Most Effective Karate System

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Indie12, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

I've had the privilege of practicing both Shorin-Ryu and Gojo-Ryu Karate over my career. I have a few former acquaintances who practice shotokan Karate and all claim it to be the best form of Karate of all the Karate systems.
    Of course I disagree, and having witness there training I just see it as a simplified version of Shorin-Ryu, of course knowing the history of Shotokan I got a little confused.

So here's my question... 1) What in your opinion (if any) is the best form of Karate system? And 2) Giving what we know about the history of Karate and particularly Shotokan Karate, is it possible that what I was witnessing wasn't in fact Shotokan Karate but something else? or is Shotokan truly a newer version of Karate?

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

kudo daido juku.

*whistles innocently*

3. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Kyokushin.

[​IMG]

4. LemonSloth

Seriously though, from my own experiences the only "good" karate has come from people who train hard and (ideally) actually have some MA experience from more than just karate.

Example: Not a fan of Wado Ryu myself but the guy nearest me who teaches it is an incredible example to anyone who wants to practice seriously. The local Goju guy (a style of karate I am a big fan of) might as well be a sub standard Shotokan sporty club (save for a couple of different techniques and some different kata you honestly couldn't tell the difference). The nearest Shotokan group is a good Shotokan group but realistically not any different to any other Shotokan club out there.

As for whether or not Shotokan is a newer version of karate...I tend to stick with something that the Wado instructor I mentioned once said - "All the different styles of karate are just different preferences in how to practice". It's not like karate is a particularly ancient art as it is.

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Enshin grabs kyokushin and throws it on the floor :p

Mitch

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  6. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Tae kwon do
    :ban:

7. Fish Of Doom

kudo headbutts enshin, throws it on the floor and pretend-stomps on it :D

8. Fish Of Doom

itf or kukki? :p

9. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

My style. It is the best fit for me. You should try it sometime. It takes a foundation of traditional karate mix in boxing, judo, kali, a dash of kung fu, a pinch of tkd, throw in some basic ground stuff plus what ever else makes you smile.

also for it to be the best you have to train harder than everybody else and retire while you are the best.

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

11. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Fear does.not exist in this dojo. Does it!

12. LemonSloth

My face when:

[​IMG]

13. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Nope Miyagi-Do bested the Kobra Kai :)

14. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

The most effective system is the one that best achieves the goals of the student. :)

15. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Dunno really, one could point out pros and cons in most of the systems. I particularly like shotokan.

How could we possibly know that without having been there?

Newer than what?

I'm a bit confused by these questions.

16. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Whichever system your current sensei practices.

17. Mantis Matt

Mantis Matt Valued Member

Just IMO, the Okinawan styles look more effective with the lower kicks, more active handwork and closer range as opposed to Japanese styles. Both Shotokan and Isshin-Ryu are styles that came from a blend of Shorin-Ryu and Goju-Ryu, yet I personally favor the latter.

18. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

I am going to address the first question - what is your goal in training? Best is a relative term, and boils down a lot of times to a per school basis and how they are teaching and training.

19. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

Best for what?

20. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

When a martial art no longer is just a martial art, but becomes a way of life, that is the one that is best for you.

I think the key is in cross-training. I learned more about Goju-ryu karate from training in other arts. This made me appreciate it more.