And it comes around again......

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by 47MartialMan, Aug 21, 2014.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Does it seem like the "Ferguson/Brown/Wilson" incident almost like Zimmerman Martin?

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

No.

From press reports, it seems the circumstances were quite different.

3. 47MartialMan

Ah, but which press reports are accurate?

4. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

None of them. Ever :p

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Can we ask our police to use more:

- MA,
    - stick,
    - stun gun?

If they have to shoot, can they just shoot on the leg?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7-bW3VqB2U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7-bW3VqB2U[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  6. 47MartialMan

The Press reports are the same as Zimmer/Martin. This is a Racial Unrest situation stemming from a tragic shooting and death...
    Spawning National Coverage.....It is the same

From having family and friends as LEOs, the type of training and (briefings) they get is far different than, for example-20 years ago, therefore;

All of the LEO I have come to known, actually do not desire to shoot someone. In fact, if they happen to un-holster their weapon, then that intended perpetrator had serious messed up to that point

In other words, people should be in compliance with a LEO first, if that LEO is unjust, instead of giving that LEO a hard time, one should contact the department afterwards

The problems arise when people start to become aggressive with LEO when not in compliance. As well as some LEO having a demeanor of grandeur. There is a collision

To worsen the problem, is the mass media spiraling the ordeal out of proportion for the sake of ratings. I did not see national coverage of a black LEO shooting a black person (and it was unjustified as that LEO was terminated from the force)

Police departments have increased their Public Awareness and Internal Affairs protocol. Which is why many departments are gearing with stun devices (which some of these devices having cameras)

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Your privilege is showing.

You might feel different if the cops were messing with you every single day and you knew that complaining would increase the harassment, not remove it.

The Brown shooting was the catalyst for these protests, but the underlying problem: an non-representative police force divorced from reality, has been there for years.

8. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Shooting to wound is by and large hollywood fantasy. There's reasons officers shoot for the chest.

I have no idea what's going on with this incident because there's so much bias on both sides. It seems dither police are now militarized (the whole militirisation thing is dumb btw, my understanding is the kit was lent to them by the army as part of military spending cuts, not an organized effort to buff up the police.) execution squad's attacking people in the street for doing nothing, or the protestors are all rioters.

We still don't know what happened with the shooting and there seems to be a snap reaction that a black person getting shot by police means the locals have to kick up. Even if it turns out to be justified, the actions of the officer were condemned before any substantial evidence came to light. It also strikes me that media needs to stop reporting that its a black person being shot and immeidately planting the idea it was a race fuelled execution.

As another point I've seen a lot of people pointing out the reports that he was shot 5 times as a sign of police brutality. With the amount of cop shows on tv I'm surprized more people have never seen a cop fire a gun and empty half a mag due to the adrenaline dump. As with the shooting the leg, or even shooting weapons out of people's hands, people seem to think in real life you only fire one or two shots under pressure.

9. holyheadjch

This isn't true. Black men are shot by Police all the time in the US. They don't all spark large scale protests. Several things make this incident different and protest worthy:

- Brown was unarmed
    - Eyewitnesses have said his hands were up when he was killed
    - His body was left uncovered in the middle of the street for hours
    - He was shot after jaywalking
    - A town that is two thirds black only has a couple of black officers
    - The Police withheld information about the shooting

And that's before we get into the blatant and outrageous character assassination attempts that the Ferguson PD have made.

Compare this to the case of the black guy wielding a knife who was shot by police a couple of days ago only 5 miles from where Brown was shot. No outcry. No additional protests. That's how the community reacts to a justifiable shooting.

10. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't been following the racial issues involved with the shooting, but I have been reading up on the highly militarized police force reactions and escalation of force.

Riding on top of armored personnel carriers (completely defeats the purpose of an APC, they don't even need it), starting off in the ready (weapon pointed, finger on the trigger), attacking people who are clearly reporters, wearing camo in the city like they're going to war, etc..

We had stricter ROE's for escalation of force in Afghanistan, a war zone.

11. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

The problem with that, and this has happened in NYS, if you shoot to wound they can still shoot back and then the officer dies. Police Offices are trained that shooting is only justified under specific circumstances and that if things are that serious you shoot for the central mass of the body... at least that is how it is in NYS

12. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The problem is there are massive fault-lines in American society, and incidents such as this bring them to the fore-front.

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Then there's the sheer number of rounds used. I understand that Brown was shot six times. I get that there's adrenaline in a situation like that. But six shot?! I would sort of understand, say, three shots. Six seems like overkill, literally. Never mind that two of them were head shots.

14. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I hadn't been following this until I heard that the police response had been ridiculously OTT. Having caught up with the media reports on the subject, even taken with a pinch of salt, the whole thing somewhat beggars belief.

Yeesh.

15. 47MartialMan

Was that guy shot by a white or Black LEO?

Been on both sides of the fence.......

Just like taking preventative measures in self defense (per deescalating), the same goes when up against LEO

If wasps or hornets are buzzing around (police) the worst thing to do is antagonize them further

Somewhat agree. I am not giving the "Police are innocent" perspective
    But neither am I giving it to the person shot.

What it comes down, in my mind, two people with attitudes clashing....details of how it started is sketchy

16. holyheadjch

You've been a black male?
    So you should just accept being treated like scum every time you leave your home? Even when you've done nothing to deserve that treatment?

17. 47MartialMan

Hung around black males and I was a hippie
    Basically, LEO back then was far worse using profiling and actually beating myself and others with police clubs. (And getting away with it without further investigation or media outcry)

I grown intellectually to know that back talk, screaming, and touching a LEO will get me nowhere

Here is the concept;

People who live in a society that respect the police (still knowing that police make mistakes) try not to be too confrontational

People who live in a society that is harassed by the police should look for a peaceful solution when dealing with

Some may point out that the officer in this case was giving out a command for someone to get off a street (and perhaps justifiable). Said person got agitated and cocky in return. It got physical and deadly

Others point out, the subject was "minding his own business", the cop pulled up and shot him 6 or more times, even in the back

Again, I must reiterate, I am not on either side, but I will always look for as many facts before getting on either bandwagon

18. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

<don't feel like debating anymore>

19. 47MartialMan

The law is upheld. Evidence prevails. Blatant illogical emotions fails

20. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter