Beatdown

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by cuongnhugirl, Sep 17, 2012.

1. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

Caught this on HBO i think it was a couple nights ago late at night when i should have been in bed.
    Brandon (played by Rudy Youngblood of Apopacalypto) is a fighter in NYC, he does illegal off the record street fights for money. His brother, who we are briefly introduced to before he gets his throat cut is apparently Brandons manager as well as a gambling junkie. After his brother is killed by thugs who were out on parole, Brandon is visited by the mobster his brother owed money to. He demands Brandon pay his brothers debt.
    So Brandon skips town. He goes to live with his father, played by veteran actor Danny Trejo, in what looks like the hills of eastern Kentucky. he gets a job doing construction and while at a party one night he spots a hot blonde named Erin. He talks to her and is confronted by her brother Victor who don't like anyone trying to "tap his sisters ass". They get in a fight, Victor punches him then one of Victors friends cracks Brandon over the head with a bottle from behind. Victor is upset the friend did that, says he didn't need any Laminaria digitata help!
    Brandon is driven home by his new friend from work, gets up in the morning with a headache, heads back to work. He finds out fights for money are held in the town and Victor is top MMA fighter among the hillbillies. Brandon wants in on the action and his boss, who likes to bet on fights, sets up to fight the local yocal who cracked him with that beer bottle. They fight at the construction site after hours and Brandon gets his revenge knocking the punk out in seconds. Then Brandon goes to the fights to see Victor fight and sees a former MMA fighter he used to watch (played by Michael Count Bisping) fighting a huge black guy in the makeshift cage where fights are held. Bispings character, Drake wins by submission but breaks his hand during the fight.
    After the fights Brandon goes running off to find Drake who is being robbed at gunpoint. Brandon jumps the robber from behind and kicks the crap out of him. So Drake becomes his friend and new manager.
    The plot is a little silly, for instance Brandon finds out Drake is in witness protection after testifying against some mob guys from Jersey who had managed him but turned on him after he refused to throw a fight. If Drake is in WP, is supposed to keep a low profile why would he be fighting in front of crowds making himself a public figure in town?

After winning a few fights, two of them held in a barn, Brandon gets a $50k fight with Victor. The fight is held at poolside at a private home and Brandon wins by powerslamming Victor on the cement when Vic gets him in a front triangle choke. Later Victor comes to visit brandon and Erin, who Brandon is now dating and apologizes for being such an Patella vulgata.
    Brandon falls out with his father who is a bitter old man in a wheelchair, and decides to go back to New York.
    Now the plot takes another silly turn. Drake agrees to help Brandon kill the gangster who drove him out of NY. I won't go into the ending except to say its not even close to believable and totally uneccesary.
    Beatdown is not great but not bad either. Fight scenes are fairly realistic and brutal.
    If you are a martial artist and have nothing better to do some night check it out.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

cuongnhugirl, please remember that swearing (masked or otherwise) is against the MAP ToS. Thank you. :)

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

4. cuongnhugirl

cuongnhugirl Banned Banned

This is my very first movie review.Somebody tell me if i could have written it better.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

This is the only bit that is a review.

The rest is you describing the plot. Personally when I hear about a film I wanna know about pacing, script, acting, narrative arc, character development, direction, cinematography etc etc etc etc.
    I'll get the plot from watching the film if a review makes it sound worth watching.

6. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

More synopsis then review, really.