Journal of Aaradia's MA Journey

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by aaradia, Feb 14, 2015.

1. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I am having trouble with my digestion at the moment. I bought a tin of Kimchi yesterday. Supposedly it can help with stomach problems.

Best of luck

I hope you feel better soon.

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Thursday, July 7, 2016 - Got up extra early to pick up my custom orthotics! And I was very tired today as one of the things I have to do for awhile is give up coffee. I have depended on coffee to wake me up for decades. This is going to be tough. So I was very tired all day.

6:30 - Last half of TCC class.

7:00 - Tai Sifu CLF Class. Still detailing out formal exercise. Today's emphasis was on Siu Sup Ji. I really like this form! At the time I learned it, it was the first traditional form learned in the curriculum.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ7v93ZvvVc"]Choy Li Fut Kung Fu Siu Sup Ji - YouTube[/ame]

8:00 - Golden Leopard vs Tiger two person practice with Ms. M. She is testing soon, so we weren't breaking it down as much as we have been. Still working on details, but we need to be able to go through both sides without glitches for her test, so we were approaching it from that perspective.

8:30 - TCC Private lesson. Learned a few more steps in the double gim. The steps in this part of the form are really weird, so I am only learning a few new moves each week. I am in no hurry! Then, we continued the review of the 48 combination form.

Super excited! Talked to my instructor and asked if I needed anything for the sale that is coming up. We talked about what I will learn next and it looks like it will be the Yang small circle fast frame form! I have had that as a long term goal to learn for many years! I thought it would be longer until I got to learn it, but it looks like I get to learn it next! I like this because it is focused on teaching moving the typical large movements of Yang style into smaller movements -and with Fajing.

I said before I don't need to learn a lot of new forms at this point, just ones that are either just really cool and look like fun and/ or ones that can teach me something that isn't in forms I already know. This form fits the criteria all around.

9:00 - school closes (2 hours and 30 minutes)

Stomach pain is less. Still having other issues.

3. aaradia

Friday, July 8, 2016 -

6:30 - Weapon forms class. Bot Gwa Butterfly knives. Tai Sifu was teaching it today, which was a nice bonus. Because of that, we got extra detailing out of moves. This is normally a basic class, with details, but not "advanced" details as a lot of students are learning it for the first time and often this class is teaching the form ahead of when they learn it in the curriculum.

But Tai Sifu teaching means serious advanced details. So, as I have known the form for awhile, and it is my weapon at my curriculum level, this was an extra great class!

7:00 - Still not up to par this week, so I am allowing myself to not work out so hard this week. I took a lot of time off and just rested and chatted with fellow students.

8:00ish - TCC forms practice. Double Gim. Can't remember what else, but it was pretty much all TCC and not pushing my stances or anything. I am working my way back up to full workouts.

9:00 - school closes (1 hour and 30 minutes)

Saturday, July 9, 2016 - would normally have been a work day, but I had asked for the day off awhile ago. The school sale is one of the Saturdays in July, but I didn't know when when I had to put in leave slips. So I just guessed. The sale is next Saturday, but I kept the day off. Good thing too with the week I had.

11:05ish- got to sparring class a bit late. Apologized to Tai Sifu and joined in.

12:00 - looking for a place to do moving step.

12:10 - Well, all the mats were full with classes! So, I couldn't do moving step with Ms. R. We did some fixed step instead. Ms. D joined in a bit too. At 12:30 one class ended and we did a bit of moving step then. But Ms. R had to leave, so limited moving step practice today.

12:45ish - 9 star two person practice with Ms. D. Also a bit into it another student joined us. That would be Ms. K. One of the really impressive teenagers at the school. Great MAist with a great attitude! Very mature for her age.

Rough estimate - very rough - is we went until about 1:20ish?

1:20ish - rested.

2:00 - TCC weapon forms practice. All single Gim and double gim, all fan, and flute form.

Hope to get back to more CLF next week and pushing my stances and pace in TCC even. I did take it easy all week.

3:00 - school closes (3 hours and 5 minutes)

Went with a bunch of fellow students later that night to a sports bar/ restaurant to watch UFC 200! Had a great time!

Week 31 Total = 8 hours and 5 minutes
    -Total = 340 Hours and 36 Minutes

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  4. aaradia

Sunday, July 10, 2016 - Finally made it back to my Sunday TCC Hand forms day!

7:25 - TCC hand forms. Also mixed stretching up in between various forms. 24, 40, 108, Fajing and beginning of 48 combination. Rusty on memorization of the 40 and 108, but it should come back quickly with a little more regular practice.

I really need to get to these Sunday TCC sessions. I really enjoy them!

9:00 - 24 hour fitness closes (1 hour and 35 minutes)

5. aaradia

Monday, July 10, 2016 -

6:30 - Stick Fighting Class

7:00- CLF instructor out of town, so no private lesson. Fellow student is testing soon in TCC, so he asked if I would practice pattern with him. Yikes, I was a bit rusty in my pattern, my hand positions were a bit off.

7:15ish - Ended up not doing much for awhile- not sure why. Wasn't chatting, wasn't feeling bad......

7:30 - Brown Sash 2nd degree techniques (13 minutes) Double Dagger and Cane techniques (9 minutes). Kicking practice - yellow sash kicks - about 12 minutes

8:05ish - Techniques practice with Ms. B. Yellow, Green, and Blue sash techniques. About 25 minutes for all of them.

8:30ish - CLF solo practice. Staff, Spear, Broadsword, and stick forms. About 10 or so minutes kicking practice- most Green sash kicks

9:30 - Left before instructors left. I am just getting back in the groove. Felt fatigued, so decided to listen to my body after last weeks whole deal. And still dealing with giving up coffee, yet still not enough sleep. (2 hours and 45 minutes)

6. aaradia

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 -

6:40 - Warm up and stretching

7:00 - Solo CLF practice. Went through most of my forms, like I am supposed to start doing. Did not succeed in fitting in an hour. I went an hour and a half. A few minutes in there were helping a fellow student with remembering the staff form. Did dome detailing, but tried to just go through the forms. Was more successful in the hand forms than the weapon forms in this. Definitely the weapon forms need more work.

Formal exercise. Needed some short breaks - not good. I need to be able to do the whole thing without any breaks. Siu Moi Fa, Sup Ji Jit fu, Small 5 animal. All weapon forms. Did not get to wall bag form, or golden leopard vs tiger solo version.

About 15 minutes of kicking practice = Green sash kicks.

9:00ish- TCC practice. Double gim and part of the 48 combination form.

9:23 - school closes (2 hours and 43 minutes)

7. aaradia

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - Evening shift/ Rest day

Thursday, July 14, 2016
    -

6:30 - Last half of TCC class

7:00 - Tai Sifu CLF class. Still detailing out formal exercise. Ended with slow motion kicks. 3 on each side. I did great on my Right side. But terrible on my left.

8:00 - Golden Leopard vs Tiger two person practice with Ms. M. Getting ready for her upcoming test.

8:30 - TCC Private lesson. Double Gim. Apparently, I am only a couple of moves from the end of the form. Should have the whole thing basically memorized in the next lesson or two. Then continuing work on the 48 combination. I am really happy with my progress in this. My new instructor is able to break down my timing issues that I have had with this form in a way that is really helping it improve.

9:00 - school closes. 2 hours and 30 minutes

Friday, July 15, 2016 -

6:30 - I had to skip weapons class. Even though my membership doesn't expire until late October, the school has a sale twice a year. I went ahead and did the signing up early to be able to take advantage of some sale discounts.

Only annoying thing is new California laws that supposedly protect consumers meant the longest contract they can offer is 2 years. Very annoying. I would rather have the current rates locked in for three years. Especially since the minimum wage is going up a huge amount over the next few years, which means the memberships will probably have to go up. I am an adult, California. Let me decide how long of a contract I want to sign.:(

Ok, enough contract stuff.

7:05 - no advanced TCC class. Warmed up with double gim. Then went through most CLF hand forms. I was feeling tired. And they were setting up for the sale. So I just want at way too slow of a pace. I could have fit in all forms - including weapons - and in a shorter time. But I took a lot of breaks and was just too leisurely today. All solo CLF hand forms. Well, also I did have one legitimate reason for taking it easy. The slow motion kicks from yesterdays class aggravated my back pain, which hasn't bugged me lately. I need to figure out what is so tight and fix it. I want to do slow motion kicks regularly, but they hurt my back for sure.

8:40ish- Kicking practice - yellow sash kicks.

9:00 - left school. Going to take time out due to my slow pace. this is an estimate. 1 hour and 30 minutes

Saturday, July 16, 2016
    - School Sale day! All other activities in the school are cancelled this day, Well, actually I didn't buy anything at the sale. I have all I need right now. But part of the sale activities is they have seminars.

10:30 - I did the one on combat applications of TCC. Tai Sifu went over some of the lesser known applications of some TCC moves. Also a lot of new two person drills. Great seminar!

12:00 - Linear pattern push hands practice with Mr. L. He is testing in a couple of weeks and asked me to practice pattern with him. So we will be doing that some the next few weeks. Good review for me. I was a bit rusty on my pattern, although it came back fast.

Hung out and chatted afterwards. They had a lion dancing seminar, but I decided not to do that one. The thing is, they don't have a student lion dance team at my location. Maybe this is a set up meaning they will start one. But maybe not. I have learned to not take seminars on things I won't be able to do follow up practicing on. Seems kind of pointless to learn something that I can't follow through on. Also, with my knee issues, I won't be jumping on anyone or holding anyone up. Yes, they said they teach plenty of moves where you don't have to do that. But it seems limiting to what lion dancing really does. The drumming DOES hold great interest to me. I would like to learn that someday. I did play drums in my youth. Also, I have to stay focused on my next CLF test. Even if they did have a team starting up, I have to not get distracted from focusing on that next test. I have to prioritize. So, although Lion dancing interests me, I did not take that seminar.

Left around 1:15ish? (1 hour and 45 minutes) With all the health and car issues the last few months, I haven't hit my previous usual goal of about 15 hours a week very much. It really bugs me. This week, I would have hit it if we had had our normal practice day on Saturday. Hopefully, this will improve soon.

Week 32 Total = 12 hours and 48 minutes
    -Total = 353 Hours and 24 Minutes

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  8. aaradia

Sunday, July 17, 0016 -

7:35 - Stretched calves

7:40 - TCC hand forms. 40, 108, Fajing, first half of 48 Combination. I am focusing on the corrections in the review of this form I am currently going through in my private lessons. So, I am not doing the whole form. Just a few steps past where we have gotten to so far in the review.

9:00 - 24 hour fitness closes (1 hour and 25 minutes)

Also, I am going to track some food things here for a bit. This is tied to my stomach/ acid reflux/ intestinal issues I have been having lately. I am just starting off with trying to cut down on my coffee drastically. And my sugary foods intake. I am starting off with none of that every other day. Then, I will go every third day, and so on. (Yes, I know, I eat too much sugar, but I am trying to fix it now.)

1 cup coffee
    No dessert foods

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  9. aaradia

Monday, July 18, 2016 -

4:00 - bought the new online streaming service of techniques taught by Tai Sigung.

4:18 - stretching

4:30 - Golden Leopard vs tiger two person practice with Ms. M. Her test is in two weeks, so we are working in extra practice sessions.

5:00 - Sheesh, just wasted time. Well, except for a couple of minutes in here where I asked an instructor for stretches to be able to do slow motion kicks without it causing back soreness the next day.

5:15 - Starting to go through all solo forms. Formal exercise.

5:25ish? - Then Mr. L came in. He is getting ready to test in TCC soon, so I stopped what I was starting to work on pattern push hands with him. It is a good refresher for me too.

5:45 - Resumed going through all forms. Did rest of solo hand forms, all weapon forms, and solo version of golden leopard vs tiger. Started wall bag, but I was very rusty on it. So I only got a third? Maybe a quarter? into it. It will come back to me quickly. I just need a session or two practicing to remember it.

Anyways, fit a LOT into that 45 minutes. Put together with my formal exercise, I would have made it all within an hour, which is the goal. I did get the rest time of doing pattern though. Still it is faster than when I have done this before. Very tiring though!

6:30 - Stick Fighting class.

7:00 - Was VERY tired. So I rested. But I rested too long. Got to talking with an instructor and time got away from me. Didn't mean to rest that long. But it was an informative discussion. Oh, I also asked this instructor the same question I asked another one earlier. Some things to do to get my back pain to not happen after slow motion kicks.

7:50ish - TCC weapon forms practice. All fan forms, 32 gim on regular side, Flute form, double gim, solo practice of two person sabre.

Wow, that earlier workout took its toll. I lagged and didn't do kicking practice.

9:05 - school closes. Instructors had the night off from their training as they worked all day Saturday for the school sale. Ack, forgot about that or I would have come in earlier! (3 hours and 52 minutes)

Went home and checked out the new online streaming techniques service I just bought. Wow, just wow! Great quality!

1 & 1/2 cup coffee.
    Dessert

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  10. aaradia

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 -

6:35 - Warm up and Stretching

7:00 - Sparring class

8:00- REALLY fatigued since yesterday. That running through all the forms really tired me out. But the bigger thing is that I am still dealing with the drastic cut down of coffee. So, I rested a bit.

8:20 - TCC weapon forms. Sabre, other side of 32 Gim, 54 Gim.

8:48 - Kicking practice. Yellow sash kicks.

9:05ish- school closes (2 hours and 10 minutes)

No coffee
    small dessert (1 Halloween sized pack M&M's)

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - evening shift/ rest day.

No coffee

Sweets - chocolate

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  11. aaradia

Thursday, July 21, 2016 -

6:30 - Last half of TCC class

7:00 - Tai Sifu Class. Still reviewing formal exercise. Then some 9 start two person practice. Then some teaching and drills of all the variations of the Cross Step stance.

8:00 - Golden Leopard vs Tiger two person practice with Ms. M. First side and some details on both sides seem to be getting better. Our distance is improving, we aren't getting too close nearly as much as we were. But we still have glitches and hiccups in going through the second side. Need to get over it asap as her test is in two weeks.

8:30 - TCC private lesson. Finished learning the double gim form. :happy: :banana: Continued review and detailing out 48 combination form. He asked what I want to learn next and I reminded him we had talked about the Small circle fast frame form recently. I then said "if you think I am ready for it." He said he will talk to Tai Sifu and see if he approves and if so we will start to go over it soon. If Tai Sifu does not think I am ready, I suppose that means I will just ask to do what it takes to be ready to learn it.

We also talked about him reviewing how my Fajing form is coming along, keep working on the newly learned double gim, and continuing the review of the 48 combination. Oh and last week we talked about more moving step instruction, but he injured right now, so I assume that is why we haven't been doing this lately.

So lots of reviews and detailing what I already know, which is just fine by me! I have mentioned before, I know a LOT of TCC forms, no hurry to learn lots more. I DO want to learn that small circle fast frame though, as it teaches different things than the forms I already know.

1 cup of coffee - no sweets

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  12. aaradia

Friday, July 22, 2016 - Well, we are having a heat wave. I don't work out as well during heat waves. Add to that that I am still adjusting to not having coffee every day. I just didn't have much in me today. I got lazy and quit my workout early and just chatted. Not good - I need to be more disciplined.

6:30 - Weapon Forms class. Bot Gwa Butterfly Knives. Regular instructor really went into more details than usual tonight. Great class!

7:00 - Advanced TCC class. Went into details of Cloud hands. Drills on doing it. Drills on applications. Again, great class! I think the class went for a half hour? As I saw the instructor in a private lesson afterwards. So it had to have ended on the half hour. I know it wasn't a full hour class.

7:30 - TCC Double Gim practice. Focusing on getting the last couple of moves down. This form has a lot of crane stances and I think it is helping me transition into crane stances with better balance. So, that is one thing this form is teaching me that other TCC forms haven't done as much.

7:45ish. This is where I just quit and was being a bum - chatting and all.

9:00 - School closes. (1 hour and 15 minutes)

No coffee- had sweets

Saturday, July 23, 2016 - Work during school open hours/ rest day.

Week 33 Total = 11 hours and 12 minutes
    -Total = 364 Hours and 36 Minutes

No Coffee - no sweets

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  13. aaradia

Sunday, July 24, 2016 -

7:38 - TCC hand forms day. 108, 40, Fajing, 2/3rds of 48 combination. Again, not doing whole form as I am focusing on details my newer instructor is giving me in a review of this form. I am going a few steps beyond, to make sure I remember the next few steps when they come up in the lesson. Started the 24 on the other side, but ran out of time only about 7 moves into it.

The memorization is coming back to me. Now that I am doing them consistently again. Still not 100% there, but should be in a couple of weeks. I do like wearing a tank top and having the mirrors/ windows acting as a mirror on all four sides. I can see when my shoulders are rising or hunching forward too much. I wonder if my instructor would be willing to let me have a lesson or two with a tank top instead of the uniform so he could see what he thinks of my shoulder movements better? My school is strict on the uniforms, well sort of and I like to follow the ideal, even if other students don't. But this would be for a reason. I think I will ask him. My shoulder position has always been a big issue, so I really would like his input without the uniform impeding what he can see.

9:00 - 24 hour fitness closes (1 hour and 22 minutes)

Oh, I did a bad thing. I tried having two cups of coffee today. BAD IDEA! My intestinal issues AND stomach pain came back. Well, now I know that coffee is a major reason behind my issues. And I am grateful it isn't something more serious. But this means I have to get used to the idea that not having coffee every day is something I will have to deal with in the long term.:(:( I was hoping it wouldn't be the case. I so love coffee. But, it is what it is, and I don't like pain or sickness. So, the coffee has to be limited big time.

Some sweets- chocolate. I do seem to be settling into the every other day, although I admit it isn't easy. Once I get more used to it, I am going to go to every third day. But I am making two major changes, and I want the sugar one to be more permanent, so I am easing into it. The coffee one, I don't want that to be permanent, but I think it may have to be.

Well, I am using the money I spent on coffee to pay for my subscription to the new online streaming service my school has for techniques. That helps a bit.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  14. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Oh man. Sorry to hear that aaradia! Coffee is my life blood the withdrawals alone are enough to make quitting a tough option let alone the fact it's so lovely.

15. aaradia

I feel the same way, but today confirmed drinking it every day or too much of it is making me ill. I should quit entirely, but I just can't. I seem to be ok with every three days, but only one cup. Granted, my idea of a cup is a VERY large cup.

If you love coffee the same way, then you understand the struggle I am going through right now and how hard it is! :cry: I have drunk coffee practically every day for at least the last 25 years - well until the last couple of weeks anyways.

16. aaradia

Monday, July 25, 2016 -

6:30 - Stick Fighting class. Wow! we had somewhere around 9 people in stick fighting class. That is REALLY great! The class wasn't doing well for awhile. For several months, it was only Ms. B and I. Now, Ms. B is a great partner, but any type of combatives class really needs more people to test your skills against. To have a variety of styles and sizes etc. to work with. The class has been on an upward trend lately. I hope this sticks! Pun not intended.

7:00 -:happy::banana: Finally a CLF private lesson! Between me being sick, holiday, and my instructor being out of town. I went 5 weeks between CLF lessons. Really happy to see my instructor too.

We went over green sash techniques. One or two techniques, the ones where I have to make adaptions as they have moves on the knee(s) and I can't do had a lot of corrections. I knew that would be the case. And there were a couple of other corrections for the other ones, but really, very few. I would go several in a row with no corrections.

That is really great! I am very happy with myself. With my instructor, to accomplish that is really huge progress!

7:30ish - can't remember what I did for a few minutes. Did I run through the double gim? Can't remember! Then I did Brown Sash 3rd degree techniques. Not sure of the time as I took a couple of breaks to go ask instructors about a couple of details.

8:00 - Techniques practice with Ms. B. First, I told her about my good lesson and thanked her for helping. I feel this practice sessions with her helped me do so well, so I let her know how appreciative I am of this. Stick and dagger techniques. Then, three of the double dagger ones.

8:30 - I stopped early. Stayed and chatted with an instructor and student, but I dunno. I just was really tired and lost motivation- something that rarely happens with me. Part of it was the lack of sleep last night. Then, the coffee two days in a row, with the extra cup yesterday, I wasn't feeling all that great physically.

Actually, left the school very late. Stayed long after the instructors left even talking to another student. But my workout was relatively short for my usual Mondays. (2 hours)

Coffee - Yeah, two days in a row. I stayed up too late watching the last couple of episodes of Game of Thrones. And I had to have coffee to get going. Not good. Also, had sweets -chocolate. Also not good.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 -
    6:30 - Golden Leopard vs Tiger two person practice with Ms. M. My left leg is really sore in a weird way. Not sure what is wrong with it. My co-worker, who does MA- said I could be dehydrated. I was like "doesn't that cause cramps? I have a pain that has lasted hours- not a cramp." He said that dehydration can cause this. I dunno. I think I will ask about this elsewhere on the forum.

Anyways, I wasn't at my best. But my partner was understanding. Her test is next Monday.

7:10ish? - Didn't do much for a few minutes.

7:19 - Ran through ALL my solo forms. Formal exercise, Siu Moi Fa, Sup Ji Jit Fu, Small 5 Animal, solo version of Golden Leopard vs Tiger, wall bag, stick, Staff, Spear, Butterfly Knives, and Broadsword. Got it done in 1 hour and 2 minutes! The goal is one hour, so practically there! Super tired afterwards, but happy I did it. And still feeling better than last time I did all the forms at once.

8:21 - Rested after doing all forms.

8:35ish - TCC double gim form. Kicking practice. A couple of blue sash kicks- mostly the power thrust and doing that multiple hits on a bag exercise. I don't know how long, but not very long.

I talked to the longest term instructor there, who I don't get a chance to talk to very often. He asked how my training was going. I discussed that and we got to my lack of hip flexibility. I asked for some exercises/ stretches from him and he gave me several. Totally worth stopping practice for as I think these stretches will help me a lot!

9:00 - school closes (2 hours and 30 minutes )

No coffee, but I failed in no sweets. Boss brought some mini cookies and my willpower faded. Still, I didn't eat as many as I normally would have. It is good to track how I am doing, so I can see when I do well and when I don't.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - Evening shift/ Rest day

17. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Don't know if it'll be helpful, but I find that, when building new habits, one of the most useful things to do is to forgive myself when I stumble. If I think negatively about it, it creates anxiety which in turn makes it tempting to give up. I find that just thinking, "well, I'm getting off track, but that's not a problem. I'll get back to it tomorrow" makes it easier for me to get back on track.

18. aaradia

Actually, that is really helpful and perfect timing. I have not been doing so good on the not eating sugar every day the last couple of days. And I have been beating myself up and all that you said.

So thanks! I WILL get back to it tomorrow! :cool:

19. aaradia

Thursday, July 28, 2016 -

6:30 - last half of TCC class. Working on pattern push hands.

7:00 - Tai Sifu class will be for a half hour at 7:30, due to some sort of other business obligation. I did some pattern drills with Mr. L as he is testing soon. There are two ways of changing direction in pattern, the arm changing way and the push hands way. Those are not official names. But the push hands way is the more advanced way. Lately, the school teaches the arm changing way more until advanced levels. Mr. L is an intermediate student. But he asked about the other way as his instructor had done both with him. But he hadn't initiated that way, just followed along.

Well, darned if I couldn't remember it! All those hours of practice to get that down- many many hours with Ms. W and Ms, R and I couldn't remember. Well, I have had to let a few TCC things slide as I focus on my next test for CLF. Pattern has been something I haven't done much.

I know it has to be this way, but very frustrating! I had Ms. R come over and she remembered. It did come back to me, although my timing is still off. I just have to do a bit of practicing here and there to get it back. Not long sessions like before, but a few minutes here and there. Anyways, as I know the arm changing way is the one really emphasized and taught at his level, it wasn't necessary to do the other way to help prepare for his test.

7:30 - Tai Sifu CLF class. Formal exercise and 9 star two person set.

8:00 - Golden Leopard vs Tiger two person practice with Ms. M.

8:30 - TCC Private lesson. Double gim and 48 combination. My instructor set up an observation for next week for Tai Sifu to look at the double gim. Tai Sifu is going out of town for almost a month soon. My instructor wants his feedback on my double gim before he goes out of town. Very cool. I am not sure it will happen though. It is very close to when he goes out of town. I think it is possible it gets rescheduled if Tai Sifu falls behind in home or school obligations getting ready for being gone so long. If so, that is ok. It will happen when he gets back. But I hope it happens as scheduled.

Also, I told my instructor about the pattern push hands problem and asked if we could review the push hands way of changing directions soon. Actually, I have never reviewed this with this instructor, so that makes it all the more reason to do so.

No coffee- but some sweets. As I mentioned to Heraclius, I have failed in this lately. Well, I am eating less, but failing in that I still had some every day the last few days.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  20. aaradia

Friday, July 29, 2016 -

6:30 - Weapon forms class=Butterfly Knives - Tai Sifu taught it again today.:banana: Yay! There is a section where you do some moves side to side. I thought the intention behind those moves was a scenario of multiple opponents at your sides. I learned that all the moves- and therefore the intention and eye focus - is to the same one opponent in the front! I am going to ask my instructor to schedule an observation for this form with Tai Sifu. Learned several places where my blade angle has been wrong too.

The thing is, this is a new form in our curriculum. And I am the only current student at this location to have had to know it in the curriculum so far. So, the instructors are on a learning curve with this form too. A lot of things are - well - not as consistently taught. So, I think I need some one on one corrections from Tai Sifu directly.

7:00 - wasted too much time chatting. I am doing this too much lately. Need to refocus a bit.

Some 9 star two person practice in here with Ms. D as well.

7:55 - Techniques practice. Yellow sash (10 minutes) & Blue sash. Can't give time as it was interrupted several times while I found an instructor to ask some questions on details. Focus on trying to fix my targets. Watching the new online streaming service has shown me some of my targets are off. Not a lot, but enough that I need to think about it and fix it. Like my elbow smashes have all been at the waist, but should be at the temple. Obvious when I think about it really. Doh!

Kicking practice. Most blue sash kicks. Then a smattering of some yellow and green sash kicks. About 25 minutes.

A bit of TCC double gim.

9:15 - I left. I could have stayed longer, but I have a long workout planned for Saturday. (1 hour and 55 minutes)

No coffee- but some sugar.