commands

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Light123, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Light123

Light123 Give Up On Giving Up

I go to a school that teaches TKD ad karate. At the beginning and end of every class, the one who leads says something tyhat souns like "Yoska! Rei!"

I know "Rei" means bow/respect, but what is "Yoska"? Maybe that's not he right spelling, but i'm curious

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

1) Ask them.

2) Perhaps kiotsuke, or something like that -- it sounds like "Key Oat Skay" and it means "come to attention." It's followed by the command to bow, "Rei."

3. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Also, bear in mind that a great many karate schools no longer have actual ties to Japan. I have heard of quite a number that no longer use or pronounce their Japanese commands correctly.

4. Theidiot

Theidiot New Member

I'm confused.

Is it taekwondo or karate? Both have the same roots. Except taekwondo perhaps has slightly more emphasis on kicks because of the historical link to taekyun, a Korean art the pre-dates karate in Korea. So basically taekwondo is largely karate but with a Korean twist.

That being the case, I can't see how it can be taekwondo and karate, with Japanese lingo. That's just karate surely. Especially when you consider he politics that led to the name taekwondo. It was basically Korea's attempt to completely snub Japanese and everything Japanese after they regained their independence after Japanese occupation.

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The historical link to teakkyon has been greatly exaggerated. And by, "greatly exaggerated," I mean there isn't one :D

I think the emphasis on kicks (which is an interesting source for debate in itself) is all post formation and largely political.

More than that, it's a Korean twist on Shotokan, not "karate," and has developed it into something quite different, with techniques being performed differently. It has also fragmented to include it's own sub-styles.

But then, Enshin has little in common with Shotokan, Shotokan little in common with Goju; karate is a very broad term indeed.

So one might well consider TKD a style of karate, but saying so means little when one considers how broad a church that is.

Which is a long winded way of saying I completely agree that it can't be "TKD" and "Karate," at the same time, and using Japanese terminology in a TKD class is wrong :D

Mitch

6. huoxingyang

huoxingyang Valued Member

Once upon a time I used to practice "Korean Karate" although we also called it TKD sometimes, and we used a mix of Korean and Japanese jargon.

This feels somewhat consistent with how martial arts schools tend to run in the Anglosphere, with a mix of local language and foreign jargon. So I can believe that in the early days when TKD really was just "Karate in Korea", they mixed in Japanese jargon just like everyone else does. :dunno:

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm sure you're right, and we know that Shotokan kata were used in the early days for example.

But I think that part of the "coming of age" of TKD was the use of Korean.

Certainly I've never trained in a class that used any Japanese terminology since 1983, but then my experience is obviously just my little microcosm. :)

Mitch