Martial Arts Planet

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet » General Topics » Self Defence
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Old 18-May-2017, 07:21 PM
Valued Member

Takeaway fight between bouncers and clubbers

Some pretty shabby boxing from even the bouncers. I thought bouncers at least had some training. A Nak Muay though would've excelled in this situation since there was some very close quarter wrestling. A single knee to the gut would've dropped the aggressors. And those elbows are lethal.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcAJI7Ubn94

I REALLY wana do muay thai!!

Last edited by EdiSco; 18-May-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Old 18-May-2017, 09:13 PM
Valued Member

I think everyone lost that.

My Blog about combat sports
Old 18-May-2017, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadderz View Post
I think everyone lost that.
From a SD perspective, the young woman at the 12 second mark, who saw something was about to kick off, and decided to get the hell out of dodge - She was a winner.

As for EVERYTHING ELSE in the video, I couldn't agree more Chadderz

Travess
Old 19-May-2017, 05:35 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdiSco View Post
Some pretty shabby boxing from even the bouncers. I thought bouncers at least had some training.
Why? I've known plenty of bouncers who didn't have any training.But don't start something with 'em.

But these guys aren't bouncers,they're uniformed security guards.I've also known plenty of security guards who were security guards because,well,they got a job being a security guard.Not because they had any skills.

I worked in a store for number of years.Security often used me as back up when busting people.Of all the guards we had over the years only 1 had any training-a champion college wrestler.

Don't make assumptions of civilian security personnel.You probably know a lot more than many of them!

I did enjoy the epic western "drag the bodies out of the saloon" finale.
Old 19-May-2017, 07:31 PM
Valued Member

Yeah. you could tell they've had zero full contact experience. The reason I posted this video is that this is exactly the type of situation someone may typically find themselves in on a night out. Of all the martial arts, Thai appears to be the most practical. And MMA, of course.
Old 19-May-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Thai appears to be the most practical. And MMA, of course.
Not always - As with everything, it is subjective...

https://facebook.com/story.php?story...28418040670597

Travess
Old 19-May-2017, 08:41 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travess View Post
Not always - As with everything, it is subjective...

https://facebook.com/story.php?story...28418040670597

Travess
Is that link shared publicly? I get 'page not available' when I go there.
Old 19-May-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morik View Post
Is that link shared publicly? I get 'page not available' when I go there.
Yes - I always double check... (and have just triple checked) I didn't even need to like the page.

Anyone else?

**EDIT** Okay, my previous link worked through my Tablet, but not through my Laptop - This one worked for both...

https://www.facebook.com/streetwiset...37852213060507

Travess

Last edited by Travess; 19-May-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 20-May-2017, 04:07 AM
boxing is fun

Quote:
Of all the martial arts, Thai appears to be the most practical. And MMA, of course.
I don't know, man. When I watch that video I'm screaming from my chair, "Ikkyo! Yankyo!" Those are aikido arm controls, and they're totally available to the security guards. Small-Circle Jujitsu finger locks come to mind, too, when the aggressors are shoving around the 0:40 mark.

I'm not dissing muay thai. I'm just saying, sometimes a screwdriver is a better tool than a hammer, so maybe no one would have gotten knocked out if the security guards had some standing-grappling tools.

My book also on Amazon
Old 20-May-2017, 08:41 AM
Valued Member

The problem with grappling is it engages you with just one opponent whereas with striking and footwork you can strike/defend and move about against more than one aggressor. Don't get me wrong! I'm not saying Muay Thai/boxing is the answer to everything..far from it!

No system can teach you how to defend yourself from a surprise weapon attack from behind. Those two pro fighters were just too cocky and arrogant. Sometimes it's best to run like the wind! It's the ego...it hurts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGZ4E-qUd1A
Old 20-May-2017, 08:22 PM
boxing is fun

Quote:
The problem with grappling is it engages you with just one opponent whereas with striking and footwork you can strike/defend and move about against more than one aggressor.
I guess I don't share your view of standing grappling (which is what I was talking about, as contrasted against rolling on the floor in the guard or mount). In the video, from about 0:48 - 1:10 the guards are trading blows, and by my view of the world they're completely engaged with 1 or 2 attackers. I could legitimately turn your words around and say "boxing is no good, because it engages you with just one opponent, whereas grappling lets you move around to engage more than one aggressor." And this video would be my supporting evidence.

Example of ikkyo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX3Oru_CbKY
The arms that were extended aggressively toward the security guards are the arms that Christian Tissier is manipulating in the opening minute of that video. He's walking around a lot because he has an open mat, but I assure you (because I've done it) that you don't have to walk around and spin that much.

My book also on Amazon