What was the last movie you watched ....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guvnor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. SaintDomingo

SaintDomingo Valued Member

Watched Creed last night for the first time and I really loved it (not biased just because I'm an Everton fan). Seriously though, it kinda hit the emotional spots like a rocky film should but it also brought in a modern touch.

Would definitely recommend!

2. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

So, I was trying to tidy and clean up tonight.
    Not successful at all to be honest, I'm really useless there.

Anyway, I threw movies into the player.
    "Captain Battle: Legacy War" (here the title is "Captain USA vs. Nazifighters", which is... I'm missing the words actually ;) ).

The movie was worse then even I expected it to be, and I like trash movies all now and then.
    But this one I couldn't even really finish; I started so many things besides, that I started to "miss" a lot :D

After that it was time for "Blood Lake: Attack of the Killer Lampreys" :D
    First positive surprise: It had Zack Ward.
    Second surprise: It was actually fun.
    Sure, it's a B-movie and no one could say it's Hollywoods finest :D , but I like creature features and was entertained, and that's all I was hoping for ^^
    EDIT: Christopher Lloyd has a small part in the movie as well, and maybe one of the worst endings ever :D

Right now "Zombeavers" is running, which was pure luck, as it's running in the telly.
    The beginning is bad, to be honest :D
    EDIT 2: "Zombeaver" just finished.
    It actually got worse, which was a shame, because I was so looking forward to seeing it.
    And when the people started to turn into zombeaver themselves I kept thinking on "Black Sheep".
    That movie at least was fun
    And I realized I might be watching to many of these movies :eek:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  3. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Z for Zachariah.

Last man on earth scientist bunker dweller (Chiwetel Ejiofor) meets up with naive/lucky last woman on earth farm girl (Margot Robbie) after a massive nuclear disaster or attack of world ending proportions. It's nice for him to meet anyone after this disaster, especially a young woman who looks like Margo Robbie. She is very lucky to meet him because he has the know how to keep them alive through another winter (she barely made it through the last one). Also he is a pretty decent guy. All is swell until possibly sketchy military survivor dude (Chris Pine), who survived the apocalypse by sheer politeness shows up. Clearly it this sort of situations things are going to be pretty tense even with the most peaceful, civilized guys.

I always love movies that make due with few people and minimal locations. There are few locations here, and only 3 characters. Not much happens through a lot of the movie, but yet a lot is going on.

4. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I think I'll watch Howl's castle some time.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  5. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Barbershop the next cut - The movie was hilarious for how bad it was, I appreciate the message they were trying to convey about gang violence, but too many ass jokes and twirking and other things just ruined this for me. 5/10

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Watching The Raid again as it's cycled back onto Prime. So much win.
    Watched Airplane! Still hilarious.
    The other day I watched Boom, Bust, Boom about financial bubbles and how we don't learn from our mistakes.

7. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I tried to watch 'Zoolander 2' as I sort of maybe enjoyed the first movie, so what not give the sequel a shot? About 40 minutes in I found out why... It is desperately unfunny and possibly even offensive to the movie watching public.

I couldn't actually continue to the end... Who knows? Maybe it took a sharp turn and went extra funny in the last half, but I wasn't prepared to find out...

8. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Watched Mad Max Fury Road again - the movie is perfection.

9. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

LOL, ya, earlier this year I watched "Airplane" and laughed many times! :jester:

Tried "Non-Stop" last night, starring Liam Neeson. Basically it's an Agatha Christie book: trap a bunch of people in a room (airplane, here) and sneakily kill one person at a time. Who is the killer? Can Liam catch him before the whole plane goes down?

Meh. It had some good moments, but it also left a lot of questions, and it just wasn't ... satisfying. It felt incomplete. There should have been some further setups, like how a known drunk who was fired from the police and who hates flying, got hired as an air marshal. And how a drunk could be so Rambo tough in the fights. And his relationship with the guy on the phone. And more of the communications between the pilots and the TSA. The story just didn't feel quite complete. :dunno:

10. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Watched The Cat Returns for the umpteenth time. Love that film.

11. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I've been watching a lot of the direct to video 'Thomas the Tank Engine' films on Amazon Prime thanks to my tiny wee small nephew. There's a lot of derailment in them...

12. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I watched 'The Wind Rises'.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2013293/

The animation as with most Ghibli films was impressive and rather charming. The dream sequences with the Italian plane enginner; I found moving. I didn't like the amount of smoking in the film seeing as I'm trying to quit and also this is a film which children would be watching. But I see smoking as a meme for someone that is stressed. So I could understand it's inclusion in the storytelling.

I would recommend the film to anyone that appreciates hand drawn animation. Especially the other Ghibli films.

The film cheer'd me up. :)

13. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

"The Maze Runner".

Sort of difficult.

I just read the first book a couple of days ago and am now reading the second one.

There are so many differences between book and movie, that it's sort of not even funny anymore.

Without having finished the trilogy yet I also assume that they changed some parts that are actually really important later on, but so far that's just speculation.

Spoiler's only about the first part, since I haven't finished the second yet:
    They left out the telepathy between Thomas and Theresa and I think that's quite a big thing.

They made really sure to show that Gally actually did die; I don't yet but somehow I doubt he stays dead

Gally... in the book he was mostly just annoying; sure they explained better why he hated Thomas, but he was only that - annoying.
    In the movie, on the other hand, he was sort of more likeable; for me anyway.

Same with Alby. I thought he was a nicely done character in the book, but in the movie he was nicer towards Thomas and not so easily irritated.

The Grievers. I was so hoping for them to actually roll at some point, but they only leapt and ran.
    I admit, they were quite cool and scary anyway, but I would have hoped to see them rolling; for some reason that was important to me ;). Maybe because it could make them possibly faster.

Theresa seemed a little... flat at times. I think I liked her more in the book, to be honest.

Chuck. Still a nice character and this is sort of complaining in a high level.
    I thought it a pity that they changed one thing a little: In the book they have a nice and sort of heartbreaking about their parents and if Chuck might see them again and such.
    That actually is still in the movie (and the actor of Chuck did a fine job there, in my opinion) but they changed it a bit: He carved a little figurine and gave it Thomas, to give it his (Chucks) parents.
    The talk itself was shortened a bit and that was sort of a too big hint, that Chuck will die at some point.

I didn't get the reasoning why they would only work with one open gate in the glade instead of all four.

The glade was under a dome in the book and it isn't in the movie.
    I admit: At first I didn't think about it, but given how it looked in the movie (everywhere desert) it's a bit weird.

I'm sure, there was more to be noticed, but these are some points I remembered on the spot

I still enjoyed the movie though.

But, in my opinion, it's definitely a movie you need to watch separated to the book, because of the differences.

In the core it's the same but there are just so many changes!
    Most of them not even that big but due to the number it's just so many.

I can imagine that some of it might be difficult to grasp, if you don't have read the book.
    I will try it out: Watching the movie again with someone who doesn't know the book ;)

"Still Alice"

A touching movie about Alzheimer's desease with a great Julianne Moore.

50 year old Alice gets the diagnosis of Alzheimer and you essentially see what it does to her and her family.

Just heartbreaking to see and makes you (well, me at least) thoughtful about it.

Two scenes I thought were "creepily awesome":

1. When she wants to go running with her husband but needs to use the loo.

She goes downstairs - and just can't find the bathroom.
    Opending door after door, one to a close twice, getting more and more panicky until she is found by her husband - and has already wet herself.

2. Her instructional video to her future self on how to perform suicide.
    She made a video with step by step instructions: There's a cupoard with a lamp on it; in it are pills with a note; take them, go to sleep, tell no one.

She needed many attempts to even get to the room and in the end takes the notebook with her, to be able to follow step after step and "remember" why she even is doing it.

She only doesn't keill herself because she drops the pills when her nurse comes home downstairs - and Alice doesn't remember what she was doing in the bathroom.
    Let alone understand, what she was about to do.

I liked it though how the "bad daughter" (would have hoped for another actress here :eek: ) actually became the "good daughter" and Mom and daughter would get close to each other, whereas the actual "good daughter" develops suddenly a very distant relationship to their mother.

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Batman vs Superman:Dawn of Justice (Ultimate Edition)

I didn't get to see this in the theater and as the "Ultimate Edition" is supposed to be THE definitive version of Snyders vision I was really looking forward to it

It sucked

The action sequences were handled well - with the warehouse scene being especially good - but the rest of the film was poorly scripted, loosely explored, had MASSIVE plot holes and left so many questions and motives unanswered.

Affleck plays an exceptional Batman; Gadot was great as Wonder Woman (and her film looks good too) and Cavill Superman is solid enough....but the weak Lois character and the laughably bad Lex Luthor (played by the normally excellent Jesse Eisenberg) drag them down

I wanted to like this film - I REALLY wanted to like this film....but it is a pretty bad. Maybe a second viewing may help, but I am not feeling up to putting myself through it so soon

4/10

15. aikiMac

What is different about the "Ultimate Edition" ?
    My son and I agree with your review (we saw it in the theater) but somewhere in the next few months we want to watch it on DVD, just because we're Batman fans. Maybe we ought to watch the Ultimate Edition?

16. Hannibal

More footage and better continuity apparently...god alone knows what the cinema version was like then

17. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

From what I recall the ultimate edition has more wastes of time like flashbacks and dreams.

18. Hannibal

The whole film was a waste of time except for the warehouse scene....and possibly Batman giving Supes a good kicking, which I did enjoy

19. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'm watching Batman v Superman right now. It's a mess of a film.

20. aikiMac

LOL, dude, we warned you! :jester: