Give me your best over competitive guy stories

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by greg1075, Jul 2, 2015.

1. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

I still have a shiner and swollen triceps from dealing with an elbow grinding/ armbar cranking monkey earlier this week. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2015
  2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Not BJJ per se but some guy turned up for Karate one time and during sparring attempted to hip throw me onto the hardwood floor.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Guy rolled me into a bow and arrow choke, but my gi was over my chin. Not to be deterred, he decided to just crank on it until my neck nearly snapped.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Where to start,

New guys who say no experience are generally liars, I've had multiple judo Dan grades, people who run submission grappling classes, and mma fighters all claim they haven't trained before.

The most issues were with local bouncers when we first opened, I had one guys try to slam me off the mats to escape a safely applied armbar, so I went facedown and he broke his own arm.

Not safe training but certainly memorable.

A few people not tapping to chokes so they go out, they get the brain cell talk when that happens, and no rolling the rest of the session. If it happens twice they get the recovery position and water on their gi pants, if facts don't get them tapping early public humiliation does.

It's improved a lot now that we have a introduction period with no full rolling for at least four to eight weeks for newbies

5. Dead_pool

I know judo dan grades and bjj brownbelts who still do that.

6. holyheadjch

He was like 'you tapped though, right?' but I'd tap if he stabbed me with a pen knife too, doesn't make it cool.

7. Dead_pool

I'm in the middle with that, if you defend a choke by dropping the chin its up to you to escape the face bar, BUT if you want to choke someone, face chokes don't work.

What annoys me is seeing coloured belts doing it to whitebelts. That's not at all cool.

8. Dead_pool

Guys from outside who go nuts full out for 5 minutes and then take 10 minute breaks annoy me, that when I break out the 15 plus minute rounds.

9. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Newb I can forgive. Though they're still a risk for injury, at least they don't know better and lack control. Everyone struggles with it. But the over competitive kind who slaps hands for a light roll and proceeds to smash, grind and crank like they're at worlds? Oh hell no.

10. Dead_pool

There's a reason why newbs are injury machines, good SD training though, there the main reason to learn headlock escapes!

11. holyheadjch

In a competition, fine, but while rolling? He went for a choke, missed it (I didn't pull my chin in to defend), then just tried to twist my head off.

12. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i feel like the worse over-competitive people aren't even doing bjj. i found that in hapkido and aikido, you see lots of guys like kicking the bag you're holding really, really hard or cranking the wrist technique way too much. compliant training is probably worse for uke than anything.

in bjj, doesn't bother me one bit if someone gets overly aggressive. good for them.

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Guys, the MOD Team don't like the term "spaz".

You may see this as political correctness gone mad, but it's seen as short for fool, a term that is long since dead.

Only today one of the MOD tea overheard a teacher pulling up a pupil for using this term.

Please choose another term.

Thank you.

Simon.

14. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i love those days! lol

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I've been fairly fortunate. We have like a mandatory 2 month waiting for beginners. By which time they have learned to tap and to retain guard + a few subs from guard.

16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I've always understood the term to mean "lose control of your body". What does the term mean to you?

17. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

I don't think I could keep calm with someone asking if they still got a tap after almost popping my head off. When I trained jjj, one of our students was told multiple times over a long time to relax and exercise control. When the dude almost popped my elbow for the nth time I almost lost it. I've already gotten a wrist and a shoulder destroyed by idiots so now I have little patience for that kind of stuff. The dude who gave me the (non accidental) shiner and arm swelling is a blue belt. You'd think he knows better. I almost tapped to the (badly applied) razor armbar but the hulk came out. I managed to bridge and flip him, get to side control and crank a paper cutter which he defended so I drove my knee in his solar plex until the buzzer went off. The funny thing is that while I was kneeriding the daylights out of him, he gave me a panicked WTH look and seemed to truly not have a clue why I was now in smash mode, which is really out of character for me. Some people just have no awareness, I suppose. He didn't roll the rest of the night after that. Sometime I wonder whether intermediate guys like young/intermediate blue belts see a passive, bigger dude with a white belt around his waist and start salivating at the idea of bullying them around and get frustrated when/if they don't get an easy tap. I'd much rather roll with brown and black belts and be toyed with.

18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I understand that Chadderz, but this is a group decision and we feel that the derogatory use that means something like "shaking violently due to a mental disorder" is just too close to the term, fool, or spasticated.

I personally do understand that some will link the term to mean the same as you, but not all.

As a team we'd just ask that the term isn't used on MAP.

Thank you again.

19. MaxSmith

MaxSmith Valued Member

I've often said rolling with big inexperienced white belts is my BJJ self defense training.

20. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

That means he caught you in a spine lock, unless those just aren't cool there.