just posting a video and introduction

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by MAfreak, Feb 4, 2016.

1. MAfreak

MAfreak Valued Member

i have a short video with old training clips.
    since there is no user-video-section and most people don't care about videos of people they don't know, i just put it in the test-area. :D

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaNl26Og4p0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaNl26Og4p0[/ame]

some striking, some grappling, some weapons,
    not best flexibility, not best cameras. :hammer:

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Stop pratting around with swords and find a teacher.

3. MAfreak

MAfreak Valued Member

oh the first troll here.
    whats the point on the block and slash i did?

4. Dean Winchester

What you mean the dodgy looking ukenagashi and cut that lacked kahanshin and was so overbalanced you are lucky you didn't fall over?

Please do continue to call me a troll but you might want to check out my posts on here first.

So what ryu-ha do you study and who is your teacher?

5. MAfreak

MAfreak Valued Member

it was kokutsu dachi to zenkutsu dachi.
    it’s not what you say, but how you say it, what let you look like the common troll, hidden behind his keyboard.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Actually he is a highly experienced weapons practitioner and has a lineage to a traditional ryu whereas you appear to be waving a sharp piece of metal around ineffectually

7. Dean Winchester

So what you are playing with swords whilst actually doing Karate?

What ryu do you study?

Who is your teacher?

Why do you lack the appropriate use of kahanshin in your movement?

Why do you cut the way you do?

8. MAfreak

MAfreak Valued Member

hitting air is always ineffectually. true, i'm no weapons expert, but i guess, if someone would had his arm there, it would have hurt him. however, if i have critique to someone i do it friendly. is he teaching his students in that tone?

9. Hannibal

Does it matter? Does his delivery in any way invalidate his message?

Look into the history of martial arts - most of the old teachers were utter dicks to their students

Empty handed stuff done poorly is one thing; weapons are something else and are bloody dangerous. If you lack skill and an instructor it is best to leave well alone until you have one or the other

10. Dean Winchester

Thanks for the praise but just to be clear I'm not highly experienced, I was just a dude with some very good teachers. :)

11. MAfreak

MAfreak Valued Member

yes, it does matter. i was teacher too and know how to behave.

after kobudo lessons (no sword here) i did just self-study on weapons. just for fun and addition to the mma and self-defense training. i don't go and fight people with swords or would do a carefully sword sparring with something other than a bokken.

12. Hannibal

No it doesn't matter at all - that is your ego being bruised by the comment

My club has a saying - Quae Nocent Saepe Docent; You do not want this to be the case with a sword

13. Dean Winchester

You are an adult martial artist playing silly sods with weapons.

A) You should have enough fortitude to withstand the odd direct comment about your lack of judgment without getting too butt hurt.

B) You should realise from practice that training requires proper instruction.

As for if I was teaching?

Well if someone is acting like a **** they'd be told so plain and simple. Weapons training isn't day care and traditional schools aren't there for the sake of the students.

I make no apologies for being blunt as far as people playing with swords goes.

You appear to lack proper instruction and that is dangerous not only for you but also those around you.

14. MAfreak

MAfreak Valued Member

okay then we could insult each other without getting banned or something? thats the problem with the internet. many people get cheeky or cynical which most of them wouldn't do in real life. ok enough of that. as i said, no weapons expert, just self-study.
    but what he called nearly-fall-over at least were legit stances. ;)

15. Dean Winchester

16. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I'm guessing all of your training is 'self-study'?

17. Dean Winchester

Legit kamae?

Again what iai or kenjutsu ryu?

18. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

No one here has insulted you. They've simply told you your skills are awful from lack of proper instruction.

I think you'd find some of us even less pleasant in real life.

Also known as the school of utter nonsense.

No they weren't. Not even close.

19. MAfreak

MAfreak Valued Member

sure they were. karate stances, but stances. however, thank you for the article, i will read it.
    but if you think, that i'm a negligent kid, playing with daddys weapons, you are totally wrong.

20. Hannibal

You haven't been insulted

As for in real life? Ask anyone here on MAP what my day to day language and interractions are like....this is a HIGHLY sanitized version