Wing Chun class for 5 year old? NYC area

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by notmilk, Jan 20, 2016.

1. notmilk

notmilk New Member

I'm looking for some recommendation on where to send my boy to learn Wing Chun? he's only 5 years old

preferably in Brooklyn, NY

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Don't - at 5 years old it is a waste of time

TKD, Karate, Judo woudl all be much better alternatives

3. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Seconded. I usually have an age requirement around 11 years old. A 5 year old won't have the concentration or coordination required for wing chun.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Most adults don't!

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Makes you wonder why such a supposedly simple art is so hard to get right, and why no one can find a video of it working the way its meant to...:evil:

6. Subitai

Subitai Valued Member

For a 5yr old I'd highly recommend Judo. Learning breakfalls, how to roll and some discipline is all good at that age.

2cts

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I'd second, Judo for a 5 year old, its immediate, its visceral, its sport focused, its cheap and its everywhere, there literally no downsides to it.

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I live in a town of 200000 people, there's no Judo I was distressed to find when I was looking for my son.

9. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Ditto the above - judo or wrestling. kids that age naturally squabble and judo and wresting are good technical squabbling.

You can learn kung fu at 5 but it is difficult, and at the risk of upsetting some people, in my opinion Win chung can be pretty boring for a five year old. I know a hung gar teacher who has a very good class for children 5 and up. But good Kungfu classes for kids are hard to find. Its very difficult to get the balance of fun and action and technical understanding.

10. pecks

pecks Valued Member

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=swindon+judo

11. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Hmm, they were on hiatus or so I'd been told (they certainly weren't answering emails either). Good to see they're running.

12. shoebox

shoebox Valued Member

My four year old daughter (five this year) just started taking judo. Two classes in, we have hit a few rough spots like when she was gently thrown onto a crash mat by a young Sensei and when she was paired up with a boy for judo grip. Overall, she is still very timid and unsure, but when they are playing she is all smiles and loving it. Highly recommend judo, but I am sure any M.A. can be great for a kid with the right instructor. Best of luck with your search!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  13. geezer

geezer Valued Member

I teach WC to a small group of adults and mature teens. I've seen some decent kid classes for older kids, but the advice given here is solid. When I was a kid I trained in wrestling and loved it. Judo would have been equally great. By comparison WC would have seemed like practicing scales on the piano.