Back to the Source, a HEMA documentary

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Langenschwert, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DBmNVHTmNs"]Back to the source - Historical European Martial Arts documentary - YouTube[/ame]

2. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

Yeah watched it. Was really good and well balanced documentary with plenty of discussion on the way HEMA is heading, which is good. Particulary the new critical thinking on the historical source material. What would be really cool is if some more information emerged on english longsword. I think it would shake up the current way longsword is approached particulary the german/italian default setting.

3. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

More material would be great. I'd be surprised if the Harleian, Cotton Titis and Ledall were all that remain. Even a couple of others surfacing would be a big help. Time will tell. After all, they found Giganti's second book, so anything is possible.

4. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

I have to admit I have more of an interest in 18th century smallsword (closer to sport fencing) than longsword, though In my time I have had had go with Longsword, arming sword and buckler, and rapier and dagger. The little longsword work I have done is based was based on Fiore, though I will admit my footwork is better than my bladework like with most people who cross over from sport fencing. The subtlety of grip transference is truly something else in longsword.

A couple of months back I looked at Man who wol/Harleian out of curiosity. Its a shame because its all really there, an entire syllabus worth, we just need to know for sure what the terminology actually means. It probably has parralels with German/Italian longsword but until we get some pictorial evidence we wont know for sure.

That being said one interesting article I was reading claimed that english longsword stylistically may have had more beats/rebattes, that its was more 'kinetic'. This may make sense in the light that English knights were more known for dismounting when arriving to battle than actually fighting from horseback, it could be that it was more a line of battle system than the italian duelling/german skirmish play.

Guess we will never know until something else it dug up...

5. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Yeah, the "rabbit" is almost certainly a "beat". Perhaps that's an indication of it being for use against multiple opponents? Montante is essentially constant cutting while outnumbered, could be that the English sources are similar in that regard.

The Italian and particularly the German longsword systems are for duels, where you can get tangled up binding someone and work in a thrust, as opposed to being outnumbered where you have to essentially hit and run, heavy on the running part.

6. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I'll give that a watch later.

There's a HEMA event this coming Saturday and I might go and watch it. It's a Bolognese Open and if I got it right, sword and then some sword and dagger brawls!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  7. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Danelli is not at all what I expected.

8. Pointy

Pointy Valued Member

Thanks for the video link Langenschwert, it was a pretty good watch.