Chudan - different for strikes vs. kicks?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Song, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Song

Song New Member

Hello everybody,

I've got a question concerning chudan:

When practicing chudan striking techniques, I usually aim for the celiac plexus. I did so, too, when kicking.
    However, during gradings this week the teacher (of the advanced students. I am still in the beginner/intermediate class) told me to aim lower when kicking chudan. I should aim for the area above the belt, below the navel (if I got it right).

Do you aim for different areas when striking/kicking chudan? How was it taught to you?

Thank you for any feedback!

(If it is of any relevance: I am practicing shotokan style karate)

2. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

For me, it honestly depends on what kick you are using, and what you are trying to achieve with it. From a fairly rudimentary stand point, front kick for instance, aimed mid-torso, may have more of a distance creating effect, where as a one landed just above the belt knot say, would stand more of a chance of doubling someone over on the spot...

Context - Not all kicks work at all heights, in all situations.

Travess

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

the height terms are pretty broad and encompass a lot of different bodyparts. if there's no one in front of me, i don't particularly care where i aim as long as the abstracted technique is mechanically sound. if i'm hitting someone, always keeping in mind that people move, strikes miss or glance, soft tissue deforms, etc, then it would depend on what effect i want the strike to have. am i hitting just for the sake of hitting? if so, it wouldn't matter. am i throwing a power shot to try to drop someone? solar plexus, liver, spleen, or possibly below the navel; never looked at the exact physiological rationale for that one, think it comes from classical SE asian medicine concepts, but it's a traditional target for tsuki in some schools, and on paper it should allow you to attack part of the nerve supply for the abdominal wall, genitals and some leg muscles if you can hit hard enough, although i would personally not aim along the midline for that (worth noting that's it's sometimes said that a proper tsuki hitting you from the front full-force should be felt in your back)

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

(also, full bladder = ouchie if you get hit there)

5. Song

Song New Member

Thanks to both of you for the input, it's appreciated! :)

Good point. For me, when practicing / sparring with a partner, I find it somewhat easier to decide, why and where to hit - when practicing just by myself or with a sandbag however, I might have to think more about "what exactly am I practicing this technique for (powerful strike / creating distance)?" and adjust accordingly.

Yes... even when empty, quite a painful spot when getting hit, isn't it. :cry: