What TV series are you watching?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by cloudz, Sep 10, 2014.

1. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I actually just watched it as well - it seems like TV execs are trying to mine DC comics for a supernatural/police type show and they're trying to slot both Lucifer and Constantine into a genre that doesn't quite fit.

I kind of miss Constantine though.

2. Pearlmks

Pearlmks Valued Member

Just FYI, pretty sure that show got cancelled.

3. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I kinda dug 'Constantine' (the TV show, not so much the Keanu Reeves' movie), I mean, yeah, he wasn't quite the same character of the comic books (incidentally, I'm reading 'Hellblazer' again), but it was watchable. I believe he's going to be or has been in 'Arrow' or 'The Flash' - I'm not up to date on either of these series...

I do like my supernatural shows, 'Supernatural', 'Buffy', 'Angel' so I'm secretly hoping that 'Lucifer' gets better, and quickly...

4. philosoraptor

It definitely had its moments! I was even ok with the movie version of Constantine but for a few scenes - Tilda Swinton was amazing and Peter Stormare was absolutely incredible. The TV show was a lot closer, I just found myself thinking that, in both Constantine and Lucifer's shows, they missed some of the real draw of the character. Constantine felt a little too bright and cheery, Lucifer feels a little too… mundane. I guess I was hoping for some real bizarreness to go down.

5. Chimpcheng

Yeah, Constantine wasn't the complete and utter barsteward he was in the comic books. You got whiffs of this in the TV show but it didn't go far enough, I suppose they didn't have the time to develop the character, having been cancelled and all.

Lucifer just isn't Lucifer. I was hoping for something along the lines of the comic books - Heaven, Hell, Purgatory, Lucifer's own Creation, the Lilim, a kick-ass Mazikeen (one of my favourite comic book characters), the Jin En Mok. Instead we get a buddy cop show...

Having said that, it is early days (i.e., one episode in)...

6. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I watched Lucifer too, I can see where this is going another detective show. Mr Robot is fantastic it's a lot more than hacking, along with True Detective and Game of Thrones, part of my top 3 of last year.

7. Chimpcheng

Love 'Game of Thrones' and I'm chomping at the bit for the next season to find out what has happened to Jon Snow.

'True Detective' I just couldn't get with. I've tried the first episode of the first season several times over but I have trouble keeping my eyes open as I find it deathly dull. However, I do understand that it has garnered rave reviews, won a ton of awards, and has a strong fan base, but I have to admit that I'm struggling with it...

8. shoebox

shoebox Valued Member

My wife and I are currently grinding through the Marvel Universe. We are on the tv show 'Agents of Shield'. It is very cheesy.

9. philosoraptor

I freakin' hate Jon Snow, whiny, emo, crybaby little jerk. He seems more at home writing sad songs about his ex girlfriend than in a melee.

10. Pearlmks

Pearlmks Valued Member

I think what happened with Constantine was they were trying to rope in the people who watch Flash, arrow, agents of shield, etc so they didn't want to make it to dark. Ended up in a weird no-man zone.

11. CrowZer0

I felt the same way with just the pilot, if you move along the way the story develops is terrific. Think of it as a very long movie instead. When the characters history, action, suspense start kicking in it becomes tremendous.

12. CrowZer0

I feel the same way about Game of Thrones Jon Snow, but I love the book version of Jon Snow. I still think it was terrible casting on Jon Snow.

13. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

The Leftovers season 2. I liked the first season, then forgot about it for a time. Binged watched all 10 episodes of season 2 over 3 days. I actually like season 2 better, it turned up the crazy quite a bit.

14. CrowZer0

I gave up on Boardwalk Empire after Season 3, but my uncle told me it gets a lot better and he's someone who doesn't like T.V. series or shows. So I thought I would check out Season 4, and it was fantastic.

15. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Started watching Lucifer.

I'm not sure about it yet, it could be decent or Lucifer himself might annoy the hell out of me. Hopefully he'll get some depth over the coming weeks.

16. Chimpcheng

I tried watching the second episode of Lucifer but I quickly got bored and started to do other things. I'll have to try to give it another go, but I'm not sure I'm "feeling" it. The comic books Lucifer was so strong and so good, and the TV counterpart is so ineffectual that it's probably bothering me more than it should and causing me to roll my eyes too much.

Apparently, they (the TV show creators) have said all along that the TV version of Lucifer wasn't going to be like the comic book at all. Even with this in mind the TV show, for me, comes off as fluff...

17. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

If I were still competing that would be my new entrance music!

I'm enjoying this show so far. It can be a little corney at times especially when they try to hard to be funny but some how they seem to have found the right blend of action and corny humor to keep it fun and not seem to much like Arrow.

I always preferrred Caity Lotz's Canary to Katie Cassidy's so I'm glad she has found a new home to despence her particular brand of League of Assasin justice.

18. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

LOL! I'm feeling the groove, too! :p

Haven't tried the show, though.

19. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

People vs. OJ Simpson starts tonight on BBC2, am going to have to get on that.

20. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Started back on Castle, which I'd dropped the ball with when I moved house last year. Ah, Stana Katic :love: :love: :love: