22 Push Up Challenge

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Simon, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Those of you who use social media will be familiar with the #22PushUpChallenge a campaign to raise awareness of veterans’ mental health and PTSD, and at the same time make a donation to charity.

The #22PushUpChallenge originated in the United States to raise awareness of veterans’ mental health. Since the start of 2016, the challenge has been gathering a large following with people doing 22 push-ups and then donating to veteran mental health charities.

Increasing numbers of veterans are coming to Combat Stress every year for help with mental health problems. Your donation will help us deliver services and support for these veterans.

http://www.combatstress.org.uk/

You can donate £5 by texting PTSD22 to 70004 or donate any amount online here https://heroix.everydayhero.co.uk/event/22pushupchallenge/donate

Yesterday I was nominated by Mitch, who is currently on Day 3.

John Titchen completed today and Hannibal and his students are part way through.

Rather than just post on Facebook I thought I'd share with you and one of you will get nominated tomorrow.

Please feel free to post your own press up challenge videos.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69dF7YLU6nY"]Day 1 - YouTube[/ame]

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I'm in.

Who's willing to donate with me, so you finally get to see if I'm really just a fatbeard watching MA videos in my mum's basement?

(The irony is, I am actually staying at my mum's for a month while I'm between places... yeah, between places, honest!)

I don't have much money at the moment, but I'll happily do up 22 pushups up to 20 times a day if I get a fiver per 22 donated to Combat Stress :)

I'll post my first video tomorrow (might take a while to upload, we've got copper wire that sometimes gets ploughed up round 'ere).

3. Simon

Good man, David.

I know lots of people would like to post a video, but are worried their martial arts ability isn't up to it.

Here it doesn't matter.

It's all about trying and promoting awareness.

Edit. A donation has now been made, so get posting you lot.

If you can't do 22 push ups, then do 2 x 11.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  4. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I'm at my 10th day, today.

I only recorded a video for the first day. I decided to do knuckle push-ups t challenge myself and learn to do them better. My form isn't the best, I should go much lower, I know. ... and I already heard that a few times :D

...but that's why I'm trying to get better! :)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2aXp_d9-M4"]22 push-up challenge - YouTube[/ame]

5. Simon

Awesome, knuckle push ups.

Hardcore.

6. David Harrison

PS. Good form for such a long time off, Simon!

Someone must have ploughed up the cable, because I've just lost the bandwidth to see Nachi's hardcore knuckle pushups :( [EDIT: got to see it in glorious 140p! You may not have got your nose to the floor, but you kept your core form good up until about 14! That's good going.]

Still, if it's any consolation, I heard that pushups for women are about 15 times harder than they are for men, due to upper body differences. Good job!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Awesome Nachi, just awesome. :hail:

Mitch

8. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm a little flustered over Simon's deep voice and that shag carpet . . . . . :eek::love:#Crisco

While I don't benefit from a private or non profit company aimed towards veterans with PTSD (I use our Veteran Affairs network here in the states), but as somebody who deals with it and knows how much help assistance can be, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone.

9. Ero-Sennin

You're not getting a "thanks" until you post a video -__-

(xD)

10. David Harrison

Good. As it should be :)

11. Nachi

Thanks guys! :) There's a lot I need to improve, though :D

Thank you. I find knuckle push-ups harder not mainly because if the knuckles but because there are probably different muscles involved and I can't last too long...

Yeah, women tend to have more trouble with the push-ups, though them being 15 times harder sounds... well, like a lot. Maybe that is a bit exaggerated. But I don't know :dunno:

12. Ero-Sennin

Shhhhhhh Nachi, don't talk yourself down. Instead, walk around with your chest puffed out telling everyone you're 15 times stronger than the average woman. And let's say women are generally half as strong as men, so you're 15 x .5 which actually makes you 7.5x stronger than than the average man! Time to slay some bodies! xD

13. Simon

Day 2.

The wrist is holding out, but it's clear that several months without being able to support my weight has weakened my upper body.

Still, all the time the wrist holds out I'll be making small gains.

I nominate SWC Sifu Ben.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAptBwqrJOE"]Day 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  14. Nachi

What a weird math! :D Haha, sure, excuse me for now, I'll go out to do some slaying :D

15. David Harrison

Dang! Forgot to wear my frock and heels so I look 7.5x stronger :cry:

Had to upload low quality because bandwidth is minimal here. Hopefully the dramatic music makes up for it (every martial artist needs dramatic music when they upload a video!) :p

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obhxzDpY6dk"]PushupChallenge - YouTube[/ame]

Donation made :)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  16. Simon

Good stuff, David.

Just need that slacker SWC Sifu Ben to pull his finger out.

I've nominated him via his FB account, so he'll be aware of the challenge.

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm on day 4, and have the forehead of a Klingon :D

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kwv4tbqreo"]20160901 195317 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2016
  18. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I nominated him a few weeks back when I was staying with him but it was the day after chest day and you can guess the rest... :evil:

19. Simon

I've not done any upper body work for a year due to injury.

Today was very much the day after chest day.

C'mon Ben you lightweight. :D

20. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Actually after my chest recovered that was fine. It's the ongoing saga of swelling due to the instability in my left elbow which is killing me :mad: