'm not really sure what else to stretch...)

In the evening I go to my normal training. One day a week I only stretch.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. ned

ned Valued Member

I'd recommend starting a log in the health and fitness section-it'll give you an incentive and make you think about your training,helping you plan your objectives and use your time a bit more efficiently. :)

3. durbgoi

durbgoi New Member

Yeah that is a good idea. I thought about it before, but now I will actually do it...

4. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

This looks like its ok imo, you have a good mix of cardio from ma and skipping rope, your doing core work as well, alot of guys skip that and as a martial artist you cant do that.
    Some constructive advice though, dont be afraid to add some upper body stretching into that mix, dont be afraid to try pull ups and dips either.
    You can actually maybe even complete that circuit twice or even three times as you get atronger.

5. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

How do you make progress?

6. bodyshot

My guess is that as your flexibility improves due to stretching and your speed and form improve due to your shadowboxing that you could judge that you had improved physically. Another big way to judge that you had improved due to this work out is rather or not the cardio is gettig any easier for you.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  7. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

seems rather haphazard. So there would be no quantitative scale of improvement?

8. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Maybe do the BW circuit as fast as possible without form deterioration and time it? Or do the circuit for a set time and record total reps/rounds?

For relative strength you could do a periodic AMRAP push up or pull up test? Or standing triple broad jump for explosiveness?

Dunno, are weights a possibility? They're easier to quantify...

9. bodyshot

Yea good point about not losing form, sometimes too much shadow boxing can do that to you, but if you improve your cardio and muscular endurance you con keep good form longer during shadow boxing, but like you said you never want to develope bad habits.